Booking then re-booking

emcarle27

Mouseketeer
From what I can gather, availability for 2021 will be released mid-late summer of this year. If we book then and then this time next year free dining comes out for September, will we lose our deposit or will it be refunded to us? Or are we better off just calling and having the free dining added?

Thanks!

From what I can gather, availability for 2021 will be released mid-late summer of this year. If we book then and then this time next year free dining comes out for September, will we lose our deposit or will it be refunded to us? Or are we better off just calling and having the free dining added?

Thanks!
You should be able to modify your reservation and apply any discounts. Occasionally, the modify button doesn’t appear in MDE though in which case you would rebook and cancel your original reservation. When you cancel you would get your deposit back. However, don’t count on free dining. A lot of people expect discounts to be few and far between the second half of 2021 especially if Disney announces the 50th celebration will start over the summer.

You should be able to modify your reservation and apply any discounts. Occasionally, the modify button doesn’t appear in MDE though in which case you would rebook and cancel your original reservation. When you cancel you would get your deposit back. However, don’t count on free dining. A lot of people expect discounts to be few and far between the second half of 2021 especially if Disney announces the 50th celebration will start over the summer.

Thank you! I figured as much but wanted to figure out best way to go about it as it is our first trip to Disney as adults. Last trip for me was 10 plus years ago so I wasn't involved in the planning lol

Thank you! I figured as much but wanted to figure out best way to go about it as it is our first trip to Disney as adults. Last trip for me was 10 plus years ago so I wasn't involved in the planning lol
If a discount is available your best bet is to try online first and if the website is too slow then you can try calling as well and see which gets you through first. Sometimes they release the discounts before the phone lines are even open but if they are open there will be a long wait. It’s kind of a mess on booking day because the website is also known to crash.

We have found that as two adults, “free dining” is not nearly as good of a discount as a good room rate. We do a lot of lounge meals which are not covered by the dining plan, so for us anyway, we jump on those room discounts!

especially if Disney announces the 50th celebration will start over the summer.
But would they/it? All other anniversary celebrations have started October 1.
We have found that as two adults, “free dining” is not nearly as good of a discount as a good room rate.
Depends on the resort. Value/Moderate resorts offer the AD Plan free. That's about $52 per person, so $104 per night. Even with a 25% discount on a $300 rack rate, that's $75 vs $104.

Even for 2020 the dates just released are very limited. On the evening of Jan 1 I had emailed my TA about booking my birthday trip (in July) not knowing that free dining was going to be released yesterday. I felt horrible for giving her 5 resorts to price when that was released and messaged her to feel free to put mine off until today if it helped and she said “No worries. The dates were so limited it took me less than 10 minutes to check clients’ reservations.” Next year could be even more limited or non-existent.

If you are cancelling one reservation and booking a new one, they will refund your deposit. But it takes a few days for that to process, so you would have to lay out a new deposit for the new reservation. They will not transfer funds between the two reservations.

If you have an existing reservation, the easiest thing to do is to modify it online or by phone when free dining is released. Keep in mind that its not as simple as just adding free dining - it will depend on the free dining terms and the room availability under the free dining promotion. Only a certain number of rooms at each resort are allotted for the promotion. You may need to be flexible with dates, resort, and room type in order to modify your reservation to the free dining promotion.

If you are cancelling one reservation and booking a new one, they will refund your deposit. But it takes a few days for that to process, so you would have to lay out a new deposit for the new reservation. They will not transfer funds between the two reservations.
Is that new? They’ve transferred our deposit several times in the past, but I haven’t done it in probably 2 or 3 years.

Is that new? They’ve transferred our deposit several times in the past, but I haven’t done it in probably 2 or 3 years.
If you're just modifying/changing an existing reservation, your deposit will remain and nothing monetary will occur. But if you cancel one reservation and create a new one, with a new confirmation number, its always been my experience and understanding that they cannot transfer the deposit between two separate reservations.

Depends on the resort. Value/Moderate resorts offer the AD Plan free. That's about $52 per person, so $104 per night. Even with a 25% discount on a $300 rack rate, that's $75 vs $104.
Depends on other factors as well. Buying discounted tickets, and not having to purchase the parkhopper if you don’t really want or need it can make a room discount a better value than free dining for 2 people.

But if you cancel one reservation and create a new one, with a new confirmation number, its always been my experience and understanding that they cannot transfer the deposit between two separate reservations.

That’s what I’ve always done in the past.

Typically, I have a bounceback booked, so I never have a modify button. If I make a new reservation on the phone, and I know I’m not going to use that bounceback, they will transfer the deposit over. Or, if I just want to call in to cancel the bounceback, I’ll ask if they can apply my bounceback deposit to an existing reservation.

Like I said, it’s been a few years since I’ve done this, that’s why I’m wondering if this is a change.

That’s what I’ve always done in the past.

Typically, I have a bounceback booked, so I never have a modify button. If I make a new reservation on the phone, and I know I’m not going to use that bounceback, they will transfer the deposit over. Or, if I just want to call in to cancel the bounceback, I’ll ask if they can apply my bounceback deposit to an existing reservation.

Like I said, it’s been a few years since I’ve done this, that’s why I’m wondering if this is a change.
Its nothing new based on my own experience, but I wonder if our differing experiences are due to the way they are booked. I found this, which is still confusing, but may explain why apparently some can be transferred and some can't: https://allears.net/walt-disney-world/wdw-accommodation/resort-reservation-payment-policies/

But would they/it? All other anniversary celebrations have started October 1.
No one knows what to expect right now unfortunately. DL’s big anniversary lasted 18 months so there is some talk that Disney could start as early as Memorial Day if everything is ready. Also if bookings over the summer 2021 are a little lower than they’d like, starting the celebration early would be better for them than releasing discounts. At this point it’s just a lot of speculation with nothing concrete.

Its nothing new based on my own experience, but I wonder if our differing experiences are due to the way they are booked. I found this, which is still confusing, but may explain why apparently some can be transferred and some can't: https://allears.net/walt-disney-world/wdw-accommodation/resort-reservation-payment-policies/
Thanks for the link!
Interesting, but yeah, a bit confusing. Lol.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the gist of it is, room only deposits can be transferred to room only reservations and package deposits can be transferred to package reservations. But sometimes a room deposit can be transferred to a package reservation and vice versa.

Depends on other factors as well. Buying discounted tickets, and not having to purchase the parkhopper if you don’t really want or need it can make a room discount a better value than free dining for 2 people.

Yes - and also, how much one would spend on food each day. We don’t spend as much on food as we save with a good resort discount. So it really varies a lot and it never hurts to do some “figurin’” before you decide.

Thanks for the link!
Interesting, but yeah, a bit confusing. Lol.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the gist of it is, room only deposits can be transferred to room only reservations and package deposits can be transferred to package reservations. But sometimes a room deposit can be transferred to a package reservation and vice versa.
A room deposit can never be transferred to a package reservation, same for package to a room. It's always a cancel with refund and rebook with new payment.

We have found that as two adults, “free dining” is not nearly as good of a discount as a good room rate. We do a lot of lounge meals which are not covered by the dining plan, so for us anyway, we jump on those room discounts!

What do you mean by lounge meals not covered?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter