Book flights without passport info?

petunia

DIS Veteran
CAn you book flights say with Southwest/Allegiant/Jetblue without passport info? We have someone travelling in summer with us that dont have passports yet, can they book flights just with name as it will appear on passport, or do you need passport #?

From experience booking in September 2019 flights on Lufthansa from USA to Europe. My husband and I did NOT have valid US passport. We booked flights no problem. Sent off for passport end of November. They arrived end of December 4 weeks process time. I entered information on reservation the day passport arrived.

We also applied for global entry with TSA precheck. Filled out that form less than 7 days later got conditional approval. Set up interview for end of February in Dayton.

Short answer NO you don’t need at booking from our experience. Just made sure name exactly how it would be on passport.

You can book without filling in the passport information. When you get the passport, log in and add that information to your ticket.

Would be a Canadian buying from a US line flying from Buffalo if that makes a difference, but it sounds like its not needed until check in. Thanks all!

On a US domestic flight I didn’t realize the airline asked for passports to be entered at all. At that point you are using it as id and most US folks are using their drivers license. As a US citizen we are not prompted for our id when booking domestic flights.

I'm Canadian and have booked flights out of Buffalo on Southwest & JetBlue. I wasn't required to enter passport info to book on any flights, only at check-in.

On a US domestic flight I didn’t realize the airline asked for passports to be entered at all. At that point you are using it as id and most US folks are using their drivers license. As a US citizen we are not prompted for our id when booking domestic flights.

I think this might be becoming more prominent because of the final deadline for REALID licenses. Not all states have complied, and not everyone in the states that have have gone and renewed to get a compliant license to use when flying. If your license isn't REALID compliant, you won't be allowed to fly, even domestically within the US as of October 1st, 2020 without a passport.

I think this might be becoming more prominent because of the final deadline for REALID licenses. Not all states have complied, and not everyone in the states that have have gone and renewed to get a compliant license to use when flying. If your license isn't REALID compliant, you won't be allowed to fly, even domestically within the US as of October 1st, 2020 without a passport.

Good point. As of Sept 2019 all US states and territories offer Driver’s licenses that are REAL ID compliant. If you haven’t renewed your license since then, and wonder if yours is indeed a REAL ID license that is legal ID for air travel, check the top right corner. It should have a black or gold star, or a black or gold circle with a white star inside, or a golden bear with a star on it’s butt. I’m guessing that last one is California....

If we have the US drivers licence with the USA flag on it - the REALID drivers license - is it easier to get the TSA pre- check ?
Can we get the TSA pre-chceck application don in May 2020 and have it done before we fly in November 2020 ?

Would be a Canadian buying from a US line flying from Buffalo if that makes a difference, but it sounds like its not needed until check in. Thanks all!

Are they flying inside of the US or outside of it?

Either way they don't need a passport to book, and depending on when the flight is, might not need it at all for the flight if it’s within the US.

This might be for a fight leaving the US.

Good point. As of Sept 2019 all US states and territories offer Driver’s licenses that are REAL ID compliant. If you haven’t renewed your license since then, and wonder if yours is indeed a REAL ID license that is legal ID for air travel, check the top right corner. It should have a black or gold star, or a black or gold circle with a white star inside, or a golden bear with a star on it’s butt. I’m guessing that last one is California....

Actually, Kentucky is dragging their feet big time. They were supposed to offer the REAL ID last year. But due to problems, not everyone can get one yet. As of now, only residents of Franklin County (includes Frankfort, the capital), Woodford County, and counties neighboring Franklin County, can obtain one. Nine months until the deadline, and residents of Louisville, Bowling Green, Owensboro and the Northern Kentucky cities, just south of Cincinnati, still cannot obtain a Real ID. (Lexington residents can.) They promise they'll open regional offices by spring. But I have my doubts.

Doesn't phase me. I'll just travel with my passport anyway. But I'd be worried if I didn't have a passport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter