• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Booking - How Do You Book Your Cruise if Not Booked on the Ship?

lat

DIS Veteran
DVC Gold
Hi, I am so excited that we are finally looking at another cruise after quite a few years. This will be our 10th finally. In the past, I booked on the ship to get the early booking discount. However, now I am thinking of using Costco to get a $500 gift card. I feel I am so disconnected with all the resources that I am starting over again. Thank you!!!

You no longer actually book future cruises on the ship. You can book Placeholders for $250 on the Navigator App. The placeholder gives you a 10% discount on a future cruise and 10% deposit on 7 nights or longer. The placeholder is good for 2 years and you must sail before the 2 years is up. If you don't book a cruise with your placeholder your money will be returned to the original form of payment.

However, as of right now, you have to call DCL to book your cruise with the placeholder. You cannot book a cruise with your placeholder on line.

I believe you can assign a travel agent to your booking.

Otherwise, I book online opening day if there is an itinerary that suits us. I don't use a travel agent or go through Costco because I like to have ultimate control of my booking.

Last edited:
You can call Costco Travel and tell them the cruise, stateroom type and preferred location, and number of passengers. They will then book a stateroom for you. You may even be able to book entirely online on the Costco Travel site.

I have not used Costco, but this is the process I use for my travel agent — tell her what I want, and she books it, gives me the details, and asks how I want to pay the deposit. Any payments you make will go through Costco rather than directly to DCL, and any changes involving a change in fare — changing cruise dates, staterooms, or passengers — or adding ground transportation will need to go through Costco. You can still book onboard activities and excursions yourself.

Got it, all set, so excited!!!!!!!! Thank you so much!!

Did I read this right. The placeholder gives you 10% off any cruise. But I’d the cruise is 7 nights or longer you get another 10% for a total of 20% off

I thought with a placeholder it was just 10% off regardless of length
That’s a great deal and to think I was happy with 10%

Did I read this right. The placeholder gives you 10% off any cruise. But I’d the cruise is 7 nights or longer you get another 10% for a total of 20% off

I thought with a placeholder it was just 10% off regardless of length
That’s a great deal and to think I was happy with 10%
I believe that I f the placeholder cruise is 7 nights or longer, the deposit is 10% instead of the normal amount.

I’ve booked a placeholder on board and once I returned home I transferred the placeholder to Costco which you must do within 30 days. Then I just call costco when I know which cruise I want and they handle it with DCL.

We book through Costco. Too hard to beat the $$ back. If you don't see a cabin you like on their website, call them. They can contact Disney and get you what you want if it's available.

We always book through Costco. We usually end up calling because nowadays we are always booking with a placeholder, and you can't do that online. I call them, tell them exactly what I want, and then they put me on hold and call Disney to book it. As someone else said, since you aren't booking with a placeholder, you should be able to do it online. That said, not all of the available rooms show up on the Costco website. If you see a specific room that you want on the Disney site that is not available on the Costco site, you will need to call Costco and then they will call Disney. If you see a room on the Costco site that you are happy with, you can book it online.

FOR YOUR NEXT CRUISE AFTER THE ONE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT BOOKING NOW: If you are planning to buy a placeholder during your cruise, just make sure you keep Costco as the travel agent (I can't remember how to do this in the app - it may be automatic if your current cruise was booked through Costco). That way when you call Costco to book the next cruise, it should be in their system already. If Costco isn't assigned as the travel agent, they won't be able to book it with the placeholder. I think someone said something about transferring it to Costco - that's a hassle and has to be done within 30 days of booking the placeholder. Much easier to just make sure Costco is assigned when you buy the placeholder.

You no longer actually book future cruises on the ship. You can book Placeholders for $250 on the Navigator App. The placeholder gives you a 10% discount on a future cruise and 10% deposit on 7 nights or longer. The placeholder is good for 2 years and you must sail before the 2 years is up. If you don't book a cruise with your placeholder your money will be returned to the original form of payment.

However, as of right now, you have to call DCL to book your cruise with the placeholder. You cannot book a cruise with your placeholder on line.

I believe you can assign a travel agent to your booking.

Otherwise, I book online opening day if there is an itinerary that suits us. I don't use a travel agent or go through Costco because I like to have ultimate control of my booking.
Thanks for sharing this info. I just looked at the app and couldn't find anywhere to buy a placeholder. Could you tell me where it's on the app? Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter