• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Booking Resorts for A Celebration of Harry Potter

rosysubmarine

A Whale of a Tale
This will be my first time visiting Universal, and I'm definitely used to making arrangements for WDW with the mindset of 'plan plan plan'.

I'm going with one of my friends to A Celebration of Harry Potter 2019, which typically doesn't have dates released until late summer or early fall. I really want to stay on-site at Universal (Cabana Bay specifically for budget reasons), not only for the Early Access passes but because I want the whole 'experience'.

My friend has been telling me nightmare stories about how she's never been able to stay on-site for Celebration because the rooms book up so fast.

Do you think it would be a good idea to go ahead and make a reservation for the last weekend in January so I can rest a little easier, or should I wait with bated breath for the date release and hope that I'm able to snag one for us? Have you all had trouble booking hotels for this time?

It's so weird not to be freaking out about ADRs and FP+! :goodvibes

EDIT: And I just realized that I posted this in the wrong section. I'm not sure how to delete (or even if I can delete) this, so I apologize!

Last edited:
I would go ahead and book now. You can always make changes free of charge.

I would go ahead and book now. You can always make changes free of charge.
Really? That'd be amazing, I thought I had read somewhere that they charge you $50 every time you make a change! :faint:

Thank you! Now, to wait for payday...

Really? That'd be amazing, I thought I had read somewhere that they charge you $50 every time you make a change! :faint:

Thank you! Now, to wait for payday...

They only charge you if you are booking a package. You're just booking the room, right?

They only charge you if you are booking a package. You're just booking the room, right?
I was planning on booking both tickets and rooms, yes. There's really nothing stopping me from buying tickets later, though, right?

You can buy tickets now and use them next January

If ticket prices increase after you bought yours, you’re ahead of the game then

Read some threads of last year’s potter celebration to get an idea of what all is included in it besides room and park tickets

I was planning on booking both tickets and rooms, yes. There's really nothing stopping me from buying tickets later, though, right?

Nope, nothing stopping you from buying tickets whenever you want. I believe you just sign up for activities on a first come first served basis. I do believe there are some special events that you only get with a package, though. If the latter is what you are interested in, I think you'll have to wait until the package is released before you book.

https://www.universalorlando.com/we...-potter/index.html#frequently-asked-questions

Op look at last year’s potter celebration thread

There were some things a person could do if they booked a package

But some posters said they did fine without the package

Some of the meets with the actors in the potter movies, had a priority entrance with the package

But what if they book the room only now and then wait until the packages are out, couldn't they then just upgrade to a package? That way, they would have a hold on a room...

But what if they book the room only now and then wait until the packages are out, couldn't they then just upgrade to a package? That way, they would have a hold on a room...
They could book a room now and cancel it when they book the potter package

As long as a room reservation is cancelled 6 days prior to arrival, full deposit is returned

I don't think you can upgrade to a package. They are two completely different reservation systems with different accounting agencies. The package one is through a travel agency so your deposit funds go to the agency who in turn pays Loews for the room and Universal for the tickets. With the non package, funds go directly to Loews. So trying to switch your deposit funds from Loews to the travel agency probably will not work.

Has anyone had any success doing that?

Hi I did the celebration a few years ago and of course procedures can change. I was not able to upgrade from a room only to a package for this event when I had asked. I just waited to buy the package just for less aggravation. You could at least have the room and if the packages sell out you would be able to attend just not do everything that comes with the celebration package.

Thank you all so, so much for the help! We're not going to be doing the celebration packages because they're simply out of our budget this year... and since this is my first time, I probably won't be missing much since I'll have both of the parks to explore for the first time!

We went ahead and reserved our room-- got a great deal that saved us $100 and we can cancel at anytime for free. I'm so happy, I feel like I can finally really, truly get excited!

Thanks again, everyone!! :jumping1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter