Book recommendations for 10yo boy

RangerPooh

DIS Veteran
I'm looking for book recommendations for my 10yo son. He is fascinated by history- specifically war (WW1, WW2, Civil War, etc) and has a reading level at 8th -10th grades.

Harry Potter- loved it, Wings of Fire series- enjoyed it, Star Wars books (youth level)- breezed through them/enjoys it, but needs to be challenged a little while still enjoying the content.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

I'm looking for book recommendations for my 10yo son. He is fascinated by history- specifically war (WW1, WW2, Civil War, etc) and has a reading level at 8th -10th grades.

Harry Potter- loved it, Wings of Fire series- enjoyed it, Star Wars books (youth level)- breezed through them/enjoys it, but needs to be challenged a little while still enjoying the content.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Has he tried the Alex Ryder series by Anthony Horowitz? It's about a 14 yo boy who becomes a spy for MI-6. Very exciting and fast-paced. My son loved this series and read it twice!

Thank you for the suggestions. He's dipped his toes into Percy Jackson and I think that was one he was interested in, Hunger Games not too much. I'll definitely be hitting up Barnes and Noble later.

Well, if he likes war, and likes Star Wars, and reads at an adult level (basically), he should try the two Star Wars Battlefront (Battlefront: Twilight Company, or Battlefront II: Inferno Squadron) or Alphabet Squadron. They are all war-centric Star Wars novels. Or Lost Stars or Ahsoka, they are both YA Star Wars books

Nathan Hale's Hazardous tales, they are written like a comic book, but very well written and factually accurate. They portray American History in such an amazing way. Every single one of my children LOVES these books and they range in age from 9-13! Really awesome books!

At 10, my son loved the Brian's saga books by Gary Paulsen. They are pretty quick reads and the earlier books are better than the later books, imo. He also enjoyed Ender's Game and The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate. None of those follow the interests you mentioned, but if he wants to branch out a bit. To books that DS read in 5th grade during their Civil War studies, that he really enjoyed were Shades of Gray by Carolyn Reeder (be careful ordering this one and don't get 50 shades of gray, completely different book!) and Turn Homeward, Hannalee by Patricia Beatty (he really, really liked this one, we live very close to the mill where the story starts).

Our almost-11-year-old son read the entire Lord Of The Rings trilogy last summer. He too has a high reading level (similar to your son), and while I dont think he got as much out of say, a college age person reading LOTR, he absolutely loved the books, and it was definitely a challenge for him.

He has also recently started reading The Chronicles of Narnia books, which are a bit easier reading, but just as loaded with symbolism. He is enjoying them, but not as much as LOTR. (Granted he LOVES Fantasy/Sci Fi)

These are books I read around that age that deal with war:

"The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" by William Shirer
"Diary of Ann Frank"
"1914"; can't recall the author but it's mostly about the fall of Czarist Russia.
"Red Badge of Courage" by S. Crane. Civil War novel.
"War and Peace" by Tolstoy. First read in 4th grade, then the summer of 7th grade and then in my late teens. Greater insight w/ each reading. Napoleonic Wars.
"Stalingrad" by Bevor(?sp). Details the siege of the city and battle in a narrative form.

My son enjoyed the Michael Vey series by Richard Paul Evans, the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini, The Secrets of Nicolas Flamel series by Michael Scott, the Miss Perrigrine's Home for Peculiar Children series by Ranson Riggs (once I could convince him to give it a try - he didn't like some of the pictures and he was older than 10. You would want to check them out first), anything by Rick Riordan (the Percy Jackson series is what got him reading in 2nd or 3rd grade). I know he started both the Belgriad series by David Eddings and the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, but I do not know if he finished both. He loved the Harry Potter series (but to be fair he already loved the movies) and Wings of Fire.

I've recommended them here before: I really like Naomi Novik's Temeraire series for boys that age who are fluent readers. It is fiction, the genre of it is "fantastic" alternative history: the premise is that there was an air force during the Napoleonic Wars, and that it consisted of trained dragons and their riders. What I find fun about this series is that she has taken real events and overlaid this layer of magic over them.

As for military history, I majored in it, and so I'd have a question for you: how does he feel about politics (not about taking a side, just the influence of politics on the things that nations do.) If he has an appreciation for that, then wading right into major military histories such as those by John Toland should be fine, but if what he really wants is battlefield narrative, then a good place to start might be the books of Peter Fitzsimons. Fitzsimons is probably Australia's best-selling non-fiction author, and his specialty is battle narrative and military biography. He writes in a very populist style, though he has been accused of embellishing a bit at times in order to improve the narrative flow. (Things like describing the look on a General's face when he said something that he is really known to have said -- even though no one present at the time commented on that aspect.) He is Australian, of course, so a lot of his books focus on Australian history, but it's an interesting country, and as part of the British Commonwealth, sent soldiers to fight in all of the major wars of the modern era. Fitzsimons is a bit of a character; he's a former professional rugby player and is a well-known sportswriter, too.

As for American or British popular military history, there is no one quite as accessible as Fitzsimons, but I'd recommend the works of John Keegan, Stephen Ambrose and perhaps Cornelius Ryan. Bernard Cornwell's histories are also good if he wants to go back to the pre-mechanized era. (Stick to the histories, though, there are some rather adult themes in the novels, which much as I love them (especially the Sharpe series) are probably not appropriate for a 10yo boy.))

Last edited:
I'll second the Nathan Hale "Hazardous Tales" series. One of my daughter's loves them. Some other fun history books are:

The "Guts and Glory" series by Ben Thompson.
http://www.gutsandgloryhistory.com/
The "Horrible History" books (maybe on the young side, but you can pair it with the t.v. show and it's wildly catchy songs)
https://www.amazon.com/Horrible-Histories-Collection-Books-Pack/dp/B0043MCH5M
Some other books my kids have enjoyed:
"Fablehaven" and it's sequel series "Dragonwatch"
http://brandonmull.com/category/fablehaven/
"The Ranger's Apprentice" series
http://www.worldofjohnflanagan.com/rangers-apprentice/

The boys in my library really liked Walter Dean Myers series about the war-Invasion is one of the titles. He is an award winning author. So many good books out there-ask your son’s school librarian for ideas. We love to talk books!

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I have ordered a few from the list and want to check out some of the others :) It's good to see recommendations for books that I had looked at but wasn't sure about.

It is not overly late for another book to be added to the list. Since your son is interested in World War II and he is eleven years old, this true story is perfect.

“Left for Dead: A Young Man’s Search for Justice for the USS Indianapolis” by Peter Nelson.

While watching the movie “Jaws” eleven year old Hunter Scott was fascinated by the scene in which the story of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis was retold. Wanting to learn more, Hunter began his journey researching the sinking which culminated with him lobbying the Congress and the President of the United States which led to the exoneration of Captain McVay’s court martial.

Hunter Scott went on to serve in the Navy

Being a fan of war-based historical fiction...

Whatever you do, don't recommend "Johnny Got His Gun" for him. I think I was about 14 when I read it, and man, that book messed with me for a long time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter