Booted from AKL Club Level for 50th Celebration Week…*update page 15*

Someone on another group said DVC is in the process of calling 500 reservations that are affected by this. A person who seemed to have knowledge said "There are renovations happening to the exterior of both Jambo and Kidani August - October. They are renovating the fencing around the overlook and doing repairs."
Wait... So all the lookouts will be blocked... ? I have oct booked and this was be a real bummer

I have a 1 bedroom CL and a standard studio booked at Jambo 9/26 - 9/29. No phone call yet but freaking out a bit. I actually had a 1 bedroom booked over at BLT because I was still trying to decide if I wanted to to take a chance on the Club Level coming back for my trip. A month ago I decided to take the chance and cancelled the BLT. Now I am so regretting my decision. This is my 50th birthday trip :(

Why wouldn’t you do exterior and fence work when the majority of the hotel was shut but wait until the super packed 50th anniversary month?

This is my issue they should have done this work earlier or they should push it back later. This seems like really bad planning.

This is my issue they should have done this work earlier or they should push it back later. This seems like really bad planning.

To be fair though, AKV club and value run at almost 100% occupancy year round.

No matter when it was done, owners would be impacted and have to be moved.

Not sure there would be anytime that would be better when you involve these rooms.

Not sure there would be anytime that would be better when you involve these rooms.
Right but minimal people using the lookouts. When come the 50th when it's at capacity now the lookouts are gonna be tarped up? So if we don't have savannah view... How are we gonna see the animals?

Right but minimal people using the lookouts. When come the 50th when it's at capacity now the lookouts are gonna be tarped up? So if we don't have savannah view... How are we gonna see the animals?
you are right, the draw at AKL/AKV IS the animals. Why else would you stay there?

you are right, the draw at AKL/AKV IS the animals. Why else would you stay there?
I am trying to stay cool about it but last time we went to AKL for our Sanaa reservation it was Nov 2019 and the windows were tarped up :( and now we have oct 11-17th non savannah room and I'm super sad about this news. I really hope it's not a 100% tarp up situation..

I am trying to stay cool about it but last time we went to AKL for our Sanaa reservation it was Nov 2019 and the windows were tarped up :( and now we have oct 11-17th non savannah room and I'm super sad about this news. I really hope it's not a 100% tarp up situation..
One can only hope. I have stayed at AKV Jambo and Kidani, and eaten at Sanaa a bunch of times. The novelty is seeing the animals there.

My response is to the impact to DVC Owners being Moved. Never a good time to do these things.

They can plan it 12 months out before anyone books it. It is called planning. But if it is emergency that is different but at bare min you do not do it during 50th, the most popular date.
So I would have it done next summer... take those rooms out now before people can book for maintenance. Or a bare min you do it when there is enough rooms to actually move people out to reasonable changes. I have been reading on facebook people who have 1 bed being ask to move to hotel room. That is a major down grade.

They can plan it 12 months out before anyone books it. It is called planning. But if it is emergency that is different but at bare min you do not do it during 50th, the most popular date.
So I would have it done next summer... take those rooms out now before people can book for maintenance. Or a bare min you do it when there is enough rooms to actually move people out to reasonable changes. I have been reading on facebook people who have 1 bed being ask to move to hotel room. That is a major down grade.
It's unreasonable to expect them to plan this for 12 months out. That is so long. You wouldn't be able to schedule contractors or get accurate pricing that far in advance. I understand that it sucks for people who are planning on being there, but if it has to happen, it has to happen.
I also don't really see how it being the 50th really changes anything. As far as I'm aware, DVC is booked to close to capacity all the time, so people would be impacted by it regardless of when it happened.

It's unreasonable to expect them to plan this for 12 months out. That is so long. You wouldn't be able to schedule contractors or get accurate pricing that far in advance. I understand that it sucks for people who are planning on being there, but if it has to happen, it has to happen.
I also don't really see how it being the 50th really changes anything. As far as I'm aware, DVC is booked to close to capacity all the time, so people would be impacted by it regardless of when it happened.
Disney has us plan out our vacations 11 months out.... Disney has renovations planned out years in advance., yes they can, it is called planning. I do it all the time. I have my vacations, my schooling, home renovations, etc... planned out for the next 5 years. Also doing it around the 50th means it is even harder to find equal or better than room accommodations even on the hotel sides.

This is just a hypothesis, but they maybe waited until the hotel side was open so they could move people there and still have them utilize DVC points. There is a backlog of DVC points that need to be used before they expire, so they probably did not want to take DVC rooms put of inventory.

That is a reasonable guess it just only works for studios not 1 beds or 2 beds.

Last edited:
This is just a hypothesis, but they maybe waited until the hotel side was open so they could move people there and still have them utilize DVC points. There is a backlog of DVC points that need to be used before they expire, so they probably did not want to take DVC rooms put of inventory.

This actually makes a lot of sense and in a way is better for the membership. All those points being used by members moved to the hotel side would have to find other places to be used if the affected rooms were taken out pre-11 months. With availability being as tight as it is, any way members can use their points this year is a good thing.

I have a value reservation for the end of October so I'm not sure if I will be affected or not. I luckily don't see the move to a Savannah view as a downgrade, but I do feel for the people who do.

Disney has us plan out our vacations 11 months out.... Disney has renovations planned out years in advance., yes they can, it is called planning. I do it all the time. I have my vacations, my schooling, home renovations, etc... planned out for the next 5 years. Also doing it around the 50th means it is even harder to find equal or better than room accommodations even on the hotel sides.
As someone who works in construction, I can guarantee you that noone has construction/renovations/maintenance planned to that level of detail at 12 months out. You may have these things penciled in, but you don't know durations or exact dates, which is why its unreasonable to expect them to have these thing planned out that far in advance.
Regardless, multiple people's trip would be impacted. It being done during the 50th doesn't change that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter