Bothered by the fog horn?

FWRR3

Engineer for "The Little FWRR"
I've never seen this discussed. Are people in the front of the ship bothered by the fog horn in times of fog? Wondering if you can hear in the forward cabins. Recently on the Magic around midnight in the delta of the Mississippi, it was quite foggy and the fog horn is quite loud at the front if the ship. It was interesting hearing other ships in the distance.

I"ve been on a few cruise where we had intense fog. I always have cabins in the aft of the ship and never heard them if they were used.

We were slightly forward of midship on the Wonder in Alaska and were unable to hear the foghorn from our room. I went on deck four and was able to hear it then. I actually went running that morning and it was pretty cool with the fog and the horn and the rocking of the ship. It's a good memory I'll never forget, actually.

Fog sound signals are essential maritime safety signals that allow vessels in the vicinity to determine the type, status, and location of other vessels during reduced visibility conditions, reducing the risk of collisions.

We were just on the Dream Northern Europe/Norwegian Fjords cruise and we had one night that was super spooky foggy. We were aft and loved hearing the fog horn. We only heard it when our veranda door was open though. We left the door open for a long time so we could hear it. I wonder if it was louder in forward cabins?

I can't compare to hearing it aft, but I can definitely say it's louder than I would have liked forward. It's not deafening, but it's not "nothing" either. You can hear it, doors open or closed. I think I eventually fell asleep with it going all night, but it was something to have to try and ignore for sure. I'd say if you're a light sleeper it will wake you up as well.

Forward cabin on the Wonder in Alaska. Fog. Foghorn. 5am. I am such a light sleeper. Woke me up, kept me up. The rest of my party loved hearing it. In retrospect, it was all right. But it definitely woke me up.

Was also forward on a Norwegian and had the fog horn going late at night.... it did keep me up a bit but I eventually fell asleep. My husband wears earplugs and couldn't care less... it was neat enough that I wasn't THAT mad about it, but I was glad it was not a nightly occurrence. You know you... if you're the sort bothered by noises then yes, you'll hear it more forward.

We were just on the Dream Northern Europe/Norwegian Fjords cruise and we had one night that was super spooky foggy. We were aft and loved hearing the fog horn. We only heard it when our veranda door was open though. We left the door open for a long time so we could hear it. I wonder if it was louder in forward cabins?
I was in a forward cabin on that cruise. I could hear the fog horn if I really focused on it, but it didn’t keep me awake, and was kind of soothing at night.

If foghorns and lifeboat safety drills bother you, maybe a cruise is not the vacation for you.

-Paul
I didn’t read the question as, “how can I make the ship stop a vital safety procedure?” I read it as, “if I’m a light sleeper on a route prone to fog, should I pick an aft cabin?” Which is a very valid question for a vacation!

-7 years as a surface warfare officer, including 2 deployments and a tour as a navigator, am very familiar with fog signals of one prolonged blast at intervals not to exceed two minutes, will most definitely sleep through it personally but would pick an aft cabin if I thought it would wake us up!

I finally got to hear it on the Alaska itinerary for glacier day. OMG trying to stay in line on that deck for characters pictures was a challenge without ear plugs. At least I got through Mickey and Minnie before that horn went off.

I could hear it from our veranda on the Dream 10640 which is just forward of the aft stairs on the starboard side. I could not hear it at all inside with the veranda door closed.

We have done room 10500 on Dream and Fantasy multiple times which is next to bridge forward and never really had an issue with the horn.

Caribbean sailings don't usually need the foghorn too much. We did the Iceland cruise this summer on the Dream and there were a few nights where it was really loud. We were staying in the forward of the ship in a concierge room. Once we fell asleep it wasn't so bad and didn't wake us up, but it did make it harder to drift off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter