Boardwalk owner studio availability? (Jan/Feb, Oct/Nov)

Intotheblue

Earning My Ears
Hi all, brand new here. I’m currently looking into buying into BWV and was hoping for some current feedback on ease/difficulty of booking a standard studio room at the 11 month mark. (mostly 3-4 night stays)

I’m mostly interested in weekdays Jan-Feb, early May, late Sep, late Oct-early Nov, and first week of Dec (with flexibility).

What are the chances of securing a standard view at 8am on the 11-month mark? By 9am? 2 days past the mark? Do walkers snatch up those rooms year-round or do I have some chance at booking cheap rooms 1-2 times a year?

Thanks all and sorry for a question that gets asked a lot I’m sure.

Last edited:
We had issues with securing our October stay this year at the 11-month mark, partly due to room availability with the refurbishment and partly due to walkers. I was able to slowly add-on days as the walkers moved and had my full reservation about a week after the official 11-month mark. For our December trip last year, we didn't book until way past the 7-month, and was able to get a day here and there through stalking and waitlisted what was missing. We got our full week stay I think 2 months before the trip and then merged all of the reservations.

Hi all, brand new here. I’m currently looking into buying into BWV and was hoping for some current feedback on ease/difficulty of booking a standard studio room at the 11 month mark.

I’m mostly interested in weekdays Jan-Feb, early May, late Sep, late Oct-early Nov, and first week of Dec (with flexibility).

What are the chances of securing a standard view at 8am on the 11-month mark? By 9am? Do walkers snatch up those rooms year-round or do I have some chance at booking cheap rooms 1-2 times a year?

Crescent Lake resorts AKA BWV/BCV are notoriously difficult to book during the fall from September to January because of Food and Wine and then some of the races. This year is even worse because I know there's some refurbs going on, why DVC decided to refurb these rooms during the most popular time of the year for them boggles my mind. I personally don't have experience booking those resorts at 11 months so I couldn't say but I imagine they're rooms that likely need to be walked as much as it's frowned upon. Personally I would buy enough points to cover for a boardwalk view room just in case I can't get a standard view consistently.

We had issues with securing our October stay this year at the 11-month mark, partly due to room availability with the refurbishment and partly due to walkers. I was able to slowly add-on days as the walkers moved and had my full reservation about a week after the official 11-month mark. For our December trip last year, we didn't book until way past the 7-month, and was able to get a day here and there through stalking and waitlisted what was missing. We got our full week stay I think 2 months before the trip and then merged all of the reservations.
Thanks, yeah the renovation plus pandemic and revenge travel is really messing with consistency in data for research purposes.

I’m fine with the shorter deed length of BWV, knowing what you know now would you recommend a BWV contract to someone these days? Or would you just rent points if you could do it over again?

Crescent Lake resorts AKA BWV/BCV are notoriously difficult to book during the fall from September to January because of Food and Wine and then some of the races. This year is even worse because I know there's some refurbs going on, why DVC decided to refurb these rooms during the most popular time of the year for them boggles my mind. I personally don't have experience booking those resorts at 11 months so I couldn't say but I imagine they're rooms that likely need to be walked as much as it's frowned upon. Personally I would buy enough points to cover for a boardwalk view room just in case I can't get a standard view consistently.
Ultimately I’m fine paying extra for the garden view or whatever. I’m also looking into BCV but I like how BW has that elusive chance of cheaper rooms. 25-50% chance I’m cool with, 5% not so much

Thanks, yeah the renovation plus pandemic and revenge travel is really messing with consistency in data for research purposes.

I’m fine with the shorter deed length of BWV, knowing what you know now would you recommend a BWV contract to someone these days? Or would you just rent points if you could do it over again?
We bought resale just last year specifically for this resort because we love staying there, especially for food and wine. We were fine with the short-contract length (we also own at VGF) and with how often we go, we were saving money in the long run. I know a lot of people aren't willing to buy a 2042 contract now, but I personally would purchase again, especially now with the resale prices which are almost half of what we paid last year. In fact, we are searching for a small contract to add-on.

The ability to book a studio during the Food & Wine Festival or for December is probably the main reason people buy BWV at his time.

Because so many buy to stay for F&W or December, it is becoming increasingly difficult to book studios (esp Std & BW View) without walking the reservation. Those who end up with a studio for those times and didn't book right at 11 months are very lucky. 2 bedrooms also need to be walked for F&W or December because all of the 2 bedroom villas are lock offs at the BWV. Once the studios are gone, so are the 2 bedrooms.

That said, it is relatively easy to get a 1 bedroom villa for those times during the home resort booking period, and often 1 bedrooms can be had by booking at 7 months. Some are even able to get Boardwalk view or Standard view 1 bedrooms at 7 months.

We bought resale just last year specifically for this resort because we love staying there, especially for food and wine. We were fine with the short-contract length (we also own at VGF) and with how often we go, we were saving money in the long run. I know a lot of people aren't willing to buy a 2042 contract now, but I personally would purchase again, especially now with the resale prices which are almost half of what we paid last year. In fact, we are searching for a small contract to add-on.
Thanks. I just discovered resale prices last week and have been going down a large rabbit hole since it’s surprisingly affordable. Have you paid attention to the cheap rooms at Saratoga and Old Key West at the 7 month mark? If I can reliably get a cheap rate twice a year anywhere DVC will really work out for me

The ability to book a studio during the Food & Wine Festival or for December is probably the main reason people buy BWV at his time.

Because so many buy to stay for F&W or December, it is becoming increasingly difficult to book studios (esp Std & BW View) without walking the reservation. Those who end up with a studio for those times and didn't book right at 11 months are very lucky. 2 bedrooms also need to be walked for F&W or December because all of the 2 bedroom villas are lock offs at the BWV. Once the studios are gone, so are the 2 bedrooms.

That said, it is relatively easy to get a 1 bedroom villa for those times during the home resort booking period, and often 1 bedrooms can be had by booking at 7 months. Some are even able to get Boardwalk view or Standard view 1 bedrooms at 7 months.
Thanks. I’m mainly looking for my experience to not be a nightmare every F&W and to be able to get 3 nights of something every year without having to walk for more than a week. Seems like it’s not quite nightmare difficulty.

If I could get a cheap rate 50-75% of the time with a couple day walk then that’d be awesome (but not sure how realistic that is)

Thanks. I just discovered resale prices last week and have been going down a large rabbit hole since it’s surprisingly affordable. Have you paid attention to the cheap rooms at Saratoga and Old Key West at the 7 month mark? If I can reliably get a cheap rate twice a year anywhere DVC will really work out for me
I own BWV and SSR and book a lot of trips a few months out. Most of them are 2-4 nights in total or split stays of 2-3 nights each side of the split. I am usually a little flexible with my dates.

I have no problem getting SSR or OKW. They are the very easiest. I personally choose to only book preferred at SSR. Sometimes I've only seen standard available and sometimes only preferred. Any waitlist has always come through.

All of my BWV stays have been standard studios and most of them 5-6 night stays during Nov-Dec-Jan. I've always walked them and sometimes it's been hard. I have also had to waitlist or stalk (never got into the walk - specifically for Dec trips) but it has always come through one way or another. Only once have I had a "last minute" trip waitlist come through for BWV std.

We absolutely love BWV and I will buy more points as needed without hesitation. I've just turned 49 and DH is in his 50's though, so if you are young, maybe you have a different view. My kids are 24 and 21 and when I think about the fact that they will be 40+ when it expires, it just seems like a long time from now.

As for BCV, it is definitely harder to book there without owning. I see the chance of cheaper point stays a bigger draw than SAB (we don't care about that at all). So, easy choice for us.

I've only been a DVC member since 2017 and already my life and travel habits have gone through changes. Yours probably will, too. Go with what you love and want right now. You can make changes / adjustments along the way. I know deep down my DH is dying to stay at RIV. When I eventually cave-in, (if we like it) maybe we'll start adding on there for our old age trips. Maybe we won't want to walk to parks by then. lol

Ultimately I’m fine paying extra for the garden view or whatever. I’m also looking into BCV but I like how BW has that elusive chance of cheaper rooms. 25-50% chance I’m cool with, 5% not so much
BCV has a smaller inventory than BWV. In general BWV will be easier to book. It doesn't seem like you particularly care about which one you stay at in which case I'd recommend BWV for easier booking and cheaper price per point.

I own BWV and SSR and book a lot of trips a few months out. Most of them are 2-4 nights in total or split stays of 2-3 nights each side of the split. I am usually a little flexible with my dates.

I have no problem getting SSR or OKW. They are the very easiest. I personally choose to only book preferred at SSR. Sometimes I've only seen standard available and sometimes only preferred. Any waitlist has always come through.

All of my BWV stays have been standard studios and most of them 5-6 night stays during Nov-Dec-Jan. I've always walked them and sometimes it's been hard. I have also had to waitlist or stalk (never got into the walk - specifically for Dec trips) but it has always come through one way or another. Only once have I had a "last minute" trip waitlist come through for BWV std.

We absolutely love BWV and I will buy more points as needed without hesitation. I've just turned 49 and DH is in his 50's though, so if you are young, maybe you have a different view. My kids are 24 and 21 and when I think about the fact that they will be 40+ when it expires, it just seems like a long time from now.

As for BCV, it is definitely harder to book there without owning. I see the chance of cheaper point stays a bigger draw than SAB (we don't care about that at all). So, easy choice for us.

I've only been a DVC member since 2017 and already my life and travel habits have gone through changes. Yours probably will, too. Go with what you love and want right now. You can make changes / adjustments along the way. I know deep down my DH is dying to stay at RIV. When I eventually cave-in, (if we like it) maybe we'll start adding on there for our old age trips. Maybe we won't want to walk to parks by then. lol
I’m not far off in age so 18-19 years is plenty for me too. I can always buy another contract or maybe just move to Orlando by that point.

I’d consider your experience mostly positive and manageable in my mind, will require some change in planning habits for sure but doable. Waitlist not being totally impossible is a nice bonus.

BCV has a smaller inventory than BWV. In general BWV will be easier to book. It doesn't seem like you particularly care about which one you stay at in which case I'd recommend BWV for easier booking and cheaper price per point.
Yeah the math for BCV just makes less sense. No pool is worth it lol

Thanks. I’m mainly looking for my experience to not be a nightmare every F&W and to be able to get 3 nights of something every year without having to walk for more than a week. Seems like it’s not quite nightmare difficulty.

If I could get a cheap rate 50-75% of the time with a couple day walk then that’d be awesome (but not sure how realistic that is)

For SV studios? It will be. We sold BWV when we started having trouble getting the SV room during our October trip....so, I would not go in expecting to get SV studios at BWV from mid September to right after marathon weekend, without having to use walking.

Now, depending on when you actually go, you may be able to pick it up as walkers go by, but it will take work. Now, as mentioned, 1 bedrooms should not be as hard.

Hi all, brand new here. I’m currently looking into buying into BWV and was hoping for some current feedback on ease/difficulty of booking a standard studio room at the 11 month mark. (mostly 3-4 night stays)

What are the chances of securing a standard view at 8am on the 11-month mark? By 9am? 2 days past the mark? Do walkers snatch up those rooms year-round or do I have some chance at booking cheap rooms 1-2 times a year?

Looks like we have similar travel dates similar interest in studios. I bought my BWV resale contract about a 1-2yrs ago specifically for priority to studios and so far had no trouble getting the dates I want. This year had the challenge of rooms going into refurbishment so I grabbed Boardwalk studios for Jan instead of my usually standard and had no issue. I do get on at 8am EST at 11 month though so some planning is recommended. I think I did walk too just to be safe. There’s usually plenty of garden/pool studios available but with the refurb the rooms felt like they went a little faster this year. As for if I would recommend someone to buy a resale at a 2042 resort right now, it depends on how important it is to stay at BWV it is to you. I know financially when I bought in I was barely breaking even (around 19-20yrs left). I was okay with it because it’s a small contract and I’ll just use it until it falls off in 2042. I do also have a small contract at BCV too because stormalong bay is pretty awesome on a warm day. Prices are way more affordable now so that might still make at least up front finances make sense to buy 2042. I purely bought in because I wanted to maximize my chances for rooms for festivals so it made sense for me.

For SV studios? It will be. We sold BWV when we started having trouble getting the SV room during our October trip....so, I would not go in expecting to get SV studios at BWV from mid September to right after marathon weekend, without having to use walking.

Now, depending on when you actually go, you may be able to pick it up as walkers go by, but it will take work. Now, as mentioned, 1 bedrooms should not be as hard.
Thanks for your feedback. I’m not getting tons of points so 1br and garden view would eat up a good chunk of points, but the math still makes sense if I can get a SV in Jan or May to balance out. Were you experiencing any annoyances outside of booking October/fall?

Looks like we have similar travel dates similar interest in studios. I bought my BWV resale contract about a 1-2yrs ago specifically for priority to studios and so far had no trouble getting the dates I want. This year had the challenge of rooms going into refurbishment so I grabbed Boardwalk studios for Jan instead of my usually standard and had no issue. I do get on at 8am EST at 11 month though so some planning is recommended. I think I did walk too just to be safe. There’s usually plenty of garden/pool studios available but with the refurb the rooms felt like they went a little faster this year. As for if I would recommend someone to buy a resale at a 2042 resort right now, it depends on how important it is to stay at BWV it is to you. I know financially when I bought in I was barely breaking even (around 19-20yrs left). I was okay with it because it’s a small contract and I’ll just use it until it falls off in 2042. I do also have a small contract at BCV too because stormalong bay is pretty awesome on a warm day. Prices are way more affordable now so that might still make at least up front finances make sense to buy 2042. I purely bought in because I wanted to maximize my chances for rooms for festivals so it made sense for me.
The short contract is a bonus for me right now, especially considering maintenance fees will be like $14/point in 2042. With a good resale price I’ll be priced at what it already costs me to stay at off-sites per year, just with a big quality upgrade. Being able to do one 3 or 4 night trip in SV per year is when I go from breaking even to getting 1-2 days more than staying off-site. (Break even around 14pts/night, I will probably become very familiar with SSV and OKW too lol)

How’s the cheap months like early Dec, Jan, and May?

Last edited:
How’s the cheap months like early Dec, Jan, and May?
January after Marathon Weekend and May, especially the first two weeks, aren’t difficult (except this year when all standard view villas at BWV were blocked all of January and February).

The first week of December has historically been the highest demand week of the year for DVC, followed by Christmas to New Year’s week, followed by the second week of December. Standard view and BW view studios (and many other villas at other resorts) are walked for those weeks. And after the points charts reallocations of the last few years, those first two weeks of December aren’t the cheapest points cost anymore.

This is a room targeted by professionals 365 days a year to rent out because it's such good value. Maybe you get lucky. Heck, I got it for two nights and I don't even own BW. But you shouldn't buy expensive BW points planning to be able to book this room.

This is a room targeted by professionals 365 days a year to rent out because it's such good value. Maybe you get lucky. Heck, I got it for two nights and I don't even own BW. But you shouldn't buy expensive BW points planning to be able to book this room.
Harsh dose of reality. Now what if I get the BWV points at a really fair resale price and budget for the pool view?

There’s like 60 SV rooms and 30 BW view, plus like 180 preferred view. Those odds aren’t scaring me away quite yet

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter