Booking flights via SW with the SWA RR Visa....how many points?

MommyBryn

DIS Veteran
I know the SWA visa is 2pts/$ for flights. However, my question is about how you get RR points for booking even without a SWA visa. For example, just plugging in dates on the SWA site will say I get "X" amount of points for this flight, so lets go with 1,500 points for the flight, which totals $1341.41. Do I get the 1,500 PLUS the 2x points for the $1341? Or is it just the SWA 2x points?

I've had a SWA visa before but only booked my flights with points I already had so didn't consider this, so I'm trying to get this straight in order to anticipate what it's going to take to earn a companion pass after bonuses. Thanks!

I know the SWA visa is 2pts/$ for flights. However, my question is about how you get RR points for booking even without a SWA visa. For example, just plugging in dates on the SWA site will say I get "X" amount of points for this flight, so lets go with 1,500 points for the flight, which totals $1341.41. Do I get the 1,500 PLUS the 2x points for the $1341? Or is it just the SWA 2x points?

I've had a SWA visa before but only booked my flights with points I already had so didn't consider this, so I'm trying to get this straight in order to anticipate what it's going to take to earn a companion pass after bonuses. Thanks!
Anyone who pays for the flight (not just those with a SW Visa) will earn a small number of Rapid Rewards points depending on the cost of the flight/fare category.

Individuals with a SW Visa will earn 2x points on the cost of the flight (on top of the amount they’ll receive like everyone else).

You do not earn points when you’re paying with points.

Also note that while you earn the credit card points immediately, the flight points are not earned until you actually fly. One of the surprisingly helpful ways we reached companion pass so quickly this year is through the SW hotel booking site with points boost. We usually use Orbitz or book directly through Hhonors, but for a few dollars more we were able to earn thousands of extra miles on one and two night hotel stays.

Yes, you get the flight rewards and the 2x credit card rewards (if paid with SW Visa) for each flight, but the flight credits will only be recognized if you entered your SW Rapid Rewards number on the reservation (you can add the number to the reservation after you've booked if you forgot).

So if the flight was $600 and the flight miles were 1500, you would get 1200 points on from your visa and 1500 from the flight, 2700 points total. If you are A list, you get an extra 25% flight miles (but those do not count towards companion pass).

I also book my rental cars through their site if the pricing is good because you get extra reward miles for companies that partner with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter