Borrowed points & canceling reservation

eleven24

DVC AKV 2007
Hello all. DVC member for 10 years now, but have never had to cancel a reservation - until now. I booked 2 weekends, one in June (which I just got back from) and another in August. The August res I had to cancel due to college move in day.

The problem is that for the Aug res I borrowed 72 points from my October-2019 use year. Having canceled that res, those points are sitting in the current use year, which expires in October & I cannot move them back to the UY from which I borrowed them. My question is, do I have to BOOK a trip by October or COMPLETE a trip by October? I'm pretty certain it's complete (or at least have the 1st day be Oct 31), but not sure.

I've looked for another weekend to use the points in Sept/Oct but nothing available anywhere. I'd consider renting out the points, but am thinking it unlikely to find someone looking to book 4 months out. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hello all. DVC member for 10 years now, but have never had to cancel a reservation - until now. I booked 2 weekends, one in June (which I just got back from) and another in August. The August res I had to cancel due to college move in day.

The problem is that for the Aug res I borrowed 72 points from my October-2019 use year. Having canceled that res, those points are sitting in the current use year, which expires in October & I cannot move them back to the UY from which I borrowed them. My question is, do I have to BOOK a trip by October or COMPLETE a trip by October? I'm pretty certain it's complete (or at least have the 1st day be Oct 31), but not sure.

I've looked for another weekend to use the points in Sept/Oct but nothing available anywhere. I'd consider renting out the points, but am thinking it unlikely to find someone looking to book 4 months out. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Pretty sure you have to use them by Sept 30th 2019. Oct UY runs Oct1-Sept30.

As stated above you have to use them by September 30, 2019. UY has little to do with when you book a trip and more to do with when the trips must take place. I would stalk the RAT and try to grab some nights in September specifically any weekends you can get at resorts closer to the parks. I've seen some movement but it will take work. Then you can try renting the confirmed reservation for F&W or MNSSHP if you happen to cover those dates.

For instance a week or two ago I got 3 nights in a Club room at AK for myself first weekend of October.

My question is, do I have to BOOK a trip by October or COMPLETE a trip by October? I'm pretty certain it's complete (or at least have the 1st day be Oct 31), but not sure.
You are limited to having to book/complete a reservation by Sept 30th. I guess you have a few option - you could post as a possible transfer or for a booking. If you put a price per point a bit less than usual you will probably have better luck. Try to book something yourself. You could look into putting the points into RCI. I don't know the ins/outs of this, I know there has been a transfer fee but it can extend the life of those points.

You are limited to having to book/complete a reservation by Sept 30th. I guess you have a few option - you could post as a possible transfer or for a booking. If you put a price per point a bit less than usual you will probably have better luck.

Second for this. I bought a loaded resale contract with points that hadn't been banked and were going to expire in just over two months. I posted them on the rental board for $10/point and had them rented in about 15 minutes.

Thanks to all for the input. Still makes no sense to me why one can't move the points back into the UY from which they are borrowed from if a res is canceled.

Regardless, I'll probably just put them up for $10 a point or so after I completely exhaust all other options

Thanks to all for the input. Still makes no sense to me why one can't move the points back into the UY from which they are borrowed from if a res is canceled.

Regardless, I'll probably just put them up for $10 a point or so after I completely exhaust all other options
That's just the rules for DVC. I don't think I can move my HIlton Grand Vacations Club points back if I move them forward.

What you ought to do is just try to sell the reservation you have. Getting a reservation for the exact number of points might be tough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter