• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Both parks in one day? and a few other questions

artesian

DIS Veteran
Taking the fam on our first ever CA trip and we have budgeted a day to visit the park s? We will be staying on property at DVC and have several questions some may be totally silly....
1. Do magic bands I have work in CA
2. Staying on property is there anything like early entry?
3. Is it all realistic to think we could get through both parks in a day using G+
4. How much time do I need to budget to get back to LAX if I stayed late in the day possibly to closing?

My trip is second week of Sept most likely a Sat but could flop it to Monday if that makes a huge difference.

1) Only Magicband+ works, not legacy Magicbands. Even still, you currently cannot charge to your Magicband+ nor open your hotel room at DLR (functionality to come later). You can currently scan into the parks and Lighning Lane, and scan for Photopass photographers. The bands also light up on certain rides and during nighttime entertainment.
2) Yes, there is a 30 minute early entry every day at each park for on site hotel guests. You can only choose one park to start at. The parks typically open at 8:00, so early entry starts at 7:30. You will want to be lined up from the Grand Californian at the Downtown Disney security entrance around 6:30. There are typically not dedicated park entry lines into Disneyland for just early entry, but you will be directed to the right inside the park towards Tomorrowland. Only Tomorrowland and Fantasyland are open during early entry. Most people here recommend heading towards Fantasyland, which consists of mostly non-Genie+ attractions. I highly recommend spending your early entry at DL, as there's simply more to do there. You also would have the opportunity to head towards Rise of the Resistance or Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway at park open, both are Individual Lightning Lane attractions. Park hopping will be allowed by September beginning at 11:00 am. The parks are literally 3 minutes apart from each other and very easy to go back and forth, and you can book LL for the other park after the hopping time. You also will need to keep your eye on the entertainment schedule and park hours, which are released about 6 weeks out. During September, Oogie Boogie Bash will have started on several nights per week, which is Disneyland's equivalent to Mickey's Not So Scary. OBB takes place at California Adventure and closes that park early several nights per week, and also severely impacts crowd flow and patterns. If there's an OBB on the day you attend, then Disneyland will be packed that night.
3) No, you cannot get through both parks in one day using Genie+ as a first time visitor. You could decide to hit only highlights in each park, but I'd advise against that for a first time one day only visit. My first recommendation is to spend at least 2 days at Disneyland Resort with park hoppers. If that's not possible and you only have one day, I recommend spending it only at Disneyland. It's the original park, it has so much to do, and there are a lot of unique attractions there. I recommend looking through a list of attractions at DL so you get a sense of what there is to see, and keep in mind that even some of the "same" rides at DL compared to WDW are very different. For example, Pirates is far longer and more elaborate at DL. Also, when you go in September, it's likely that Haunted Mansion will be Haunted Mansion Holiday, which is a totally unique experience. If you must go to DCA, then make sure you plan what rides are your highest priority there. I would recommend Radiator Springs Racers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Webslingers at DCA.
4) If you stay until Disneyland closes, which is typically midnight on weekends, then you probably would only need 1 hour to get to LAX. Keep in mind Disneyland is typically open 8:00 am - Midnight on weekends year round, with the 7:30 am early entry every day for on site guests. If nighttime entertainment is important to you, Saturday will offer an opportunity for fireworks, but Monday in September might not. Wind often cancels fireworks at DL at the last minute. World of Color at California Adventure takes place nightly year round, with the caveat about the park closing early to day guests for OBB.

Last edited:
The PP has provided a very thorough response. But, I'll offer the perspective of a WDW "regular" who did her first DL experience as a single day, flying back to the southeast on a redeye the same night...this is not a great way to experience DL. Even making good use of G+ (was fastpass at the time for me), there's just no way to do both parks in a single day and get a full experience, especially on a day you are needing to get to LAX to fly out. Though the parks are smaller than WDW parks, there is a LOT packed into them, quite a bit of which is not found in WDW or is significantly different from what is in WDW. I would recommend at least 2 days to do them justice. If one day, departure day, is all you have and you really want to go, I would choose one park to focus on.

The PP has provided a very thorough response. But, I'll offer the perspective of a WDW "regular" who did her first DL experience as a single day, flying back to the southeast on a redeye the same night...this is not a great way to experience DL. Even making good use of G+ (was fastpass at the time for me), there's just no way to do both parks in a single day and get a full experience, especially on a day you are needing to get to LAX to fly out. Though the parks are smaller than WDW parks, there is a LOT packed into them, quite a bit of which is not found in WDW or is significantly different from what is in WDW. I would recommend at least 2 days to do them justice. If one day, departure day, is all you have and you really want to go, I would choose one park to focus on.
Excellent response, which effectively captures my opinions as well. I think it's very difficult to comprehend the shear volume of attractions in Disneyland Park until experiencing it yourself. The roster only continues to grow with Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway. The park keeps adding new rides, without eliminating existing ones.

I agree with the above posts, but I’ll throw in an alternate point of view just to give you options.

It definitely very easy to VISIT both parks in one day. They are right next to each other, their gates just steps apart.

I agree it’s not great as a first time visitor to try to do “everything” in just one day. But if you only have one day, I think it can still be beneficial to at least get a look at both parks.

So as one option, you can certainly visit Disneyland Park, walk around to see the sights, and go on a handful of attractions, and then hop over to DCA, walk around to see the sights, and go on a handful of attractions there.

You won’t be able to do everything, and not necessarily even every headliner, but it does allow you to get a taste of both parks.

It just depends on what your touring style is, and how much you value taking in the ambience over getting in as many attractions as possible.

Don't switch from Saturday to Monday. A couple of pass levels are blocked on the Saturdays in September which helps with crowds and for some reason Mondays always seem like the most crowded days at DLR.

No way you can get through both parks in a day-- but if that is all the time you have, then make the best of it and hit the highlights. Imagine trying to do both Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios in one day with some extra rides and shows thrown in on top of the 2 parks. You will be surprised at how much DLR packs in within a small space. Using Genie +, only CS food, and moving very quickly as opposed to slowing down and enjoying the atmosphere you can probably get a bunch of things done and the 2nd week of September will hopefully be a lower crowd time which will help.

Getting to LAX from DLR can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 1/2 hours depending on traffic. If you stayed until Disneyland closing at mignight and headed that way- I would think it would be closer to the 45 minute end. I would think the traffic earlier on a Saturday evenings wouldn't be that bad either, but others that have driven it in that time period would have a better idea.

Awesome info all. Gave me a great baseline to consider. Really do appreciate the answers! I think I will stick with Sat and take the night at the DVC hotel. LAX won't be a factor that day and staying late will be easy with staying next door

Also there are some great posts here that compare rides between WDW and DL. Use these to prioritize. If you have been to WDW and done the Star Wars rides they are EXACT duplicates so you can skip that whole section of the park. TSMM is a clone too so no need to prioritize that, etc.

You probably know this from WDW, but if you're going to the parks on your check-in day, you can still take advantage of Early Entry... of course, that requires getting there EARLY to drop off your bags, etc. You'd probably want to be at the GCH by 625 at the latest to drop off your bags and be in line for bag check at 645.

It all depends on your preferences, but as others have said, doing everything or even most things in both parks is impossible in 1 day even with G+. You can't even really "finish" Disneyland itself in one day. If you're a WDW vet though, it is probably possible to do the headliner DLR-only attractions in one day:

Do Fantasyland with EE and get the unique DLR rides - Alice, Mr Toad, Snow white, storybook boats. Can skip Peter Pan to save a lot of time.
Would grab Space or Indy as your first G+, then standby the other early. Pirates and HM are worth doing the DL versions, especially Pirates. Matterhorn you could do Single Rider or G+, then I'd start stacking G+ for the afternoon in DCA.
You should be able to get G+ for Guardians and Webslingers, and you can buy ILL for Radiator Springs. Stack that up in the afternoon, spend some time in Cars land and Avengers Campus when you're there. Hit Incredicoaster via standby at some point and check out Pixar Pier.
Then i'd head back to Disneyland to absorb DL at night and do whatever else you like.

Something like that would be doable in a single day and get most of the DLR only experiences. But doing everything in 1 day is not possible at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter