• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Booking online vs. travel agent

mysunshine

Earning My Ears
We are in the planning stages for our next trip (oct. 2008). Other than going for one day two weeks ago we haven't been to WDW since April 2004. For that trip we booked our vacation through a local travel agent, but to be very honest I was disappointed in her knowledge. The travel agent actually encouraged me not to try and get breakfast at Cinderella's castle, but "it is impossible". But thanks to so many great people here I did get a reservation for the 2nd morning that we were there!!! THANK YOU!!

So, what is the advantages vs. disadvantages in booking a trip yourself or using a travel agent. This site is full of SO much information and great people I know that ya'll can help me!! Thanks! Lynn

I booked through my TA for my upcoming trip. I have never booked online so I do not know what the experience is like. I did like that I told my TA what I wanted and all I had to do was give her my credit card. She booked everything for me. Package, airfare, ADR's and show packages. I didn't have to do a thing. I had a great TA that knew Disney very well so I was very happy. however, not all TA are Disney knowledgable or will make sure you are completley satisfied so it may not always be a pleasant experience. If you are unsure, book online. If you do a TA, make sure you know they know what they are doing.

I booked through my TA for my upcoming trip. I have never booked online so I do not know what the experience is like. I did like that I told my TA what I wanted and all I had to do was give her my credit card. She booked everything for me. Package, airfare, ADR's and show packages. I didn't have to do a thing. I had a great TA that knew Disney very well so I was very happy. however, not all TA are Disney knowledgable or will make sure you are completley satisfied so it may not always be a pleasant experience. If you are unsure, book online. If you do a TA, make sure you know they know what they are doing.

I recommend BOTH. It doesnt cost you anything to have a travel agent price out your trip. Get that price from them, and at the same time, go online and try to book airfare (directly from the airline!!!), disney tickets from a 3rd party agent, and a room directly from disney (or outside hotel)

See which is cheaper, and do it.

I will never use a TA again. I knew way more about Disney than she did (and she was supposedly a Disney "expert"!) and I hated not being able to get information about MY reservation when I called.

CR always told me that they couldn't give me any information, since I didn't "own" the reservation. Excuse me?? :headache:

So, I had that reservation put back in MY name, so I was able to make changes myself and get information whenever I wanted and I didn't have to go through a third person.

We used Small World Travel this time and have been very pleased so far. I could have done it myself, but the travel agent is watching for codes and any other discounts.

For our trip, I used a T.A. (Magical Journeys), to book our room at the WL, but I did everything else myself. I was very pleased with the service they gave us. Our agent constantly emailed me on any price changes, discounts, etc..., and it was also nice having a good secure place to have my hotel ressie backed up.
If we ever get a chance to go back again, I would most likely do the same thing.

I like to use a TA so I don't have to be bothered with anything. I just tell her what I want and like magic, I get it.

I use someone locally who I have been going to for years. She now knows me and my DH and DS, she knows what we like and dislike and can come up with very good ideas on her own in addition to mine.

The trick is find someone knowlegable and friendly and efficient and who you can trust and then stick with that person for all your trips.

Moving this over to the resorts and booking board.

Knox

For our first trip, two years ago, we used a travel agent and I was very disappointed. We did the dining plan. She really didn't tell us much about it. She didn't even offer it to us. I had to ask her about it. And it took forever to find out the basics, (i found out more on the internet before she even returned my phone call ) Nothing and I mean absolutely nothing was explained to us. And it wasn't because we didn't ask. I asked tons of questions and she gave me basic answers. We flew out of Pittsburgh with a layover in Atlanta. Well she told me she couldn't find any direct flights. Our layover was 4 hours LONG. And let me tell you it was long. Our rental car situation was a mess. Put it this way, the list could go on and on. I will never go through a travel agent again because the price she gave me wasn't any better than Disney online prices.. just BEWARE---do your research.

I just wanted to add my two cents in to this conversation....I am presently booking my 2008 vacation through Small World Vacations, and I must admit, if I had to do it over again, I would have done it through Disney directly. Last year, I booked the vacation online and did it all myself, which I did enjoy. When I went to book 2008, I thought maybe I could get better deals or just have another person to help me plan a wonderful experience, so I used the TA. My TA is friendly and always gets back to me when I want to make a payment, but she has not really done anything else for me. For example, she told me that I would have to make my own ADRs because my 180 day mark was on New Years Day, I did understand about that, and when I asked about ordering a cake for one of our dinners to celebrate our 10th anniversary she suggested that I would be best to do that. So my advice to you is if you enjoy planning, just do it yourself. Maybe I had higher expectations about what exactly a TA does for you, but somehow I expected more than just a place to make payments. As another poster pointed out, you will not be able to access your ressie through CR, and that annoyed me too, especially since I am doing the majority of the planning. I am not meaning to bash TAs or the work that they do, because I have read so many posts about terrific TAs who do so much to make sure their customers are happy(actually this was another one of the reasons I decided to try one this time around):wizard: , but I was disappointed with my TA and the whole using a TA experience.

And I'm so happy I did! Yes, I love the planning, and I did the planning. When I decided what we wanted to do, and where we wanted to eat, I emailed my TA (dreamsunlimitedtravel.com) with all the details, and he handled it all. In the meantime, he's watching for codes for my time frame and can adjust my reservation asap to take advantage of them. The reason I went with a TA after planning and booking 11 trips on my own was that I was within the 180 days when we decided to go, so I was unsure about getting the ADRs I wanted. He got them all, at great times. He always answers my questions promptly. So far, no complaints, couldn't be happier. And it doesn't cost anything either! Good luck with whatever you choose, and have a great trip!

Kathy

Just a reminder to everyone. You are not allowed to mention that you are a travel agent here on the DIS. It may appear to some that you are trying to get business here and that is not allowed.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I just wanted to add my two cents in to this conversation....I am presently booking my 2008 vacation through Small World Vacations, and I must admit, if I had to do it over again, I would have done it through Disney directly. Last year, I booked the vacation online and did it all myself, which I did enjoy. When I went to book 2008, I thought maybe I could get better deals or just have another person to help me plan a wonderful experience, so I used the TA. My TA is friendly and always gets back to me when I want to make a payment, but she has not really done anything else for me. For example, she told me that I would have to make my own ADRs because my 180 day mark was on New Years Day, I did understand about that, and when I asked about ordering a cake for one of our dinners to celebrate our 10th anniversary she suggested that I would be best to do that. So my advice to you is if you enjoy planning, just do it yourself. Maybe I had higher expectations about what exactly a TA does for you, but somehow I expected more than just a place to make payments. As another poster pointed out, you will not be able to access your ressie through CR, and that annoyed me too, especially since I am doing the majority of the planning. I am not meaning to bash TAs or the work that they do, because I have read so many posts about terrific TAs who do so much to make sure their customers are happy(actually this was another one of the reasons I decided to try one this time around):wizard: , but I was disappointed with my TA and the whole using a TA experience.

I always book my own vacations, just because I am anal and a self-proclaimed "control freak". I need to be on the phone 180 days out booking dining, checking for discounts all the time, etc. I love being able to make all the puzzle pieces fit with my vacations - getting the resort I want, the dining reservations I want, the discounts... to me it's fun, BUT I have the time to do it.

I have friends who don't have the time or patience for this and have used travel agents for the past few years (they are in the NJ/CT areas and I "think" they have used Cheryl and Lynn from Small World - not positive about those names, but I know it is that agency - the one on Mousesavers). They can't say enough about the service they have gotten. All they do is tell their agent when they want to go, where they want to stay, and where they want to eat, and it's done. For them it works perfectly.

I lurk here much, much more than I post, but I see lots of discussion about TA vs. "self booking". It just seems to me that some people set themselves up for disappointment booking with a TA when they say how much they enjoy doing it themselves.

Just my two cents. :)

I am never going to use a travel agent again except for maybe Dreams Unlimited. The TA that booked our last trip had absolutely no knowledge of Disneyworld, and said that there weren't suites at any of the Disney hotels, just standard rooms. She also said that you will have no trouble finding TS restaurants to eat at if you don't make reservations... :sad2:

Needless to say, we made ADR's. :)

"It just seems to me that some people set themselves up for disappointment booking with a TA when they say how much they enjoy doing it themselves.

Just my two cents. :)"

I agree with your statement, especially in my case. I guess I should have known better:rolleyes: than to book when I enjoy the hands on stuff myself, but I was disappointed that when I did want him to do something for me he suggested that I should do it myself. I wanted to try a new way of vacation planning, thinking the TA would have some expertise that I do not. My travel agent is an awesome person, friendly and professional, so I cannot say anything negative on that front, but for those who like to/or have the time to do it yourself, you might as well, and avoid disappointing yourself.

I have a different take on your question. $$$ I wanted to book the cruise and a 6 night land package and got online and did some research. Then I read about people having so much success with their travel agents, I went to my local TA and had her do some research. I went ahead and had her book my cruise - no discount forthcoming, then came home and really did a lot of research on the forums for my land package and airline tickets. I wasn't sure where I wanted to stay - offsite, onsite, which resort, etc.

I read a lot of posts of people using AAA for better deals, so I contacted AAA, dreamsunlimited and 2 other travel agents and told them exactly what, when, where, etc. AAA is the only one that gave me a discount. All the other agents quoted me the exact same price as what I researched online for myself. So, I didn't save any money booking the cruise with my first agent, but saved several hundred $$ with AAA on the resort, tickets, dining, etc. I bought my airline myself as website discounts are always better when I fly.

Yes, I am dealing with two agents for my trip, but I have everything arranged and all is well. Another point - my local AAA agent is much more helpful and knowledgeable than the other "Disney expert" TA is. Just my two cents.

AAA is the only one that gave me a discount. All the other agents quoted me the exact same price as what I researched online for myself. So, I didn't save any money booking the cruise with my first agent, but saved several hundred $$ with AAA on the resort, tickets, dining, etc. I bought my airline myself as website discounts are always better when I fly.

From what I see on these TA's sites online, they cannot book AAA packages that include dining. Only AAA offices can do that. The Disney TA's that are talked about here can only book a Room Only reservation with a AAA discount and add tickets. I am not 100% sure on this, but I think that is what I remember reading.

From what I see on these TA's sites online, they cannot book AAA packages that include dining. Only AAA offices can do that. The Disney TA's that are talked about here can only book a Room Only reservation with a AAA discount and add tickets. I am not 100% sure on this, but I think that is what I remember reading.

You are correct. Only AAA can apply a AAA discount to a full package. Anyone can apply a AAA discount on a room only reservation.

You're not wrong about people wanting to do it for themselves and liking the hands on approach, which i have to admit is usually me, but as I am in Australia and am going in June(busy time I understand), I had to relinquish control to Dreams unlimited and they have been great, putting up with my incessant nagging about plans etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter