Boat Situation on Seven Seas Lagoon

mickey0624

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!
For those of you in WDW now, has boat service from the Poly and GF to the MK resumed? Also any idea if the sea racers will be available for rent in the future and if so, when? Just curious if anyone's heard if this may be discontinued? We always loved taking out the sea racers and this would have been the first time my 13 year old daughter could take her own out. We're going down in mid August. Wondering if they'll be available?

Last I heard the resort boat service has been restored but the Sea Racers are still not available for rental (although larger boats are) and the beaches are still closed even with the fencing.

As of Sunday afternoon:
  • Watercraft service is now operating as normal.
  • Resort beaches are unavailable to Guests. Movie Under the Stars will be shown in the indoor location, if applicable.
  • Guests may rent pontoon boats and Boston Whaler boats at available marinas. However, Sea Raycer rentals are not available. Sammy Duval water sports are also unavailable.
  • Guests are not permitted to fish on any resort waterway with their personal equipment at this time

Curious as to why the beaches are still closed? Wonder what they're waiting for? You would think if the beaches were going to be off limits for along period the fence would have gone there instead of at the water's edge.

Curious as to why the beaches are still closed? Wonder what they're waiting for? You would think if the beaches were going to be off limits for along period the fence would have gone there instead of at the water's edge.
The fencing they installed only strongly suggests to people not to enter the water. If someone wants to, they will simply climb through the rope...IMO, that's on them and their own dumb fault... But more importantly, it won't do ANYTHING to prevent an alligator from coming on to the beach. So, they may be looking at things they can do to prevent alligators from coming on to the beaches before they reopen the beaches.

Just speculating.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with to try and keep alligators
out. As one trapper said on TV it is nearly impossible to keep them out of where
they want to go. There is a video on you tube that shows a gator so determined to get to water that it actually climbed over a 4' chain link fence with no problem

I hope the Sea Racers come back, we love to rent them.

I use to like these too but if there are gators in the water and you fall off it could be a problem. I wonder if they will discontinue them. If there is a large population of gators they should not have had them in the first place.

Honestly I've never understood how they were allowed to operate well before the events of this past week.

It's very easy to fall off those things and end up swimming in water that you are not supposed to swim in.

Me too! I always thought "oh, they must have alligator wranglers on staff to get those suckers out every time they show up -- must be expensive!" Well, apparently not. I especially wondered at the canoes and such over at POR. I get alligators are primarily nocturnal and if a giant one shows up, it would probably be dispatched in short order, and that they normally don't prey on people but that's a lot of "normally" and "generally" and a heck of a lot of liability for what can't be a ton of money vs operating costs. I'll be curious if that stuff ever reopens.

We're talking about the blue Sea Racer two person boats right? Those aren't that easy to fall of off, unless you're acting like an idiot. They aren't like jet skis or anything.
I wish I could find the picture but the craft I'm remembering is a single person one, not 2. Even if they aren't easy to fall off of. You are able to fall off much easier than you would to fall out of a boat. And there is no doubt you are much closer to getting water in and around your face. Which I thought was something that wanted to avoid happening.

Here's a picture of the two seater Sea Raycer...

disney-s-wilderness-lodge.jpg

I wish I could find the picture but the craft I'm remembering is a single person one, not 2. Even if they aren't easy to fall off of. You are able to fall off much easier than you would to fall out of a boat. And there is no doubt you are much closer to getting water in and around your face. Which I thought was something that wanted to avoid happening.
They are pretty safe, have a set high speed limit and also there's CM patrolling the waters watching out for people trying to do stupid stuff. Again, in the many years these little boats have been operating there hasn't been any incidents of drowning (which would be the number one danger) being bit by alligators (which would be very rare since gators don't go to the deep parts of the lakes) or amoeba/bacteria/flesh eating infections.

I was reading a bit about that - It seems the amoeba are only really a problem near the shoreline/shallow water. So long as you're in deep water it's not a concern. (Which is why Disney still allowed water-skiing and para sailing.)

I have a feeling some posters are thinking of "Seadoos" and not "Sea Racers." The former is a jet ski or scooter device and the latter is a very stable boat.
I know, which is why I asked. We've rented the Sea Racers in the past and the only way you're going to fall out is if you're acting like an idiot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter