Book Suggestions

medicjch

Mouseketeer
Hey Folks, I know there are many readers on here so I'm looking for some new books.....I've recently read:
  • Pillars of the Earth
  • World Without End
  • Devil In the White City
  • The Help
  • Unbroken
  • Water For Elephants

I do want to read Fall of Giants (at least I think I do), but I'm saving it for a month or so when I'm going to be doing some serious airplane sitting. I've downloaded a bunch of samples on my Kindle, but nothing is grabbing my attention right now, so I thought some of you might be able to suggest a book that you enjoyed. Thanks in advance!:thumbsup2

If you can handle a Ken Follett heavy read, then I say go for the four books in The Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin:

A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance of Dragons (coming July '11)

They're medieval fantasy (which I normally HATE) but are AMAZING books. My husband said "just try them, you'll like them!" I could NOT put them down. Out of this world characters, settings, and adventure!!!

HBO/BBC has optioned them for a series. A Game of Thrones premieres in April and I am GEEKING out about them!!!!

I'm currently re-reading them in preparation for the premiere and the 5th in the series that comes out in July.....

These aren't new books but ones I enjoyed a while back- The Glass Castle, The Kite Runner, The Time Traveler's Wife.

The kite runner is a wonderful book, and if you like that, "three cups of tea" is true story and very inspiring!

I am in the same boat. I just downloaded some samples too and nothing is grabbing me either. I've read all of the books you mentioned above. Some of my favorites are:

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
Molokai by Alan Brennert
Juliet by Anne Fortier
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

I'm interested in what others have to recommend too!

Two of my ALL TIME favorites are:

Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (PHENOMENAL book!!)
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

I couldn't put down either one of these - I was completely entranced. They were the kind of books you FORCE yourself to take a break from because you don't want to finish them. :)

I can’t resist a book recommendation.

Two recent reads that I loved are:

The Tiger’s Wife
The Name of the Wind

Also, include another vote for The Thirteenth Tale if you haven’t read it already.

I am kind of in a book rut too!! Keep the suggestions coming. I just read the first two books in the "Girl with the dragon tatoo series but I can't seem to get into the third book.

I recently read "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" and it was wonderful. Some of my all time faves are "Water for Elephants", "The Kite Runner"," A Thousand Splendid Suns", "The Time Travellers Wife",

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell
Firefly by Piers Anthony

I love Piers Anthony! On a Pale Horse is one of my favorite books.

Also agree about The Thirteenth Tale, loved it.

Right now I'm reading the latest Thursday Next book by Jasper Fforde and am waiting for The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks to arrive from Amazon.

Great thread!!

I'm taking a break from Ken Follet because his books are really long and sometimes can be drawn out. I'm currently reading Juliet and have recently read books in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich and Peace from Broken Pieces by Iyanla Vanzant.

Great thread!!

I'm taking a break from Ken Follet because his books are really long and sometimes can be drawn out. I'm currently reading Juliet and have recently read books in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich and Peace from Broken Pieces by Iyanla Vanzant.

How is Peace from Broken Pieces? I saw Iyania on Oprah last week and have her book in my Amazon cart, trying to decide if I should get it.

I read a lot of Iyanla's book back in college when she was a popular author. I am almost done with this one and am loving it. :thumpsup2

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Still Alice by Lisa Genova

I've read so many awesome books over the years it's hard to list them all. The ones I listed were fairly recent. I have a kindle so I'm always on the lookout for good books! :thumbsup2

A few I've enjoyed recently (all on my Kindle):

Sarah's Key
Unbillable Hours (this was free when I got it)
Elizabeth Street
My Life in France - Julia Child

Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese. Engrossing, fascinating, very well written. I can't possibly summarize the plot but you must read it.

Healerand Oxygen by Carol Cassella (sp?) were 2 interesting books I recently finished.

I'm reading The Space Between Us right now. For me, it's one of those books that is okay. Not bad enough to quit in the middle but not good enough to finish. Ugh.

A few I've enjoyed recently (all on my Kindle):

Sarah's Key
Unbillable Hours (this was free when I got it)
Elizabeth Street
My Life in France - Julia Child

Great thread!

I'm in 2 book clubs and we just read "Little Bee" by Chris Cleave and "Finny" by Justin Kramon. The entire group did not like Little Bee but we all loved Finny. Our books for the next months are:
Sarah's Key
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Cutting For Stone
Strength in What Remains

They sound good :confused3

Keep the ideas coming :banana:

I'm currently reading Roses by Leila Meachem. I bought it because I had heard rave reviews regarding it. I've not been able to get into it much. The main character is seriously irritating, but I'm the only person I know that hasn't really enjoyed it. It's really long, so it would be good for an airplane trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter