boma vs jiko

mari1992

Earning My Ears
I have read lots about Boma, everyone seems to love it, but not as much about Jiko. Can anyone help me compare the two? DH is really wanting to try Jiko but I was planning on Boma. We are travelling in December with DS2. Thanks in advance.

Boma and Jiko are both wonderful..they are two different experiences.

Boma, a buffet...has many great offerings, wine/beer etc. Gives you a chance to try some African foods/sauces. We found them all to be wonderful. The chefs are there, behind the buffet to answer any questions you may have. You are not rushed...we usually spend a good hour trying everything. Our servers have always been great.

Jiko, think upscale sitdown..no rushing between courses..the meal will take about 2 hours from start to finish. It is kid friendly..if your child can sit/behave for that long. There have always been very well behaved children there when we go. The wine list is wonderful, service excellent, food excellent. Jiko is one of our favorite sitdown restaurants at disney.

Does Boma tables have views of the animals? If not, is there any public viewing of the animals?

the animals from Boma but there are a number of viewing stations around the AKL where you can see (and even sit!) the animals. Try some of the viewing areas (indoor and outdoor) away from the main lobby area. These are not as busy, can you closer to the animals and some have some African-related artwork nearby.

Boma is great! We eat there every visit to WDW.

Enjoy!

Kapp

Originally posted by Kapp
the animals from Boma but there are a number of viewing stations around the AKL where you can see (and even sit!) the animals.

I can make the animals sit! That sure will make picture taking easier. :D

Thanks for the info Kapp.

Webray has it right! Boma is a bit louder and a bit more rushed, but with a very wide variety of foods. If DD is a "wiggle worm" as many children tend to be at that age, you will probably want Boma. The food is excellent ad a very good value for money spent, but you can get in and out relatively quickly if you want to.

Jiko is quieter and more intimate, with a superb wine list and wonderful food, and is our favorite restaurant in WDW. Our DD (then almost 4) managed to sit mostly still thru the whole 1.5 hour meal, and preferred the warm octopus salad to all other foods (she is a "mermaid" after all - being a redhead like Daddy and big bro, she identifies with Ariel most of all). Tho it is a relatively expensive restaurant, we believe it is also a very good value for money spent.

Good luck deciding. These two are some of the many reasons why we love AKL.

my DH took me to a wonderful 2.5 hour birthday meal at Jiko. The staff was very friendly to the family sitting next to us, who were desparately trying to get their 2 yr old to "settle down" for fine dining, but in my honest opinion, they felt out of place, and were very worried that they were stressing the other diners around them.

They were quite worried about is (right next to them) and relaxed somewhat when our 16 yo DS brought the 5 yo DD in to say " a birthday hi to mommy"--IN HER SWIMSUIT--(they highttailed it back to Mara and the pool because they "didn't want a long, boring fancy dinner").

We went back later in the week, with the 16 yo, while the 5 yo went to the kids klub, which she absolutely loved (I don't think they take them as young as 2).

Once again, a few families with younger children were trying to keep them settled down, but the parents looked pretty pressured and one dad missed most of the meal out "walking and looking at the animals" with a toddler.

Boma is not nearly as "fine dining" but the food is delicious, the service attentive, and there's lots of kids. There's a kids' buffet. You're in and out in half the time. OUr big tip for Boma after spending a week at the AKL is to get a PS, and try to schedule it for when they are just opening. The experience is totally different before the room fills up. We requested a table by a window (you cannot see the animals, but we didn't want to be stuck in the middle of the room with a lot of people passing by our table.)

IMO, the desserts at BOMA are better than desserts at Jiko

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter