Booking with Disney and Baggage Fees

Shikedants

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know if I book my air fare through Disney, will I still have to pay the baggage fee with the airline? Specifically United.

A related question is, if I pay with my United Explorer Visa (where I get free bags), will I still have to pay the baggage fee. I realize I'm paying Disney with the Visa, not United directly even though I think it's the credit card company who is "picking up the bill for the bags".

Anyhoo, any info would be appreciated.

When I fly American but booked through my business travel card (or a packager like Apple Vacations), I still get the benefit. It's tied to my AAdvantage number. I wonder if United is the same?

You do have to go to guest services and show them your United Credit Card and they will note on your onboard airline check in that your bag fees are waived. One time I forgot so we were charged on the last evening and I had to stand in a very long line to get the charges reversed.

You do have to go to guest services and show them your United Credit Card and they will note on your onboard airline check in that your bag fees are waived. One time I forgot so we were charged on the last evening and I had to stand in a very long line to get the charges reversed.
I've always passed on the on board check-in because I didn't think they would be able to waive the baggage fees, but this is a great tip. Can you go to guest services anytime to show them your credit card or does it have to be the night before when everyone is at guest services? I have the American Airlines CC and each person under your reservation gets a free checked bag so not having to lug those extra 2 bags around is always a plus.

I've always passed on the on board check-in because I didn't think they would be able to waive the baggage fees, but this is a great tip. Can you go to guest services anytime to show them your credit card or does it have to be the night before when everyone is at guest services? I have the American Airlines CC and each person under your reservation gets a free checked bag so not having to lug those extra 2 bags around is always a plus.

I have used onboard check-in a couple of times, and have never gone to guest services to show them anything. When I fill out the form to set up the service, I indicate my airline status, and that I don't pay bag fees. That has always been sufficient, and I have never had bag fees posted to my onboard account.

I have used onboard check-in a couple of times, and have never gone to guest services to show them anything. When I fill out the form to set up the service, I indicate my airline status, and that I don't pay bag fees. That has always been sufficient, and I have never had bag fees posted to my onboard account.
I think it depends on airline. United requires using your United card for benefits, American gets free bags even if use another card.
Per United website:
“The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free ($25 value, each way, per person) on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their United MileagePlus® number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their Card.”

I think it depends on airline. United requires using your United card for benefits, American gets free bags even if use another card.
Per United website:
“The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free ($25 value, each way, per person) on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their United MileagePlus® number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their Card.”

Which makes we wonder, did I purchase the ticket from United, or did I purchase it from Disney?

Per United website:

I would guess people get free bags for a variety of reasons. I was just commenting that I had never had to show anything to guest services on Disney when doing the onboard airline program.

It's been a few years since we were able to use the bag service (it's not offered at all ports), but we have had mixed results on having to go to Guest Services to get them to remove the bag fees (this was with Delta). The first time we had to ask for them to be removed, but the next time it was automatic after filling out the form. Either way, it's not a big deal, and wouldn't deter me from using the service. It's so nice to put out the bags the night before and not have to worry about schlepping them anywhere until you get to your home airport.

Most of these replies approach the issue as if I was on the return leg and checking in at Guest Services on the ship. Thank you all and your comments will certainly help. My original question is really for the outbound part of the trip when I'm checking in at Newark.

Thanks again.

I can answer my own question here. I will be getting the 1st bag free. Although, I'm not sure if it's because I paid with my United Visa or if it was DCL that had something to do with it.

I can answer my own question here. I will be getting the 1st bag free. Although, I'm not sure if it's because I paid with my United Visa or if it was DCL that had something to do with it.
Almost all of the airlines provide a free checked bag if you have a CC with them. Some also include a checked bag for those traveling under your same reservation.

Here's a little extra information that hopefully will be of use to someone.

To recap, I purchased my United Airlines ticket through DCL, and paid DCL with my United Visa.

When DCL first gave me my flight confirmation number, I went into United's web site and the flight confirmation had notes that I would have to pay $25 for the first bag. My Mileage Plus number was not entered. I added the Mileage Plus number, and the note on the baggage fee went from $25, to $0.

Weeks later DCL informed me that my flight was changed to a later time, same confirmation number. Looking again at my reservation on United, the Mileage Plus number was absent, and the $25 fee was again listed. I repeated the process of adding my number and the fee again disappeared. This time I made sure to print a copy of my reservation with the $0 charge just to have handy if I get charged at check in.

The lesson here is that you gotta check things all the time. I hope this information helps someone, sometime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter