Booking a taxi

Tahariel

Mouseketeer
Hello,

I know this might seem a silly question but bear with me.

I'm going to Disney this September but also spending two days at Universal. On my last visit I had a car, so it was easy to travel between the two. This time because we're staying on-site, we've opted out of a rental. (I only discovered the DIS weeks after I booked my holiday, so sadly no Dreams Unlimited Travel Option) I've looked into the fare from POFQ to Universal and it worked out cheaper than a rental for those two days.

But I've never booked a taxi in the US and wouldn't know how and with whom etc. Could anyone give me some advice?

Thanks in advance,
Tanya

If you go to the bell service staff outside at POFQ they will call a cab for you - it will be Mears. We do this all the time on Disney property. I assume there is a taxi rank at Universal as there are at all the Disney parks to get back.

You could use Uber however I have my reservations about them (proper insurance to cover fee paying passengers being the main one) and won't use them despite them being cheaper.

We don't generally use taxi's in the US but just got back this morning from a roadtrip around the Deep South. Whilst in New Orleans we decided to get a taxi back one night as there was nearly 50 minute wait for the next streetcar. My Brother was with us and uses Uber all the time. The system is brilliant, he chose nearest available car to us, booked it, paid direct online, no money changes hands. Very nice Infiniti SUV arrived where we were stood within 2 minutes(you follow it on the map) Took us across town to our hotel, total cost $5.95.

I was just in Orlando -went to visit some friends in Davenport which is about 18miles from Disney - the Mears taxi approximator gave estimated fare of $51 - Uber was $18 - fantastic service.
I dont know if there are any genuine concerns around Uber as raised above but I would imagine they have to be pretty well covered to sign up...using Uber you get to see how long it will take to get there, a picture of the driver and license as soon as you press the request Uber button - personally I wouldnt hesitate to use them again in Orlando.

I used Uber to get from Disney to Universal and it was great. WAY cheaper than Mears or a yellow cab. I would definitely recommend using them

Thank you for all your helpful information!

Do you just use the regular Uber app or do I need to download a US version? I've never used Uber over here either, so thanks again :)

If we ever need a taxi we do as Elise says - go to bell services at any onsite hotel and a taxi is usually there within minutes.

There is a taxi rank at Universal, just outside CityWalk.

Thank you for all your helpful information!

Do you just use the regular Uber app or do I need to download a US version? I've never used Uber over here either, so thanks again :)

Nope you just use the regular app

I'm trying to decide whether to hire a car or not. Currently looking at staying on-site and spending the majority of the time at Disney but, with potential for 3 days at Universal and one day at Busch Gardens.
Anyone have any idea on current typical fares (or have a link to a site with such info) so I can compare costs?

Thanks

Ignore me, I've found the uber and Mears estimators :-)

Last edited:
All set then! Thank you everyone :)

There's a $22 free credit for Uber kicking about. Code is FEELING22 and it should be valid until 1/1/2017. I believe you can only use it for your first journey.

We've decided to give Uber a go this trip and if we don't like it we'll stick to taxis.

If you go to the bell service staff outside at POFQ they will call a cab for you - it will be Mears. We do this all the time on Disney property. I assume there is a taxi rank at Universal as there are at all the Disney parks to get back.

You could use Uber however I have my reservations about them (proper insurance to cover fee paying passengers being the main one) and won't use them despite them being cheaper.

Agree and in fact it isn't always cheaper. I got a quote from UBEr from Edinburgh airport to home in fife and Edinburgh airport taxis were actually cheaper than uber.

Agree and in fact it isn't always cheaper. I got a quote from UBEr from Edinburgh airport to home in fife and Edinburgh airport taxis were actually cheaper than uber.

It's certainly cheaper in London compared to a Black Cab. And the calculators for Orlando seem to make it cheaper (ignoring surge pricing)

I'd be happy on short trips around WDW, but up to Universal on the I4 I'd be more worried about the insurance thing!

We've decided to give Uber a go this trip and if we don't like it we'll stick to taxis.

Same here, gotta try it once I think.

We're there the same time, where you guys staying?

We used Uber! You get your first ride free too so it cost us $15 to go from All star music to Universal and back again! it was like $80 with a taxi! Our uber drivers have always been really lovely too! One of the guys who drove us was SO nice that it is one of our favourite memories of our trip as he told us all about Orlando and he was just a lovely guy ^_^

Apologies for asking but what exactly is uber? I've seen it mentioned but no idea?

Apologies for asking but what exactly is uber? I've seen it mentioned but no idea?
It's a Taxi service where by you use your smartphone to request the taxi, and you pay for it via the App.

It's cheaper because the Business Model is different. all of the Drivers are self employed, and not directly employed by Uber.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter