Bonine or Dramamine

The first night out, we had 18-20 ft seas. The green apples really do help!

Out of Florida on a normal weather cruise, the first night is the worst. The rest is nothing compared to crossing the straits. Very bouncy. It's possible you would be fine on the other nights.

We sent my then-MIL on an alaskan cruise, and the first night at dinner her server noticed she was turning green. Brought her a plate of sliced green apples and salt and made her eat it. She perked right back up, and he had that on the table for her each day the rest of the cruise. It was a like a miracle to her. Pretty cool!

I never have a big problem, but on our July 18 cruise I really felt the swells on the first night. So this last time I got some dramamine non drowsy naturals with ginger and I didn't feel anything. I also use it for rough roller coasters.

I get sea sick backing out of the driveway. I used the patch for years for cruises and long flights. The problem was that while I didn’t feel motion sickness, it messed with both my vision and equilibrium. Then when I took it off I got some strange rebound effects. I started trying the Bonine and it works well for me.

For some, maybe. I have never felt drowsy taking Bonine (meclizine). Everybody's response may be different. All I know is it works for me. OP, I would recommend trying it out before the cruise to see how it makes you feel.

My doctor prescribed meclizine a couple of times when I had mild vertigo. It not only makes me super tired, it gives me CRAZY dreams. To make my point, I once dreamed I was a musical note hanging out with other musical notes on a staff, and that was definitely NOT the only weird thing I ever dreamed or even the weirdest when I took this medicine. I will only take it now if absolutely necessary since I do not like the side effects I have.

So, if you have not taken any before, you might want to take a dose some evening before your trip to see if it does make you sleepy or have other side effects.

1st time cruiser. I’m a bit worried about seasickness, more for myself than DW or kids. Which is better for seasickness?
Depending on the age of your children, Bonine might not be within the age recommendation. They do have Dramamine for kids though.

Depending on the age of your children, Bonine might not be within the age recommendation. They do have Dramamine for kids though.

This pretty much sums it up:
If you think you might take it, you need to check out how it affects you first.

dramamine non-drowsy naturals: ginger
dramamine less-drowsy: meclizine HCI 25mg
dramamine for kids: dimenhydrinate 25mg
dramamine: dimenhydrinate 50mg
dramamine chewable: dimenhydrinate 50mg

bonine ginger softgels: ginger
bonine: meclizine HCL 23 mg

Or organized a different way:

dramamine non-drowsy naturals: ginger
bonine ginger softgels: ginger

dramamine less-drowsy: meclizine HCI 25mg
bonine: meclizine HCL 23 mg

dramamine for kids: dimenhydrinate 25mg

dramamine: dimenhydrinate 50mg
dramamine chewable: dimenhydrinate 50mg

(this is all directly from the dramamine and bonine websites)

I would recommend you don't use anything. See how it goes. If you can get by without medicating great. If you need something that is ok too.

Scopolamine patches for us. No drowsiness. No forgetting to take a dose.
Ditto for me and my wife. When I was younger, I never used to get motion sick, but now it seems I do, especially in heavier seas.

On our last two cruises, I've not been fast enough in replacing patches (after 3 days of use and/or when they fall off), and I've gotten seasick both times. (I actually started feeling seasick during a massage in Senses last week!) I will definitely be more diligent about keeping a patch on at all times for future cruises.

The only major side effect is a feeling of dry mouth, which tends to force me to drink more water.

Last edited:
I would recommend you don't use anything. See how it goes. If you can get by without medicating great. If you need something that is ok too.
However, the anti-nausea medicine is more effective when you take it before you need it rather than after.

My doctor prescribed meclizine a couple of times when I had mild vertigo. It not only makes me super tired, it gives me CRAZY dreams. To make my point, I once dreamed I was a musical note hanging out with other musical notes on a staff, and that was definitely NOT the only weird thing I ever dreamed or even the weirdest when I took this medicine. I will only take it now if absolutely necessary since I do not like the side effects I have.

So, if you have not taken any before, you might want to take a dose some evening before your trip to see if it does make you sleepy or have other side effects.

The dosage for most over the counter Bonine (meclizine) is 24-25 mg per tablet. Your doctor may have prescribed a much higher amount. But, yes try out any sea sickness medication for side effects before you leave for your cruise.

we used Transderm Scop patch for all our 9 cruises - my wife and I use it as well as our son from age 5 to 20 with no adverse affects - best think we ever did

Yes – we ask our family doctor to prescribe them for each of us before a cruise.
Thanks! I haven't taken a cruise yet but we're going on our first in January and I'm nervous that I will get seasick (I get mild motion sickness now - things like I can't read while I'm in the car, etc). I'm nervous about trying different medications because I've found that since I had kids, most medications give me "medicine head" feeling so I don't even take cold medicine anymore and instead just stick to ibuprofen. I'll see if my doctor will prescribe a patch!

I bought some dramamine for kids (DD was 6) but didn't need it. It works great for my nephew that gets car sick and our pediatrician says it's great for her girls too.

Thanks! I haven't taken a cruise yet but we're going on our first in January and I'm nervous that I will get seasick (I get mild motion sickness now - things like I can't read while I'm in the car, etc). I'm nervous about trying different medications because I've found that since I had kids, most medications give me "medicine head" feeling so I don't even take cold medicine anymore and instead just stick to ibuprofen. I'll see if my doctor will prescribe a patch!
I would try to get that prescription filled sooner rather than later, as there have reportedly been shortages of the Scopolamine transdermal patches lately. My Mom was unable to get her prescription filled before our May cruise.

However, the anti-nausea medicine is more effective when you take it before you need it rather than after.

The dosage for most over the counter Bonine (meclizine) is 24-25 mg per tablet. Your doctor may have prescribed a much higher amount. But, yes try out any sea sickness medication for side effects before you leave for your cruise.

It was over the counter. I said prescribed, but she did not write a prescription—just told me to use the over the counter version.

Bonine and Dramamine II have the same active ingredient but many people report different side effects on them. My family all prefer Bonine by leaps and bounds. I take it 1-2 times per day and notice that I tend to sleep better, but no drowsiness otherwise.

We used the ear patches for years but some people have severe reactions to them, and our doctor recommended against them for frequent or long extended use.

I bought some dramamine for kids (DD was 6) but didn't need it. It works great for my nephew that gets car sick and our pediatrician says it's great for her girls too.

Our kids did well with sea bands, then supplimented with half a pill on rough seas.

I would try to get that prescription filled sooner rather than later, as there have reportedly been shortages of the Scopolamine transdermal patches lately. My Mom was unable to get her prescription filled before our May cruise.
Good to know! I’m in Canada so I’m not sure if that makes a difference or if they even have the same thing available!

sea bands.....they work for about 60% of the people who try them..
for my daughter and me, who both have severe motion sickness issues on land as well as sea, sea bands have been a god send.
I had to use motion sickness medicine on a regular basis for years before i started using sea bands for attacks..

in addition to me, they work for my mom, sister, daughter, husband.
They don't work for my daughter in law...

i suggest trying them as using a non-drug approach if you can is always preferable..

i should add that we sailed during hurricane sandy when the ship really rocked and rolled and while i could feel the ship moving, i didn't get sick at all!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter