BOG hype

Part of the hype is really the weakness of the dining in MK.

BOG doesn't serve "weird" food like Skipper Canteen. They serve french fries. So.

(SC is good, but people freak out about the menu and where are the nuggets.)

I love both places.
I'm also not one to be adventurous with my food. SC only seems like "weird food" because of the description.
But once you actually eat the food you realize its completely normal. I mean really what is so scary about steak and potato wedges or a beef pasta bake with green beans? People just need to look past the wording to see what the dishes really are or maybe Disney needs to express them more plainly.

let’s remember the “hype” started because it was the first restaurant to serve alcoholic drinks inside Magic Kingdom. Having the ambiance of a table service for lunch allowed families to experience a themed restaurant without going broke, is not the best food in Disney but is a nice place to visit

I recently posted this in another thread, but think it's worth repeating since I used BOG as the example: I think expectations also play a big role in whether you end up liking something or not. Say you go to two different restaurants. One has terrible reviews, while the other has rave reviews. Even if you have the same, perfectly average experience at both restaurants, you'll end up with a better impression of the badly reviewed one because your expectations were lower going in (while the more highly reviewed restaurant disappointed you for the same reason). I've noticed this a lot on here with popular restaurants like Be Our Guest. They're so hyped that people often go in with very high expectations, and are therefore more likely be disappointed when the restaurant doesn't meet them.

My husband and I went to BOG for dinner in October. I had reasonable expectations based on earlier reviews, and my own review was mixed (service a bit spotty, and food WAY over-salted, but enjoyed the theming and meeting the Beast). My husband, who had no idea what to expect, fell in love with everything. I think our expectations resulted in an overall pleasant experience that we'd be likely to repeat on a future trip.

I hate the word hype.

People book it because they want to book it for all sorts of reasons. Some people book it again. Those are the ones that enjoyed it for myriad reasons. Some won’t book it again. Those are the ones that didn’t enjiybit at all, or not enough.

To write it all off as “hype” insults those who enjoy it, or enjoy it enough, and for whatever reasons.

I still have never paid attention to the movie, but it’s neat inside, and I’ve throiughky enjoyed my vegetarian lunch and dinner options. I woukdnbook it again, because I enjoy it on more than one level (plus having a Fin du Monde with dinner was fun). And it’s not “hype” that I like it.

Our first time was for lunch, it was before you HAD to have an ADR so we stood in line because we didn't have anything else to do and thought why not. The food was just o.k. QS for us and I hated the whole big loud rooms. We thought it wasn't worth the price since when it was all said and done it was still just QS food. We tried it for a PPO breakfast on another trip and after that said, yep, no more. Again, the food was just o.k. it was crowded and loud and not worth the price and getting up that early for. If we want QS while at MK, we do Pecos Bills, if we want TS we love Skippers. There is always the option to just hop on the monorail to one of the resorts there for a good TS as well.

I recently posted this in another thread, but think it's worth repeating since I used BOG as the example: I think expectations also play a big role in whether you end up liking something or not. Say you go to two different restaurants. One has terrible reviews, while the other has rave reviews. Even if you have the same, perfectly average experience at both restaurants, you'll end up with a better impression of the badly reviewed one because your expectations were lower going in (while the more highly reviewed restaurant disappointed you for the same reason). I've noticed this a lot on here with popular restaurants like Be Our Guest. They're so hyped that people often go in with very high expectations, and are therefore more likely be disappointed when the restaurant doesn't meet them.

My husband and I went to BOG for dinner in October. I had reasonable expectations based on earlier reviews, and my own review was mixed (service a bit spotty, and food WAY over-salted, but enjoyed the theming and meeting the Beast). My husband, who had no idea what to expect, fell in love with everything. I think our expectations resulted in an overall pleasant experience that we'd be likely to repeat on a future trip.

This may be true of many people but in at least my case at BOG it is not.
I went to BOG for lunch on Thanksgiving 2012 which was the first day it opened (I believe it was the first day of soft opening because I think New Fantasyland actually had its grand opening on December 6th 2012). This means I had no reviews to base my expectation off of.
I absolutely adored it!

This is so true. We had heard how good both Sanaa and Jiko were and that you just had to go there and the food was the best on property. We hated Sanaa, my food was just o.k., my son actually only ate half his and my DIL sent hers back (they lived in the Chicago area at the time and had a favorite little hole in the wall Indian/African fusion type restaurant they loved so had high expectations) and our server was by far the worst we've ever had on property. Our food at Jiko was o.k. our server o.k. the atmosphere o.k. So for o.k. we got a $200 bill for two entres and two wine flights. No appetizers, no dessert. We don't mind paying for a good meal, heck we paid $750 for V&A and loved it and would do it again but not for just o.k.

This is a restaurant that children under the age of about 8 flock to in cheap costumes so they can meet a person dressed like a giant buffalo. You expected a fine dining experience??

Honestly, we have enjoyed our meals at BOG. Rainforest Cafe however, we think is absolutely horrible. Everyone has their own preferences.

If you ask me it's all about the building and rooms ... so many want to get in them, Disney can serve whatever they want.

I think breakfast is good but severely overpriced.

I think lunch is good, especially for quick service, but prices are now climbing. Good value for QSDP.

I think dinner is average and very overpriced but they have the Beast to lure you in. The room still feels like a quick serve at night, the only real variable is someone comes to you to take your order and sad that most the desserts are the same ... on DDP that is a ripoff.

We used to eat there every trip but stopped about a year ago.

I think it is especially popular with those on the dining plan because of the 'value' of a dining credit there, especially at breakfast.

We have only tried breakfast and lunch but our family is divided (except when it comes to the cherubs, we all agree the cherub paintings are unsettling). DH thinks everyone is crazy for lining up for this place, doesn't see the wow factor. I think it is beautiful and a unique place to use our QS credits.

I think it is especially popular with those on the dining plan because of the 'value' of a dining credit there, especially at breakfast.

We have only tried breakfast and lunch but our family is divided (except when it comes to the cherubs, we all agree the cherub paintings are unsettling). DH thinks everyone is crazy for lining up for this place, doesn't see the wow factor. I think it is beautiful and a unique place to use our QS credits.

DS had lunch with the imagineer in charge of New Fantasyland. He said those cherubs faces are all children of imagineers. :scratchin

I'll bet if there is a mural, there is a real person behind it.

This is a restaurant that children under the age of about 8 flock to in cheap costumes so they can meet a person dressed like a giant buffalo. You expected a fine dining experience??

Honestly, we have enjoyed our meals at BOG. Rainforest Cafe however, we think is absolutely horrible. Everyone has their own preferences.

Never noticed before, but he does look quite a bit like a buffalo! Your comment gave me a good laugh, so thanks for that.

And yes everyone has different tastes. I'd take the food at Rainforest Cafe any day over BOG. I don't think it's anything great, really hated the food the first time I went, but I've found decent dishes since then. However, I've never tried the one at Disney before. We have one not too far from where I live, so I get dragged there every now and then. Luckily, not as often now the kids are teens.

I think part of Disney's problem is they have a limited menu and don't tend to carry typical American fare, even on the kids menu, it isn't what I'd call typical kids menu food. At least with RC, I can identify everything on the menu, and it is a large enough menu for everyone in our group to find something they will at least try.

I was completely prepared to HATE BOG and at the same time didn't want to deprive my husband of the experience, so I just kept my mouth shut about that expectation. He wanted to go, and I wanted to have a glass of wine with my dinner. We really, really just wanted to see it for ourselves. But yes, I was prepared for it to be a one-and-done. Boy was I surprised. We did not want to have lunch there. I saw no redemption in that menu. And the concept of breakfast is a mere theory in our house. A PPO breakfast is the stuff our nightmares are made of. More for the rest of those people who view dawn with less derision than we do, right?

Hubby had the braised beef and I had the shrimp and scallops. Both were delicious, and I tried both. We enjoyed the environment, and we were able to largely ignore the cafeteria feel of it. There was bread service and wine and delicious food and we loved our desserts, too. Overall, we agreed that it is somewhere we'd like to return to.

Notably, we also intend to return to Yachtsman, Jiko, Hollywood Brown Derby, and Via Napoli. We'll also be checking out some of the offerings at the Dolphin and Swan, and maybe Tusker House again. I'd also like to try out Tiffin's and Victoria and Albert's. Artist Point, Citrico's, and Cali Grill seem like great options as well. What baffles me, and this is where personal preference comes in, are the people who sing the ever-lovin' praises of Crystal Palace and pooh-pooh (all puns intended) BOG. That particular divergence seems completely off to me based on my experiences.

DS had lunch with the imagineer in charge of New Fantasyland. He said those cherubs faces are all children of imagineers. :scratchin

I'll bet if there is a mural, there is a real person behind it.
Yeah we googled it while we were sitting there because they were... fascinating. We also had fun imagining what the kids thought of their paintings.

We have a BOG dinner reservation in May so it's interesting to read all the likes and dislikes. Since it's order from a menu and not a buffet, is it Ok for people to share a meal? (I'm fine paying an extra plate charge). We have some light eaters in the group and normally share a dinner - more for reasonable quantity rather than the cost.

I have had lunch at BOG 3 times. The food was good and the atmosphere fun. I have had dinner at BOG 3 times as well. Once we had the most amazing waiter, probably the best we have had at any restaurant anywhere. Twice we have had absolutely horrible waitresses. All 3 times we were served lukewarm (one dinner was actually cold) food. We have decided we won't be back for dinner. We would rather eat at Skipper's Canteen and actually get warm food and decent service.

Last year we tried to get BOG and never could. We figured with it so hard to get it must be pretty awesome! So, we had BOG for breakfast and dinner in September, it was okay food. Breakfast was good. I mean, it was as good as any normal breakfast but no where close to The Wave or Rain forest Cafe'. Dinner was okay food. Not something I will ever waste an hour of my time to eat at again. So why all the hype over this restaurant? Everyone seems to rave about it but I just don't see it. My girls liked it just because they were in Beast Castle but even the deserts were not that good.

This was the best part lol. My daughter, Belle, with the beast.

View attachment 282996

It's taken me 3 trips to get into BOG, I don't care if it's the worst food ever, I want to check it off the list!

This is my goto breakfast reservation on my MK days. It's better than having a fast pass because you can knock so many rides out within 20 minutes of park opening. The food is what it is and compared to the other choices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter