Bob Iger stands up for abortion rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. This could have been a win for Louisiana, but our DINO governor just signed a heartbeat bill. So...ugh.

I will simply say that I fail to see how it can be a winning move for the company to take a strong position on an issue where currently 48% of the country is Pro-choice and 48% pro-life. Unlike other decisive issues where the country has decidedly and consistently moved from the conservative to liberal position over the years, this is an issue that has remained divisive for over 60 years. In fact, this is the one social issue where fewer people self-identify with the traditionally liberal position (pro-choice" today than they did 25 years ago.

This is an issue where many people hold strong conviction out of compassion, not bigotry, regardless of which side you stand on. Science is and advancements in technology only add complexity to the issue and I really hope Disney does not get involved.

That said, I feel they can't help but be involved. Filming in a state means their people go into said state. They have women working for them, and women are affected by the bill. It's not unreasonable that many women working for Disney would not want to go to Alabama, and that their male coworkers might support them in that case, making it more of a headache to film in Alabama than it is worth.

That said, I feel they can't help but be involved. Filming in a state means their people go into said state. They have women working for them, and women are affected by the bill. It's not unreasonable that many women working for Disney would not want to go to Alabama, and that their male coworkers might support them in that case, making it more of a headache to film in Alabama than it is worth.
https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-ame...llster-women-are-less-likely-to-be-pro-choice

But we're not talking *all* women. We're specifically talking about women involved in the entertainment industry, which tends to be more liberal.

I appreciate the poll links. At the end of the day, maybe it's just them doing what they feel is right, and figuring it will probably pay off, businesswise, as well. (Also that it won't really be a longterm issue, since we all know this is just waiting to go to the SC and then things get messy. One state isn't the end)

But we're not talking *all* women. We're specifically talking about women involved in the entertainment industry, which tends to be more liberal.

I appreciate the poll links. At the end of the day, maybe it's just them doing what they feel is right, and figuring it will probably pay off, businesswise, as well. (Also that it won't really be a longterm issue, since we all know this is just waiting to go to the SC and then things get messy. One state isn't the end)
Just to add, Netflix is watching the legislation as well as Disney. There will be lots of jobs lost if they have to move to another state.

I will simply say that I fail to see how it can be a winning move for the company to take a strong position on an issue where currently 48% of the country is Pro-choice and 48% pro-life. Unlike other decisive issues where the country has decidedly and consistently moved from the conservative to liberal position over the years, this is an issue that has remained divisive for over 60 years. In fact, this is the one social issue where fewer people self-identify with the traditionally liberal position (pro-choice" today than they did 25 years ago.

Self-description of personal views /= preferences on policy.
2/3 of Americans believe Roe V. Wade should remain intact, also according to Gallup.
This is just as calculated as any other move they make.

I feel like this could be as important as the switch from plastic straws. It helps them look good to those who are pro-choice but by saying he is making this decision based upon employee concerns Iger can use employees as a scape goat to appease the pro-life group. Just another way to appear to make a choice without having to do much either way. I also highly doubt Disney and Netflix would be saying this if they didn't already have some other filming area, that was cheaper or had better incentives, in mind.

I feel like this could be as important as the switch from plastic straws. It helps them look good to those who are pro-choice but by saying he is making this decision based upon employee concerns Iger can use employees as a scape goat to appease the pro-life group. Just another way to appear to make a choice without having to do much either way. I also highly doubt Disney and Netflix would be saying this if they didn't already have some other filming area, that was cheaper or had better incentives, in mind.
Or maybe they truly care about their female employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter