Booking the hotel - advice please!

Wismgari

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!

I last went to WDW 2.5 years ago and I am finally going back! It is just myself and my partner going, from 19th April until 3rd may. We booked the flights yesterday, as we managed to get a great deal! Now I need to book the hotel. I definitely want to stay on site, for the transfers, buses, magic bands etc. Now my dilemma is this...

Last time I stayed at POR, with the free QSDP and $100 gift card. I loved it there, but the dining plan really wasn't worth it to us, as I really enjoy a few character breakfasts and tend to snack a lot more than eat full quick serve meals. I also didn't like the multiple bys stops. So, this time I thought I'd like to stay at Pop. I like the idea of one bus stop, I love the look of the food court for an occasional meal, I really want to explore AOA so it is convenient and I could pay for a preferred room so everything is nearby. The issue is there is no offer on pop atm, as the offer is still free dining and the gift card. Historically, do room discounts come out in Jan? My worry about waiting to book is I want a couple of dining reservations that are popular so it would be nice to book 6 months out.

What do people think? Any advice? Any reason not to go to pop? When is best to buy for just the two of us? Trying to get the best deal we can spend our money enjoying yourself when we are there!

Thanks in advance everyone

you probably won't get any deal on POP on the UK website

you can book a room only on the US website, and if a deal comes out you can upgrade to a package by adding tickets to befenit from the offer (usually 10 to 15% on rack rate, or free QSDP as US has free QSDP on values)
but you'll be tied by the 10 days maximum of the MYW tickets.

if you need a 14 days ticket or more, then you might as well book now on the UK
or buy standalone tickets, and accomodation through expedia, hotels.com, cheaptickets or any other hotel booking site for the best discount

you don't need to have a room reservation to book restaurants. You can make them at 180 days. The only difference is that you wouldn't be able to make the ressies for the first 10 days at your 180 days mark. Only one day at a time.

No reason to discourage you from going to pop. It's the best value among the Values (no pun intended)

You can now also transfer QS credits to 3 snack credits, if that helps your decision. Though you have to redeem all 3 at the same time.

Thank you both for your help!

That is interesting about the QSDP... Is that always the case that you can use the meal credit for 3 snacks? I'm thinking of some great meals at the French bakery using 3 snacks! Do you have to use up yoursnackcredits first or not?

Still weighing up if it is worth upgrading... It's £400 each to go from pop to POFQ, which I think is where I'd go as there is only one bus stop. Although, do POFQ always sharing with POR?

Sorry for so many questions! I really like the look of the over the top nature of pop, but part of me thinks it is silly not to go for bigger beds and probably quieter resort for a similar amount of money...

You can get three snacks and redeem one QS credit instead in one transaction - it's not at all locations but certainly all the QS we tried it at worked.

We did it in Starbucks got 3 drinks for one QS credit (as we are family of 3 this worked really well for us!)

POFQ is a really nice resort. They tend to share buses at quiet times with POR but at peak times they get there own buses.

I have stayed at POR and POFQ multiple times and can count the times in one hand the resorts share a bus. That said we only visit in busy school holiday periods I can't say what happens in low season. POFQ is a small and convenient resort with the added bonus of great access to DTD. But it has no quiet pool and the main pool is, in my view, more suited for under 8's than older children and adults. Nice food court but not as good as POR food court. Definitely 100% nicer than POP though IMO. The problem with using QS for 3 snack credits which I tried this summer, is finding one location with x3 snack credits you want.

Thanks again for the advice... I am getting more confused with where I want to stay as time goes on!

I went to POR in April, a few years ago and we shared with POFQ most of the time - exception being after the fireworks. I am not a fan of riding the bus around the resort really, but for any moderate this would be the case. I loved POR, but it is the only resort I have stayed at so I think I should stay somewhere different (I also went with my ex, and so it seems a bit odd to take my bf there!). Caribbean Beach and Conorado Springs are slightly cheaper than POFQ, but CB just looks too big too me (and not overwhelmed with their food court) and CSR just doesn't look very Disney to me, since it is also a conference centre. Pop appeals most, just by an outsider looking in, as I like the in your face Disney and I like the idea I could request a top floor lake view room which could keep it a bit quieter (now decided not to book preferred if I do stay there). I also really want to see AoA, so that would be very convenient. But, as I do not spend a lot of time at the resort, perhaps a visit to AoA would be enough and then comfy beds and quieter POFQ would be better?

I am not good at decisions.... booking fast passes in advance is going to be tough!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter