• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Boat Rental and Fishing

VTGirlinNC

Earning My Ears
I'm not sure why I can't find this specific answer...are you allowed to fish on a boat rental? The guided fishing excursions are all booked. I know the boat rentals are first come first served, just want to make sure we can fish on our own without a guide.

Thank you!

The boat rentals do not come equipped with any fishing equipment. You need to book a guided fishing excursion in order to fish from a boat. Perhaps consider dock fishing at POR or Ft. W?

The boat rentals do not come equipped with any fishing equipment. You need to book a guided fishing excursion in order to fish from a boat. Perhaps consider dock fishing at POR or Ft. W?
We will be bringing our own fishing equipment, I just wasn't sure if we would get arrested by the Disney police for fishing without a guide ;)

So you can fish from shore at Port orleans or Fort Wilderness with your own equipment? I've never heard this.
Yes:

Dockside Fishing at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground​

Reel in some fun the old-fashioned way with a casting-rod fishing experience in our well-stocked waters. Casting-rod fishing gear is available for rental at:
Please note: fishing at Walt Disney World Resort is catch-and-release only.

We will be bringing our own fishing equipment, I just wasn't sure if we would get arrested by the Disney police for fishing without a guide ;)
You might. Be prepared for them to tell you this is not allowed. We did the fishing excursion and they were very strict about where we could fish and catch and release.
So you can fish from shore at Port orleans or Fort Wilderness with your own equipment? I've never heard this.
Not sure - they offer equipment rentals at the resort.
Yes:

Dockside Fishing at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground​

Reel in some fun the old-fashioned way with a casting-rod fishing experience in our well-stocked waters. Casting-rod fishing gear is available for rental at:
Please note: fishing at Walt Disney World Resort is catch-and-release only.
This is fishing with WDW gear, not gear brought from home. Hopefully someone else can chime in as to whether you can use your own or not.

You might. Be prepared for them to tell you this is not allowed. We did the fishing excursion and they were very strict about where we could fish and catch and release.

Not sure - they offer equipment rentals at the resort.

This is fishing with WDW gear, not gear brought from home. Hopefully someone else can chime in as to whether you can use your own or not.
Port Orleans has a specific area set aside for fishing, you can't cast just anywhere and it's cane pole fishing only. It's on Ol' Man Island at Riverside, it ends at 1:45pm each day. You can bring your own pole at FW, and they can give you a map so you know where fishing is allowed. You can rent poles or buy bait at the Bike Barn.

I have looked into this years ago and I am 98% sure the only "free fishing" is as you list I did email them as my Father loved fishing. I do not believe you can fish from a boat. The Lakes where the boats are do have a lot of Mickey patrol boats as they are the same lakes where the water transportation is so you will likely find out the real answer very fast if not before you board the boat. Most important the rentals are by the 1/2 hour so not cheap but neither are outrages prices for a fishing excursion. I would email Disney with that specific question.

Are boat rentals back?
We loved renting and going out to the peace and calm lakes. Have really missed it.
Don’t mean guided boats. We like the pontoon by ourselves

Are boat rentals back?
We loved renting and going out to the peace and calm lakes. Have really missed it.
I believe they are as they are advertised in the WDW site but do not have a disclaimer saying they are not currently available which was the way in the past unavailable activities were identified.

Link to WDW website.

We rented a pontoon at yacht club in August. It was fun but the patrol boats are way too strict. My wife was standing for maybe 30 seconds helping my girls with something and they drove by to tell us to sit down. Later when my girls wanted to change seats because of the sun, come on it’s august, they told us to sit down again despite the fact they were already sitting before they could even come warn us.
Based on that I would say there is no way they are going to let you fish from the boat you rent.

We rented a pontoon at yacht club in August. It was fun but the patrol boats are way too strict. My wife was standing for maybe 30 seconds helping my girls with something and they drove by to tell us to sit down. Later when my girls wanted to change seats because of the sun, come on it’s august, they told us to sit down again despite the fact they were already sitting before they could even come warn us.
Based on that I would say there is no way they are going to let you fish from the boat you rent.
Exactly, you are not allowed to fish from a rented pontoon boat, shore fishing in specified locations only. Pontoon rentals have come back to a few resorts (CR and YC, may be more), however fishing from them is a no.

If you have a car, there are many lakes for fishing and the ocean and gulf aren’t that far away. You can get a fishing license online. My oldest son has been catching some pretty big bass.

9007E141-ED67-45BB-801C-C470BB67551B.jpeg23A4A65D-B492-4DB5-B54D-8C5D5725A443.jpeg

Both this bass and crappy (spec) were from Tenoroc.

Are boat rentals back?
You’re in luck! Pontoon rentals have started back up.

The SeaRaycers were dropped though. Those were the small ones for 1 to 2 people and faster than pontoons (which I think is up to 8 or 10 ppl).

Just a thought here, but why on gods good earth would anyone spend the kind of money required at a WDW resort to fish. There are hundreds of thing to do and places to see onsite. Instead go on a fishing trip. You will spend a whole lot less money and not be constantly afraid of breaking a WDW rule. Besides you might accidentally catch a gator. How fast can you cut a line?

Just a thought here, but why on gods good earth would anyone spend the kind of money required at a WDW resort to fish. There are hundreds of thing to do and places to see onsite. Instead go on a fishing trip. You will spend a whole lot less money and not be constantly afraid of breaking a WDW rule. Besides you might accidentally catch a gator. How fast can you cut a line?
Booking a fishing trip at Disney is actually cheaper than booking one where I live in NJ. We find it fun and relaxing and with 3 kids it is helpful to have the guide on board with us to help. We usually stay for 2-3 weeks at a time so it is nice to break up park days with different activities. As far as 'breaking a WDW rule' the person who commented about the rules for pontoons wasn't referring to the guided fishing trips- they don't have those rules on the excursions. Any time the boat is stopped you can stand up and move around.

We rented a pontoon boat at GF two days ago - I can confirm you are not allowed to fish from a rented WDW pontoon boat. If you want to fish from a boat, you need to book a fishing excursion.

Booking a fishing trip at Disney is actually cheaper than booking one where I live in NJ. We find it fun and relaxing and with 3 kids it is helpful to have the guide on board with us to help. We usually stay for 2-3 weeks at a time so it is nice to break up park days with different activities. As far as 'breaking a WDW rule' the person who commented about the rules for pontoons wasn't referring to the guided fishing trips- they don't have those rules on the excursions. Any time the boat is stopped you can stand up and move around.

Yes. We were told when we rented a pontoon that whenever we wanted to change seats, change driver, etc, to please stop the boat first, then move around. We changed “captain” several times during our outing no problem, and they were definitely watching

I agree, but that wasn't the question. It was basically... can I just fish off the dock and not pay for that arrangement. I don't even deny that it might be relaxing, but it is one expensive overall fishing trip. Want to really fish go to the coast and do some deep sea stuff and not try to snag whatever part of the fish that hasn't already had hundreds of hook run through it. It is a simple matter of Disney is a lot of things but it is way to expensive to be a fishing trip. Gator hunting, maybe, but not the captive fish in Disney's barrel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter