• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

boudin bakery questions

DLfan4

Cant wait for another trip to DLR
is the Boudin bakery tour free? and what is the free sample you get ? is it a whole bread bowl ?

i have heard people say they like to eat at the "Boudin Bakery" ? is that the same as the Pacific Wharf Cafe? or is there a seperate counter service called Boudin Bakery? if so, what do they serve?

can you also just purchase bread bowls? do they still have character shaped ones ( mater, mickey)? if so, where do you go to purchase these. thanks.

The Boudin Bakery tour is included with park admission. You get a small slice of sourdough baguette as your free sample. The Pacific Wharf Cafe features the famous Boudin Bakery bread.

You can purchase just bread if you would like. They usually feature several shapes including Mater and Mickey. We have seen some others such as Captain America's shield and holiday themed loaves such as turkey shape for Thanksgiving. They don't sell the bread bowl size separately but you can get the loaf that is equivalent in size to the slightly larger loaves they use to make the salad bowls. I think they also have an oblong loaf and baguettes for sale.

If you would like to order the soup bread bowl, you can have the soup served in a cup on the side so that you can enjoy your bread without having it soaked by the soup.

The cafe is separate. It's a counter service restaurant.

That being said, there's something about the bread when it's made in the Bay Area. We've got Boudin and Boudin SF locations around here that have a full menu. We're spoiled.

It's free. It's a bit of stretch to call it a "tour." It's walk-through display to see the bakery making bread the sell at the CS restaurant in a separate facade of the same building. Everything is nicely laid out in progressive order. And you get a piece of bread. If I had to guess from memory, it may be 30-40 feet from start to finish.

If you aren't familiar with Boudin, they have a long history in San Fransisco's Fisherman's Wharf, so they tie in nicely with the California/Pacific Wharf theme, but I'm sure they pay for the placement.

It's free. It's a bit of stretch to call it a "tour." It's walk-through display to see the bakery making bread the sell at the CS restaurant in a separate facade of the same building. Everything is nicely laid out in progressive order. And you get a piece of bread. If I had to guess from memory, it may be 30-40 feet from start to finish.

If you aren't familiar with Boudin, they have a long history in San Fransisco's Fisherman's Wharf, so they tie in nicely with the California/Pacific Wharf theme, but I'm sure they pay for the placement.

It might be something that is mutually beneficial. It might be as valuable to Disney as it is to Boudin.

We've actually lost a lot of the well known sourdough brands in the Bay Area, and Boudin is left. There was the San Francisco French Bread Company that made the brands Parisian, Columbo, and Toscana. Interstate Baking (Hostess and Wonder) kind of ran them into the ground. Some of these brands seem to have made a revival.

That being said, anyone making a trip to the San Francisco Bay Area wanting great sourdough - there's Acme Bread. They're based in Berkeley, but the also have a retail location and bakery at the Ferry Building in San Francisco.

Okay, this thread made me go to the Boudin website and apparently you can get subscriptions for bread.

OH. MY. GOSH.

There's no way I'm not signing up for a few months of sourdough when I get home tonight!

Bread and cheese are my vices.

Okay, this thread made me go to the Boudin website and apparently you can get subscriptions for bread.

OH. MY. GOSH.

There's no way I'm not signing up for a few months of sourdough when I get home tonight!

Bread and cheese are my vices.

That's dangerously tempting.

My favorite is the turtle bread. lol I love going to Boudin, the bread is the BEST! I should mention the turtle is not available in the parks. :) There will be a stand outside the bakery that has loaves for sale, we always brought home a Mickey loaf and would have it a couple days after we got back, it just made us happy to eat it after our trip. lol I like having the salad in the bread bowl but there's no way I can eat it all, I've had the salad on the side and then just snacked on bread all day long....lol

Oh, I know, but I'll take what I can get!

Sure. I think Boudin has a main bakery in San Francisco, although some of the locations receive already formed dough to bake onsite so the bread can be fresh. The one in Fishermans Wharf isn't even their big production bakery. They have a big window and line up bread baked like koalas, crabs, alligators, etc.

Anyone know if their DCA bakery supplies the rest of Southern California? I would think there's enough need that it might just supply Disneyland. They must have another one in Southern California.

I grew up with sourdough, although the San Francisco French Bread Company dominated the local market; I'd occasionally get Boudin when I worked part time in San Francisco. I'd see the Columbo delivery truck at a supermarket and I could smell the bread. As a grad student with a limited meal budget, I'd just buy a loaf, and I got a feel for the delivery schedule. It was still warm. I would also drive by their main bakery in Oakland which is right by the freeway near the Oakland Coliseum. The smell is unavoidable, but in a good way.

Anyone know if their DCA bakery supplies the rest of Southern California? I would think there's enough need that it might just supply Disneyland. They must have another one in Southern California.

I highly doubt it. It may not even supply all they use in DCA. That's much more affordable real estate space for large-scale baking than in the park.

They recently re-did the "tour." They took out the video screens in the bakery but you can still see them baking the bread. They widened the aisle and added tables so you can eat and watch the bread at the same time.

I highly doubt it. It may not even supply all they use in DCA. That's much more affordable real estate space for large-scale baking than in the park.

I got curious, and it looks like if they have any production in Southern California, it could be in Irvine. I saw job listings for bakers and delivery drivers. However, I'd think that perhaps they might do something like prepare and ferment the dough in San Francisco, then deliver it daily to Southern California to be formed and baked.

http://www.snagajob.com/job-seeker/jobs/job-details.aspx?postingid=23493390

I went to the Boudin Bakery and their restaurant at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco and loved their bread. At their restaurant we also had the sourdough pizza, I wish they would serve that in DCA it was really good!

I went to the Boudin Bakery and their restaurant at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco and loved their bread. At their restaurant we also had the sourdough pizza, I wish they would serve that in DCA it was really good!

Sourdough pizza sounds delicious!

Sourdough pizza sounds delicious!

Had the day off from work today and it's just dad and child in Marin County. There a Boudin SF here. Got a kids cheese pizza with milk and a cookie, with clam chowder in a beard bowl with a half ham and brie sandwich. All totaled it was a bit over $15 including tax. One heck of a deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter