Bonnet Creek work well?

framey

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are thinking of doing a last-minute Disney vacation in 2 - 4 weeks (mid-Feb/early-Mar) with our two kids (3 & 5) and my parents. Shooting for 5 nights (Mon-Sat). Wife thinks we HAVE to stay on property, but I don't we'll be able to find availability in what we need (wanting 2 - 3 bedroom). Found a 3br/2ba VRBO condo in Bonnet Creek (Wyndham timeshare) that lines up well.

This seems like a good enough area to access the parks (we'll have our own car). Is Bonnet Creek actually a decent area that will work well for a Disney vacation?

My general research seems to say "yeah, pretty good," but is there something I'm not thinking about with it? (I know we'll have to drive/shuttle in every day, but would probably drive anyways unless on Monorail.)

We're planning to come back in late September for Halloween, so not too stressed about hitting everything perfectly this go-round, FWIW.

Or should we try to work the DVC-rental circuit to see if we can find something that will work so we the kids can get the "full Disney experience" for their first trip? (I did find a dedicated OKW reservation for rent in the forum that hits our 5-night goal, but it's just a 2br).

My wife and I are thinking of doing a last-minute Disney vacation in 2 - 4 weeks (mid-Feb/early-Mar) with our two kids (3 & 5) and my parents. Shooting for 5 nights (Mon-Sat). Wife thinks we HAVE to stay on property, but I don't we'll be able to find availability in what we need (wanting 2 - 3 bedroom). Found a 3br/2ba VRBO condo in Bonnet Creek (Wyndham timeshare) that lines up well.

This seems like a good enough area to access the parks (we'll have our own car). Is Bonnet Creek actually a decent area that will work well for a Disney vacation?

My general research seems to say "yeah, pretty good," but is there something I'm not thinking about with it? (I know we'll have to drive/shuttle in every day, but would probably drive anyways unless on Monorail.)

We're planning to come back in late September for Halloween, so not too stressed about hitting everything perfectly this go-round, FWIW.

Or should we try to work the DVC-rental circuit to see if we can find something that will work so we the kids can get the "full Disney experience" for their first trip? (I did find a dedicated OKW reservation for rent in the forum that hits our 5-night goal, but it's just a 2br).

If I could stay at Bonnet Creek every trip I would. The units are well appointed, spacious, huge balconies, washer/dryer (reduces what we pack) and full kitchens. We even grilled steaks one night out on a grill. The pools are plentiful and nice, hot tubs, pirate ship with slide and small lazy rivers. If you will have resort time, they offer activities, my son was pumped to hold an alligator from Gatorland presentation.

Parking is free which offsets the cost of parking at the parks. While not ON Disney property you have to go on property to access it so it feels like it's on. Minutes to Disney Springs, just a few more to DHS and Epcot, easy shot to AK and MK. You will spend much less time in your car then you would on a Disney bus.

It's a very nice resort and the age your kids are they are going to have so much fun in the parks, I don't know what they would really miss at WBC. They have plenty of pool fun, slides, splash area ... and if you want to explore the Disney resorts for you fall trip you can book dining reservations at the hotels you want to explore - give the kids some Disney dining and the reservation will allow you to park and check out the hotel.

If I could stay at Bonnet Creek every trip I would. The units are well appointed, spacious, huge balconies, washer/dryer (reduces what we pack) and full kitchens. We even grilled steaks one night out on a grill. The pools are plentiful and nice, hot tubs, pirate ship with slide and small lazy rivers. If you will have resort time, they offer activities, my son was pumped to hold an alligator from Gatorland presentation.

Parking is free which offsets the cost of parking at the parks. While not ON Disney property you have to go on property to access it so it feels like it's on. Minutes to Disney Springs, just a few more to DHS and Epcot, easy shot to AK and MK. You will spend much less time in your car then you would on a Disney bus.

It's a very nice resort and the age your kids are they are going to have so much fun in the parks, I don't know what they would really miss at WBC. They have plenty of pool fun, slides, splash area ... and if you want to explore the Disney resorts for you fall trip you can book dining reservations at the hotels you want to explore - give the kids some Disney dining and the reservation will allow you to park and check out the hotel.
Awesome, thanks @HopperFan! Do you have much experience with the shuttles for WBC? If so, do they seem to work pretty well (punctual, frequent enough (i.e. hourly), predictable, etc)?

The wife made the point that it might be a little trickier if we opted to split the day and head back to the condo after lunch (relax and maybe play in the pools) and then go back to the park later that day. She thinks the WDW bus system would make that easier to do than WBC's shuttle.

My gut is that if we opted to pay to use the WBC shuttle, it would be good enough but realistically we'd either all head back with the car anyways or if some part of the group stayed back, then they could just pay for the shuttle ride back (or an Uber).

Great point about booking dining at hotels we want to check out for the next trip.

Pretty sure your comment has helped me make up my mind to do WBC, FYI. Thank you again!

Awesome, thanks @HopperFan! Do you have much experience with the shuttles for WBC? If so, do they seem to work pretty well (punctual, frequent enough (i.e. hourly), predictable, etc)?

The wife made the point that it might be a little trickier if we opted to split the day and head back to the condo after lunch (relax and maybe play in the pools) and then go back to the park later that day. She thinks the WDW bus system would make that easier to do than WBC's shuttle.

My gut is that if we opted to pay to use the WBC shuttle, it would be good enough but realistically we'd either all head back with the car anyways or if some part of the group stayed back, then they could just pay for the shuttle ride back (or an Uber).

Great point about booking dining at hotels we want to check out for the next trip.

Pretty sure your comment has helped me make up my mind to do WBC, FYI. Thank you again!

I never used their shuttle. We drive, I like not being limited to a schedule. Actually last few times I stayed on Disney property I even drove, it's just so much faster, and we don't have to be compacted in with other people, especially now. While we don't often take mid day breaks for the hotel, we do hop to other parks. And sometimes we leave and go to Disney Springs to eat, so that saves a transfer (I don't think the evening bus park to DS is back).

Now check the shuttle system, since you mentioned maybe some would decide to ride back. Last time I checked you had to make reservations or prepurchase your tickets to ride it so you might be tied to specific times and not able to ride last minute.

Honestly by time you paid per head, you could pay for parking. And get a receipt because if you hop you don't have to pay for parking again that day. And given how close WBC is to the parks, uber wouldn't be much.

I give the example of I was at MK, my one son and I stayed offsite 10 miles, and my other son was staying at POP Century with a friend. We left at same time. I took ferry to TTC, walked to my car, drove to hotel and was in bed when I texted my son we were good. He was still at MK waiting for his bus.

Although we are DVC members, Wyndham Bonnet Creek is our go-to when we are not staying onsite.

Our primary reasons are:
  1. We often can find it cheep on eBay. We usually can find a spacious two bedroom for less than a small single room at Disney’s Value Resorts.
  2. Its location means WBC is closer to some theme parks than Disney’s own hotels. Because of the location, we almost feel as if we are staying onsite when we are there.
  3. The one and two bedroom condos are more spacious than DVC’s one and two bedroom villas. The difference in room size is very noticeable.
  4. There are several themed pools that are within easy walking distance.
What we don’t like:
  1. Parking is terrible. It’s difficult to find a nearby parking spot. More often than not, we end up parking in the garbage, which is far from some towers.
  2. Some furniture (sofa in particular) is well-worn. However, our last couple of stays have been better. I think they replaced the less durable pieces.
  3. Cleanliness at pools. WBC has several pools. Our last stays were post COVID reopening. WBC did not have enough staff to keep the pools clean and, frankly, all it takes is one or two groups of selfish vacationers to mess up unattended areas. Hopefully, they have done something to address this.
  4. The lounge chairs at the pools are not as nice as Disney’s.
We have never used their theme park shuttle.

WBC parking is free. Now that Disney charges onsite Guests for hotel park, paying for theme park parking when you stay at WBC is now nearly a wash compared to Disney onsite hotel parking.

Last edited:
Oh wow, I had no idea you could book/rent hotels/rooms on eBay, how funny!

That's very good to know since the Airbnb listings all turned out to be busts. :(

There were 3 of them and they all said that they couldn't make the requested bookings due to WBC actually availability.

Booked Magic Village Views (4br w/ hot tub) for now (they have an easy cancelation policy of up to 72 hours before check-in to get a full refund).

Going to check out eBay for WBC though, since I like that "fun resort" style for the kids more.

Magic Village has a pool (plus the private hot tub) but it does look to be more of an adults/teenagers sort of place.

Got what looks like a great rate, though (~$350/night after all taxes & fees).

We just booked a last minute trip ourselves for March. We normally stay on site but there are 8 of us going this trip. We ended up booking what I think is a good deal. Ours is in Kissimmee. Says 10 minutes or so to disney but of course we all know trip times are not usually all that accurate but for the price ($ roughly 1800.00 for the week) I can deal with a commute

We try to stay here every chance we can, my daughter even took her first steps at the pirate ship pool :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter