Booking a throw away room to protect park tickets?

babydoll65

DIS Veteran
Hopefully someone will understand where I'm coming from.
I tend to book Dvc rental quite a bit when I go to Disney but usually book a one nights stay (arrival day) with my seven day parkhoppers to make it a pkg. This way if I had to cancel, my pkg can be cancelled for a full refund (if cancelled prior to thirty days before arrival)
I'm heading back in November 2024 doing three nights at Pop Century (with 7 day parkhoppers) then switching to Boulder Ridge for five night (already booked with the Dvc Rental Store)
After looking on the dvc site, I could get Old Key West for only $70 more per night for those same three nights I'm at Pop. Was thinking of booking one night at Fort Wilderness ($100) with my tickets to make it a pkg and put in to rent points. This way my tickets are protected since its a pkg and can do payments vs paying in full and being stuck with tickets that are non refundable. I understand that tickets can hold value to be used towards future ticket purchases but the guest coming with me may not be able to book again and I'm not sure if you can reassign a ticket once its purchased. Does this sound like a good idea? Btw, even with paying for a one night/tent site at FW, I would still be saving $500 over those three nights vs Disneys rack rate.

I tend to book Dvc rental quite a bit when I go to Disney but usually book a one nights stay (arrival day) with my seven day parkhoppers to make it a pkg. This way if I had to cancel, my pkg can be cancelled for a full refund (if cancelled prior to thirty days before arrival)
I'm heading back in November 2024 doing three nights at Pop Century (with 7 day parkhoppers) then switching to Boulder Ridge for five night (already booked with the Dvc Rental Store)
After looking on the dvc site, I could get Old Key West for only $70 more per night for those same three nights I'm at Pop. Was thinking of booking one night at Fort Wilderness ($100) with my tickets to make it a pkg and put in to rent points. This way my tickets are protected since its a pkg and can do payments vs paying in full and being stuck with tickets that are non refundable. I understand that tickets can hold value to be used towards future ticket purchases but the guest coming with me may not be able to book again and I'm not sure if you can reassign a ticket once its purchased. Does this sound like a good idea? Btw, even with paying for a one night/tent site at FW, I would still be saving $500 over those three nights vs Disneys rack rate.
Seems like a lot of trouble “to protect my tickets”. Tickets don’t loose the value that you paid for them. What you paid would be applied to a future ticket purchase as long as the ticket was never used. You would only need to pay the difference in price since ticket prices do go up.

Pop has the sky liner though and I love OKW but it’s park transportation is only busses. Something to consider

Seems like a lot of trouble “to protect my tickets”. Tickets don’t loose the value that you paid for them. What you paid would be applied to a future ticket purchase as long as the ticket was never used. You would only need to pay the difference in price since ticket prices do go up.
I put in my post that I understand they do not lose value . But can they be reassigned once they are purchased? The upside is you can do payments which is a plus.

Would it be cheaper to buy your tickets from Undercover Tourist, which has a 95% refund policy for unused tickets purchased through them? That way, you lose nothing if the tickets are used and only 5% if you have to get the refund. Paying $100 for a throwaway night at Fort Wilderness sounds like a lot to pay just to keep the option of a refund available.

Would it be cheaper to buy your tickets from Undercover Tourist, which has a 95% refund policy for unused tickets purchased through them? That way, you lose nothing if the tickets are used and only 5% if you have to get the refund. Paying $100 for a throwaway night at Fort Wilderness sounds like a lot to pay just to keep the option of a refund available.
Ill look into it but i assume you can't do payments. Not sure if I want to dish out $1700 at this time.

I’ll look into it but i assume you can't do payments. Not sure if I want to dish out $1700 at this time.
I’d wait to buy the tickets and do them through UT when your finances are ready. Trying to package them sounds like a pain in the rear just to hedge against a ticket price increase (and to pay more money to buy your tickets over time is a fancy way of saying you’re financing your ticket purchase- not good).

Your guest should buy via UT too. Best call I ever made was having my friend buy her tickets via UT because she has a history of bailing. Sure enough she bailed at the last minute so all she was out was 5% instead of stuck with a credit she might struggle to use in the future.

We used to book room/ticket packages and sometimes even add dining plan. The tickets through WDW have just gotten too expensive.

Check out attractiontickets.com - a UK ticket site. We just got back from a trip using these tickets and they are no different than what you’d get from WDW site. We put the ticket numbers into our MDE account and they worked at the park tapstyle Day 1 with no issues. We saved over $200 per ticket on 7 day hoppers.

IMG_0588.jpeg

You can put as little as £10 down (about $13usd). You can also add on Flex-Plus for £20.

You also get free Memory Maker (about $200 value) and free Magic Bands if you go to Disney Springs to pick up.

You could still add dining plan to your DVC reservation if you’d like.

ETA - Almost forgot! They often have discount codes somewhere between 5% to 10%. Keep your eye out and they pop every other weeek or so.

I’d wait to buy the tickets and do them through UT when your finances are ready. Trying to package them sounds like a pain in the rear just to hedge against a ticket price increase (and to pay more money to buy your tickets over time is a fancy way of saying you’re financing your ticket purchase- not good).

Your guest should buy via UT too. Best call I ever made was having my friend buy her tickets via UT because she has a history of bailing. Sure enough she bailed at the last minute so all she was out was 5% instead of stuck with a credit she might struggle to use in the future.
Not sure why its a pain booking it as a pkg. Only takes a few minutes going online and putting down the $200 deposit. I'm not doing this to try to save money in case ticket prices go up, it was to safe guard it if I had to cancel the entire reservation. (to get a full refund of both room and tickets) I did go on uct and my savings is $146 total for two, seven day parkhoppers. Its definitely an option ill look into.

We used to book room/ticket packages and sometimes even add dining plan. The tickets through WDW have just gotten too expensive.

Check out attractiontickets.com - a UK ticket site. We just got back from a trip using these tickets and they are no different than what you’d get from WDW site. We put the ticket numbers into our MDE account and they worked at the park tapstyle Day 1 with no issues. We saved over $200 per ticket on 7 day hoppers.

View attachment 822006

You can put as little as £10 down (about $13usd). You can also add on Flex-Plus for £20.

You also get free Memory Maker (about $200 value) and free Magic Bands if you go to Disney Springs to pick up.

You could still add dining plan to your DVC reservation if you’d like.

ETA - Almost forgot! They often have discount codes somewhere between 5% to 10%. Keep your eye out and they pop every other weeek or so.
This is available to US guests??

To echo what others have said: your plan, while strategic, seems to be too much work for no real gain. UT is a viable option and the 95% cash back is good solid versus 100% park credit. Plus, UT will often save you a bit of coin compared to WDW direct, so that’s a win, too.

To echo what others have said: your plan, while strategic, seems to be too much work for no real gain. UT is a viable option and the 95% cash back is good solid versus 100% park credit. Plus, UT will often save you a bit of coin compared to WDW direct, so that’s a win, too.
Its not a credit, it's a full refund back to your original method of payment.

I
Not sure why it’s a pain booking it as a pkg. Only takes a few minutes going online and putting down the $200 deposit. I'm not doing this to try to save money in case ticket prices go up, it was to safe guard it if I had to cancel the entire reservation. (to get a full refund of both room and tickets) I did go on uct and my savings is $146 total for two, seven day parkhoppers. Its definitely an option I’ll look into.
perhaps I’m missing something- I read OP as indicating you have rooms booked but are now looking to transition to fully DVC rental. And book the 1 night at FW to secure refund on park tickets.

Does the bundle, FW throwaway night and park tickets, somehow offer protections for the DVC rental? That’d be great if it does but I don’t think so?

I

perhaps I’m missing something- I read OP as indicating you have rooms booked but are now looking to transition to fully DVC rental. And book the 1 night at FW to secure refund on park tickets.

Does the bundle, FW throwaway night and park tickets, somehow offer protections for the DVC rental? That’d be great if it does but I don’t think so?
At this time I have three nights at pop with seven day parkhoppers booked through Disney and a five night dvc rental at Boulder Ridge. Since okw is only $70 more per night renting points for those same three nights I'm booked at Pop, i want to rent dvc points instead which leaves me booking my tickets separately. Since tickets are non refundable and again, I'm not sure if they can be reassigned I just wanted some protection If had to cancel. Plus its nice to be able to do payments if I make it a pkg booking a cheap, one night reservation. The Dvc Rental Store has a decent cancellation policy where you receive credit for a future stay.

At this time I have three nights at pop with seven day parkhoppers booked through Disney and a five night dvc rental at Boulder Ridge. Since okw is only $70 more per night renting points for those same three nights I'm booked at Pop, i want to rent dvc points instead which leaves me booking my tickets separately. Since tickets are non refundable and again, I'm not sure if they can be reassigned I just wanted some protection If had to cancel. Plus its nice to be able to do payments if I make it a pkg booking a cheap, one night reservation. The Dvc Rental Store has a decent cancellation policy where you receive credit for a future stay.
Last year, I re-assigned a ticket that was in my name to a friend and even moved the dates several times. It was easy and all done on MDE as long as you don't let the date expire. I kept pushing it out to the latest date possible with no additional ticket cost until I settled on a date to use it with a friend.

Last year, I re-assigned a ticket that was in my name to a friend and even moved the dates several times. It was easy and all done on MDE as long as you don't let the date expire. I kept pushing it out to the latest date possible with no additional ticket cost until I settled on a date to use it with a friend.
That's good to know. Did you purchase your tickets through Disney or from third party site? Or does it even matter?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter