Boma…not sure what to think now after latest vid

We really enjoyed Boma in the past. Dinner was good, but liked breakfast better. Agree, very concerned with what happened to the restaurant. Boma, as they described it was not the pre-Covid Boma. Hoping it gets better.

Ate at Boma in November for dinner. Good as ever. Soups were great. No one complained. The only thing I didn’t care for was my cocktail, but my son thought it was fine, so it didn’t go to waste.

That video was a very odd "review". It basically started with Pete ranting about it being a self serve buffet. Well it's been that way since it reopened, so if he wasn't comfortable with that he should have just gone somewhere else. Then he mentioned he was back on Keto so he pretty much only ate the meat which he thought was under seasoned. However, it seemed he didn't use the accompanying sauces, which probably had a lot to do with that. He doesn't eat fish, so he couldn't speak to any seafood dishes. I don't think you can call it a review when you only try a tiny portion of the food. And let's face it. The rest of the team rarely contradicts Pete, with the exception of Sean, who seemed pleased with most of his meal. It was just a strange video.

We've eaten at Boma twice for breakfast since it reopened and thought it was wonderful - both food and service were top notch. We plan on eating there for dinner on our next trip. This video won't change that.

That video was a very odd "review". It basically started with Pete ranting about it being a self serve buffet. Well it's been that way since it reopened, so if he wasn't comfortable with that he should have just gone somewhere else. Then he mentioned he was back on Keto so he pretty much only ate the meat which he thought was under seasoned. However, it seemed he didn't use the accompanying sauces, which probably had a lot to do with that. He doesn't eat fish, so he couldn't speak to any seafood dishes. I don't think you can call it a review when you only try a tiny portion of the food. And let's face it. The rest of the team rarely contradicts Pete, with the exception of Sean, who seemed pleased with most of his meal. It was just a strange video.

We've eaten at Boma twice for breakfast since it reopened and thought it was wonderful - both food and service were top notch. We plan on eating there for dinner on our next trip. This video won't change that.

That's interesting. I posted earlier in the thread that I was there 3 weeks ago for dinner and fully enjoyed it. What I did not add is that I am also on Keto and had a grand time there, with multiple trips to the buffet. As far as the meat - which I had several servings of - I found it tasty, properly cooked and a pleasure. I did try one of the sauces. I don't remember which one but I made an educated guess as to which one would be the least likely to have sugar used in its recipe and went with that.

I had the meat, fish, tried different salads and soups. I avoided carbs but still had a wonderful meal. I did "go off the wagon" a little bit and have a couple of Zebra domes for dessert ( Oh, the joy ! ). I was in ketosis the whole trip and this included dining at Steakhouse 71, California Grill, Boathouse, Blaze Pizza, Space 220, Teppan Edo, enjoying desert, chocolate and ice cream. You can do Disney and be/eat healthy. It just simply takes a little thought and effort.

There are several sauces that go with the meat. We went twice during our Nov 2021 trip (and we had to pay for an uber back to AOA). They accommodated allergies really well. In addition to the carved meat/fish they had multiple soup offerings-Oxtail soup, butternut squash soup; variety of salads-Avacado salad, cottage cheese with grilled pineapple; desserts-bread pudding, zebra domes, a spice cake with grilled pineapple and condensed milk topping, pita bread with 4 dips…

We did have purell wipes and a hand spray on our table (that we brought with us) and there were 3 purell sanitizing stations at the buffet (beginning, end and middle of the buffet).

Jiko is opening up next door if you want the servers to serve you.

Last edited:

Had dinner here 3 weeks ago and it was great. Pretty much exactly how I remember it being.

I'm honestly sort of laughing at the dining channel at this point. Snack reviews are well made but totally useless considering the turnover on quick service items is so high. And the restaurant reviews just aren't the detailed thoughtful style anymore.

And I'm all for negative reviews. But as this thread illustrates, clearly they had a minority experience outside of the general reaction in recent months. Doesn't make their experience invalid, but the dismissive nature of the video and its tone were not the "fun" negative review we all like. It was just depressing.

Its so clear that they all prefer food off property. Which is totally fine. But they literally can't make a viable channel w/out doing disney/universal when it comes to dining. Nobody cares(at best its Niche AF) otherwise.

Last edited:
That's interesting. I posted earlier in the thread that I was there 3 weeks ago for dinner and fully enjoyed it. What I did not add is that I am also on Keto and had a grand time there, with multiple trips to the buffet. As far as the meat - which I had several servings of - I found it tasty, properly cooked and a pleasure. I did try one of the sauces. I don't remember which one but I made an educated guess as to which one would be the least likely to have sugar used in its recipe and went with that.

I had the meat, fish, tried different salads and soups. I avoided carbs but still had a wonderful meal. I did "go off the wagon" a little bit and have a couple of Zebra domes for dessert ( Oh, the joy ! ). I was in ketosis the whole trip and this included dining at Steakhouse 71, California Grill, Boathouse, Blaze Pizza, Space 220, Teppan Edo, enjoying desert, chocolate and ice cream. You can do Disney and be/eat healthy. It just simply takes a little thought and effort.
I'm on keto too, reopened Boma was the best buffet for me in terms of options that I have had yet.

I was fully satisfied. Granted, I'm not a picky eater and I actually lost 210lbs and have kept it off for 4 years so far. So maybe you and I actually know how to eat/navigate keto in a way that doesn't diminish our experience.
The review just felt off in the edit and honestly, as other have pointed out. A lot of the criticisms feel self inflicted and some come off as willful ignorance: buffet setting in covid crock pot Florida is uncomfortable? I'm shocked given how strict Disney world has been on covid compared to cruise ships(except world and universal has been extremely lax by comparison and they know this. Doesn't excuse it, but the sheer shock in the video was so weird)

Last edited:
I'm on keto too, reopened Boma was the best buffet for me in terms of options that I have had yet.

I was fully satisfied. Granted, I'm not a picky eater and I actually lost 210lbs and have kept it off for 4 years so far. So maybe you and I actually know how to eat/navigate keto in a way that doesn't diminish our experience.

The most unexpected aspect of Keto in my case was that it has actually enhanced my dining experiences. I find that I eat less often so I have gravitated towards foods with more taste and quality and I am more willing to try new things. This is a change coming from an old meat-n-taters guy. ;). Since I had to change my eating habits it wasn't much of a step to continue to work outside my comfort zone.

To bring this back on topic I had several buffets booked for my last trip - Crystal Palace and Boma. I ended up cancelling Crystal Palace due to our desires and the fact that what it offered wasn't interesting enough to justify the cost of time and money. Boma I kept and thoroughly enjoyed. My personal view was that in both the taste and visceral experience aspects it was as good as I remembered it to be.

I also have mixed feelings on the review as I had heard good reviews everwhere else before this.

Since it was such a different opinion then rest I have been wondering whether there have been any recent changes. One thing that stood out was in the recent food price increases I didn’t see prices go up on buffets. Given they can’t really cut portion sizes (to help our waistline) is it possible boma cut quality of ingredients instead?

I also was wondering whether reopening of Jiko would impact boma; is the staffing of Jiko new or is it pulling from boma kitchen? If the latter is it possible that process already started and quality of kitchen staff diluted over two kitchens now?

I don’t have to decide until May but was heavily leaning towards doing Boma for dinner but unless new reviews support this was one off feel it’s too much to pay to risk bad experience (would do boma breakfast, Jiko, or Tusker house instead).

Went to Boma for dinner in Oct 2021 and late Nov 2021. It was excellent both times.

I will say that while the ribs were still good... they did not use the same unusual spices as pre-COVID, so a little more mainstream on that one item.

Nothing to compare it to since it was our first time, but we went to Boma for both dinner and breakfast in October and thought both were great. We have reservations for March (and Jiko!).

We have always loved Boma in the past, and I made a reservation for it for our trip in March. I caught the review last night and Pete’s disappointment in it. Wow. Not sure what to think now. Has it really gotten that bad? Anyone on here been recently and can vouch for their assessment, or are they being unnecessarily critical?

Sometimes, Pete doesn't know what he is talking about....just sayin...... He is a very picky eater. I know 5 year olds with a more varied pallet then his.

Pete goes on his "high protein" diets on the regular... LOL
Honestly, Boma's strengths are not their meat dishes and that's all he was eating. I wouldn't read too much into that review from him. Craig enjoyed his meal. I mean, how do you review a buffet like Boma and only eat meat? And he doesn't eat seafood. Haha

Last edited:
Do they do anything to help with sanitizing since it is self serve? I have a breakfast booked there and wondering if I should bring hand sanitizer or something

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter