Book suggestions for teen girls

:thumbsup2 Looking for Alibrandi is one of her books and is/was VERY popular in Australia. Not so sure if they're popular overseas.

I'll also add anything by Jaclyn Moriarty. Feeling Sorry For Celia is a good one to start with as there are then 3 other books that aren't exactly sequels, but are connected.

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin was another book that I quite enjoyed and that mightn't be as well known. My sister also loved Before I Die by Jenny Downham - it has also been published as Now Is Good as that was the title of the movie adaptation.

Lastly, if she liked The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series she mightn't know that there was a fifth book called Sisterhood Everlasting which is set a few years after the fourth book.

I have Looking for Alibrandi but haven't read it yet. I've read On the Jellicoe Road, Froi, Saving Francesca and The Piper's Son. She is an amazing writer. Love her!

If you loved the Sister of the Traveling Pants series, don't read the fifth book. Horrible. Ann Brashares should have kept the series YA. The fifth book was too serious, dramatic and sad.

Not a series, but I like LynnVisible by Julia Devillers (I just read it two weeks ago for the millionth time;))

Series: Confessions of April Grace, Little House, Dolphin Diaries, Dear America, Royal Diaries, Nancy Drew..:)

As an avid reader, I can say that I don't like getting books as gifts.
That being said, I can't recommend Gregory Maguire enough. Wicked ( the first in a series of four) or Confessions of an Ugly Step Sister are a good choice, but anything of his is wonderful, mostly fairy tales from a different point of view.

I love Gregory Maguire too, especially Wicked, but I actually think that might be a bit too adult. It depends on the person, obviously, but I found the whole Philosophy Club chapter extremely squeamish.

If she enjoys reading she probably read all of the 'trendy books' (i.e. Hunger Games, Fault in our Stars, although they are good they are extremely popular in her age group). I would recommend a classic: Brave New World, Of Mice and Men, The Great Gatsby, Enders Game, Huck Finn etc. Or even a graphic novel like Maus (it deals with the Holocaust in unapologetic terms but its a worthy read) or Watchmen (it deals with the fall of grace of superheros with human failings). You could even do an anthology which would have several short stories and maybe a few novels (I have loved them since college lit courses). Although anthologies can be expensive (think $30+, but you usually get 7-13 full works) you can find them for a fraction of the cost at some secondhand bookstores. Do note however that anthologies are designed for college level readers both in subject material and vocabulary breadth (although its not anything a college prep or ap lit student wouldn't possibly read). If all else fails and you have no idea what she needs/wants a gift card to a bookstore would be cook (especially if you have a nifty secondhand store near you/her, I love used book stored because they feel like a treasure hunt) Books are wonderful and its great that you want to give your dn a book.

Thanks for the tip about Maus. My sister is about to be 16 at the end of Jan, and I think this will be great for her. She's studying the Holocaust in school right now, and is very upset that it's only a semester long class. She's thoroughly enjoying learning about the Holocaust, and I think this will make a great addition to her birthday present.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter