• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Boma or Sanaa for dinner

10CJ

DIS Veteran
I am undecided on which to choose.

Three adults, one who does not like spicy food.
One almost five year old who is a pretty good eater, eats a variety of foods, but not the most adventurous eater ever.

How long does the ave meal take? Do they both typically run on time? or if my ADR is at 6:30 should I expect to sit down at 7?

Thanks for any insights.

Not sure about the timing but my family ate at Sanaa for dinner a little bit ago and we loved it! My family doesn't like spicy foods either, but they have a very good chicken entree. It is called Tandoori Chicken. It was great!

1) We prefer Sanaa over Boma for dinner.
2) In our opinion, Boma has EXCELLENT soups, but the others on the buffet are mediocre.
. . . if you like mainly soup, you could make a meal of the five nightly soups (they have 25 soups, and rotate 5 each night)
. . . for solid food, I would go elsewhere

BOMA Rotation, as of 7/1/2015 - Sundays are "pot luck" and not posted in advance: (Subject to change)
Menu ONE: Tuesday, Friday
. . . Cold Station Pod Four:
. . . Pasta Salad
. . . Watermelon Rind Salad
. . . Kool Slaai
. . . Noodle Salad
. . . Moroccan Seafood Salad
. . . Cold Station Pod Five:
. . . Avacado, Papaya & Grapefruit
. . . Peach and Jicama Salad
. . . Spinach and Quinoa Salad
. . . Fried Plantain Corn Salad
. . . Hot Station Pod Six (SOUPS)
. . . . . . Chicken Pepper Pot
. . . . . . Curried Coconut Seafood Stew
. . . . . . Chicken Corn Porridge
. . . . . . Butternut Squash Soup
. . . . . . Blackeye Pea with Ginger Juice
. . . Hot Station Pod Seven
. . . Coconut Curry Cauliflower
. . . Vegetable Lentil Kofta
. . . Fufu
. . . Potatoes with Afritude
. . . Cous Cous Marakesh
. . . Jollof Rice
. . . Rotisserie
. . . Pap and Sheeba
. . . Whole Spiced Chicken
. . . Roasted Vegetables
. . . Bobotie
. . . Crusted Prime Rib
. . . Seafood Special
. . . African Flank Steak
. . . Choice of Salmon
. . . BBQ Tamarind Salmon
. . . Coconut Curry Salmon
. . . Banana Wrap Salmon
. . . Nut Crusted Salmon
. . . Moroccan Almond Salmon
. . . Banana Curried Salmon

Menu TWO: Monday, Thursday
. . . Cold Station Pod Four
. . . Pasta Salad
. . . Kool Slaai
. . . Asparagus and Bean Salad
. . . Melon Salad with Port Wine
. . . Cold Station Pod Five
. . . Cous Cous Salad
. . . Avocado, Papaya & Grapefruit
. . . Carrot, Coconut, Pineapple Salad
. . . Watercress Salad
. . . . . . Potato Bacon
. . . . . . Lamb & Rice Stew
. . . . . . Mulligatawny
. . . . . . Seafood Gumbo
. . . . . . Plantain Corn Chowder
. . . Peanut Rice
. . . Bok Choy
. . . FuFu
. . . Cous Cous Marakesh
. . . Rotisserie
. . . Pap and Sheeba
. . . Seafood Special
. . . Corn on the Cobb with Honey Butter
. . . Bobotie
. . . Crusted Prime Rib
. . . Lamb Potjie
. . . Choice of Pork Loin
. . . Pepper Pot Pork Loin
. . . Coconut Curry Pork Loin
. . . Coca Cola Pork Loin
. . . Pork with apple and pear chutney

Menu THREE: Wednesday, Saturday
. . . Cold Station Pod Four
. . . Pasta Salad
. . . Kool Slaai
. . . Fennel Smoked Fish Salad
. . . Chicken with Chili Cilantro
. . . Cold Station Pod Five
. . . Avocado, Grapefruit, Paw Paw
. . . Roasted Eggplant and Bean Salad
. . . Tunisian Cous Cous Salad
. . . Ethiopian Bread Salad
. . . . . . Carrot & Ginger
. . . . . . Oxtail Barley Soup
. . . . . . Three Bean Gumbo with Sausage
. . . . . . Coconut Curry Chicken Stew
. . . . . . Moroccan Seafood Stew
. . . Peanut Rice
. . . Tofu & Green Bean Curry
. . . Fufu
. . . Cous Cous Marakesh
. . . Rotisserie
. . . Pap and Sheeba
. . . Seafood Special
. . . Roasted Vegetables
. . . Bobotie
. . . Crusted Prime Rib
. . . Slow Roasted Ribs

Potatoes with Afritude

This was the favorite dish for my family (I never understood the attraction.) My group was so disappointed when the Pw/A were discontinued. Would you happen to know when they were returned to the menu? I think our last time at Boma was during 2014 and I believe they were still MIA. Thanks!

Sanaa. Boma is fine for a buffet, but as Rusty mentions, the food is a little more bland to appeal to a variety of tastes. Meanwhile, at Sanaa, there are several choices which aren't spicy, and the flavor profiles--while more adventurous than your typical Disney restaurant--aren't terribly exotic. . .but the food is still excellent overall. In particular, the bread service is a meal unto itself--a couple of the sauces with it are spicy but there are more which aren't. Wine list is solid (beer, too), service is excellent, and you can see animals on the savannah from many tables if you go before dark falls.

Thanks everyone, seems like Sanaa is the preferred option!

Last August I kept the kids with me while the est of the family went to Sanaa for dinner. They have been raving about it ever since. The food was delicious, the service excellent!

Sanaa was our "brave" meal of the most recent trip, but turned out to be one of the best! My five year old is not adventurous, got a burger, and was treated wonderfully. He had a blast. I was nervous it would be too adult or too unique food for him. He did enjoy the Naan with us, and the animals especially. Everything we had was delicious, even if we don't usually enjoy Indian or African dishes.

Not been to Boma but we did visit Sanaa last year and loved one of our fav meals of the holiday

Interesting, I disagree with the other posters. I have found the food at Sanaa very bland both times I went there (the tandoori chicken was not recognizable as tandoori chicken to me, for instance), and the food at Boma to have a combination of "normal" and delicious exotic flavors. I would say go to Boma for the food and Sanaa for the atmosphere.

We ate at Boma a few years back. We quite enjoyed it. Party of 3 was my mom (non-adventurous eater), my 8 year old daughter (nugget and burger kinda girl) and me (up for anything). Selection was vast, restaurant was a little loud/busy - but expected that at a buffet. This December we are trying Sanaa and can not wait.

Sanaa is flavorful but much of it is not spicy at all. We loved it, including my bland eater, sensory kid.

Sanaa is good, but it was much better several years ago - back when AKV was a year or two old. The flavors have gotten much too toned down for us. However, it is still a good meal just not great. Sanaa is nice at the end of the day, quiet, pretty, good service. Boma is good for a quality buffet but it is very noisy and busy - depending on whether you are talking rested 5 year old or tired 5 year old, you may want to consider some additional factors.

I am a big fan of both these places. I think Boma is the best buffet on property. With the kids and not sure if they will like all the food I would go with a buffet since they always have the stand by chicken tenders and things like that. Everyone can try a little something different and see what they like best.

I really like both places. If you haven't done either I would suggest Boma because you can try a lot of different options and if you don't like something you can just grab something else. Neither is really all the spicy. Both have had their flavors toned down for the average American palate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter