• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Borrowing Poll

How Far Out Do You Borrow Points

• I never borrow-stay within my year's allotment

• I borrow occasionally to complete a specific reservation only

• I borrowed all I could to take the Disney Cruise

• I have borrowed as much and as far into the future as I can because I cannot get enough of WDW and s

Results are only viewable after voting.

RweTHEREyet

DIS Veteran
Just wondering what the borrowing habits of this group might be.

I personally said I would never borrow, but I just cannot seem to help it. :)

Anyone have a hard and fast rule about borrowing from future years?

I haven't borrowed yet, but I do plan on doing so to complete a Christmas 2002 reservation. That would be our third trip in the same use year, so I will definitely have to borrow to make it happen!

I don't plan on borrowing--I want to know all of my points will be available to me for the next year. I make my points work for me and stretch them out as much as I can. (I DO need SOME time in a 1 bedroom, but I usually stay in a studio--just me and DH or solo.) I treat myself to a 1bedroom at the end of my vacation. :earsgirl:

The best thing about DVC is that we can all tailor our vacations to our many different needs and desires. :D

As my plans are set so far I will be borrowing a bit, but its in the long term plan to get current again.....plus I've already borrowed to make use of my tiny little add on at VWL, so that will be borrowed every few years too.

I can see where I would get to the point of "forced add on" ;) if I don't make sure I get back into using only my current use year....so we're balancing the 2br trip when we're bringing guests with a studio trip, etc....and the next time we take guests we'll have to stay at OKW to save some points so we can avoid borrowing too.

I also like having those next years points available to borrow in case we can take a spur of the moment trip.

I'm still new to DVC. My first trip home is in September. However, since buying an OKW resale in Feb, I've already added on at VWL in May. With the current year points still available as part of the resale and the ones I got with VWL, I've banked a lot of points on top of making three ressies. Hopefully I've got enough points that I won't have to borrow but I wouldn't hesitate if it was necessary for a specific trip. I might borrow to have points to cruise next September. I hope there is another DVC cruise points special so I won't have to but I think I'm taking a 7 day cruise next year, borrow or not.

When we bought last year we had the option of banking all of our first year points, which we did, so this year we were able to do do two very nice trips and still have points left over from 2001 to bank to 2002.

I do not anticipate us using borrowing as a common occurance but rather just a couple of points to finish off a vacation. Of cause even that will leave us short the next year so one of those years we'll definately have to do an add on. We currently have 230 points per year and I think I'd like to add about 100 more in a year or two.

I borrow occasionally because of the way our use year hits. Our Use Year is June, and we almost always go to WDW last of May, first of June and again in January, so I'll borrow for a few days the end of May. MS always has to link our ressies because of the Use Year change.

I borrow every year, but not because I don't have enough annual points. I habitually use all of my points before the end of the time when I can bank 100% of my points. I never want to be in a situation where I lose points because I didn't bank in time-- things come up, after all, and sometimes we just can't help a last minute cancellation. So, that being the case, I use all of my points about halfway through my use year. If I need to vacation during the last half of my use year, I borrow from the next year. I use the same number of points each year, just in a modified version of my use year instead of the actual use year.

It's a strange system, but it works for me!

HA! I just read back over my post and realized that I actually said that I had enough points!! This is NOT the case!! In fact, I don't really think that's possible.

I voted to never borrow, that is not quite true. I never borrow more than a couple points. I use each year's points to within 10 every time. I usually bank a few, but have borrowed a few. I have banked a bunc once or twice, but I have never borrowed more than ten.

I have borrowed.....Good thing you can only borrow one year out other wise I don't think I would make it to 2010 never the less 2042 :) :) :) :) :)

We've taken 2 cruises, had a grand villa and a 2 br twice at okw and once at bwv plus a couple of studios here and there. We borrowed to do all this. Our use year is Dec and when dec 2001 comes around, we'll get 4 points......that's all that's left. In sept., we'll borrow points from Dec 2002 for a trip in aug 2002. We'd have to skip a year to get current since our use year is Dec.....I don't see that happening till our son graduates in 4 years so, I guess we are stuck on the borrowing treadmill......spruce

We borrow all the time. Our use year is the same month as our travel month. So, 11 mos in advance we borrow, then before we trip, it's replenished.

Also found out, no matter how many points you have.............it's never enough.

Have not had to borrow yet. We have been members only since 2000 and was able to bank all of those points. We are taking the 7 day cruise in 2002 so that should get us back to even.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter