• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BOG worth it with grandparents who haven’t seen the film?

DisneyAuntie12

Mouseketeer
We will be traveling to Disney with my son’s grandparents who have never been before, and spending most of our time at Magic Kingdom. I’m hoping to get reservations for Crystal Palace for one day of the trip as that’s the most obvious choice for our group. I’m on the fence about Be Our Guest as my in-laws have never seen Beauty and the Beast. While they loved Disney shows when they were young, they haven’t seen any Disney movies made after the 1960s. My son won’t sit through Beauty and the Beast so he doesn’t know the movie either.

For people who have never seen the movie, do you think Be Our Guest would have a “wow” factor because of the “dining in a castle” element and some of the cool effects? For those with Disney nostalgia circa era 1950’s, would it speak to that? Or would it be like eating in a pretty ballroom but not much beyond that? If anyone has been with relatives who have never seen the movie would love to hear their reactions! Since it’s pretty pricey so I’m debating if it’s worth it.

I don't think it's worth it even if you have seen the movie. The atmosphere is VERY loud and chaotic. The food is pretty awful, especially for the price.

I agree.

We enjoyed the QS lunch for a couple years after BOG opened. Then, both food and service became notably worse.

We ate dinner there twice pre-pandemic and were not impressed overall either time. The decor is lovely, the food is not so much, we thought.

I agree.

We enjoyed the QS lunch for a couple years after BOG opened. Then, both food and service became notably worse.

We ate dinner there twice pre-pandemic and were not impressed overall either time. The decor is lovely, the food is not so much, we thought.
The breakfast and non prix fixe lunch were very solid and weren't too expensive, which is 100% why it was changed. I don't say this lightly but honestly the food is so bad it's at Tony's Town Square level.

If you're looking for the "Wow, we are eating in a castle," factor, definitely do CRT. Much better food and much better WOW factor. We stopped going to BOG when it became prix fixe because it was barely tolerable before that. Also, once inside, it doesn't really feel like you're in a castle, it just seems like a themed restaurant.

wasn't impressed with last visit to BOG in '21. agreed with above that it was chaotic. you're paying absolute top dollar.

if you have kids with you and it's a "must" I wouldn't bother trying to talk somebody out of it because the idea of BOG is fantastic. But I found, for what you're paying, that it wasn't really worth it.

if you're going and bringing the grandparents maybe suggest they check the film out before you go. i think that would enhance the experience (not only of the restaurant but the parks in general)

Thanks for all the input. I had thought about CRT but don’t think my son would do well with the somewhat more formal setting as he has trouble sitting still. Also thought about just going over to Chef Mickey’s but since I’m hoping to get Garden Grill and Crystal Palace, that seemed like a lot of character meals. If we don’t do BOG, I’m thinking maybe Skipper’s Canteen or an early dinner at Ohana, which would give us a monorail ride too.

I'm not sure why you consider CRT more formal than BOG. The CRT atmosphere is much homier, I feel, with rustic wooden chairs and a great view of MK. The Castle's been around long enough that it looks a bit dingy here and there, giving a medieval look to it, not nearly so movie set gorgeous as BOG.

Plus, there are diversions such as the Princesses coming to each table as well as the Wishing Star song with plastic star for each guest to wish upon. I'm not sure the magic wand or sword is still given to each child, but that's accompanied with some fanfare, too.

In short, much more to distract any child who might get restless otherwise.

Besides, as mentioned above, far better food.

I'm not sure why you consider CRT more formal than BOG. The CRT atmosphere is much homier, I feel, with rustic wooden chairs and a great view of MK. The Castle's been around long enough that it looks a bit dingy here and there, giving a medieval look to it, not nearly so movie set gorgeous as BOG.

Plus, there are diversions such as the Princesses coming to each table as well as the Wishing Star song with plastic star for each guest to wish upon. I'm not sure the magic wand or sword is still given to each child, but that's accompanied with some fanfare, too.

In short, much more to distract any child who might get restless otherwise.

Besides, as mentioned above, far better food.
Good to know! I’ve never eaten at CRT and in my mind it was a more formal experience than BOG.

We ate lunch at BOG under the old menu and were totally unimpressed. Never saw the movie it relates to so don't think that would have changed our impression. Inside is very loud and chaotic, reminds me of some dingy/old castle dining hall that needs a refresh. With those new pricey fixed menus would never recommend it to anyone. It is also a long way toward the back of the park and there is really only one popular ride in that area as I recall. So you walk a long way to a restaurant and then have to walk a long back to other areas in the park.

One reason I think it used to be popular when it served breakfast was that people figured out it was a way to 'game' the park opening time and be among the first in line for that popular ride nearby. They no longer serve breakfast so that scheme no longer works.

We dined at BOG this past April and it felt like a completely different restaurant. The ambience was nice and food was good. I never thought I would say this about BOG but I actually had a calming experience. Gone were the chaos, screaming children, and semi-frozen baked goods.

Thanks for all the input. I had thought about CRT but don’t think my son would do well with the somewhat more formal setting as he has trouble sitting still.

CRT is no more formal than Chef Mickey's or Jungle Skipper Canteen. People go in wearing short and tanks and casual theme park clothes. We've been going since my kids were 2 & 4 and there's enough to look at and wonder at while in there that they've always done okay.

Skipper Canteen is wonderful. Just sayin'.

Meanwhile, you're taking adults who've never been to WDW and you're going to spend most of your time at MK? Even kids like the other 3 parks, Maybe spread out the visit among the 4 parks? The crowds, noise, and chaos at MK can be extremely wearing.

Unless by "most of your time" you mean that you've got a weekend trip planned and you're going to spend it at MK. In that case, I get it. But if you're talking about a week-long trip, you might want to reconsider spending too much of it at MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter