Bought march 2023 says I owe 2022 dues by may this year?

qwerty2k

Mouseketeer
Hey,

I’m a new member who bought grand Floridian march 7th this year with an august use year.

Im almost certain they said when I bought that 2022 points were ‘free’ and we didn’t have to pay the dues? I just got an email with a subject of: Your 2023 Annual Dues Statement is now available online

However the email body says: Your 2022 Annual Dues Statement is now available online. Please log in to the Disney Vacation Club website to view

When I login it says I owe $904 by may 1st.

Just a bit confused as I could have sworn they said I wouldn’t pay dues on 2022 points? Or is this payment for 2023 points? It looks prorated as it isn’t the full amount I would expect for a full year of dues?

Last edited:
Hey,

I’m a new member who bought grand Floridian march 7th this year with an august use year.

Im almost certain they said when I bought that 2022 points were ‘free’ and we didn’t have to pay the dues? I just got an email with a subject of: Your 2023 Annual Dues Statement is now available online

However the email body says: Your 2022 Annual Dues Statement is now available online. Please log in to the Disney Vacation Club website to view

Just a bit confused as I could have sworn they said I wouldn’t pay dues on 2022 points? Or is this payment for 2023 points? It looks prorated as it isn’t the full amount I would expect for a full year of dues?
You should not be paying for 2022 dues. The 904 should be for your 2023 points which will be coming to you in August. Dues are assessed at the start of the calendar year, not your use year.

Days from January 1st to March 7th = 65.

300/365= .82

904/.82 = the amount of dues you would normally have paid for this year is 1102.4. However, since you didn’t purchase your contract until March 7th that’s why you’re only paying 904.

1102.4/7.33 (VGF’s current dues per point) = 150 or so. I assume your contract is for 150 points.

The 904 is for your points that are coming in August 2023 and you received the 2022 points for free.

You should not be paying for 2022 dues. The 904 should be for your 2023 points which will be coming to you in August. Dues are assessed at the start of the calendar year, not your use year.

Days from January 1st to March 7th = 65.

300/365= .82

904/.82 = the amount of dues you would normally have paid for this year is 1102.4. However, since you didn’t purchase your contract until March 7th that’s why you’re only paying 904.

1102.4/7.33 (VGF’s current dues per point) = 150 or so. I assume your contract is for 150 points.

The 904 is for your points that are coming in August 2023 and you received the 2022 points for free.
That makes sense thank you so much. Guess it’s just a typo in their email saying it’s for 2022.

That makes sense thank you so much. Guess it’s just a typo in their email saying it’s for 2022.
By the way, if it's your first time paying dues, consider paying with a Disney gift card from Target or Sam's Club. Target offers 5% cash back through their red card even on the Disney gift card. Best Buy also occasionally sells 10% off gift cards. We just kinda stockpile them as the year progresses since we know we're going to be paying a couple thousand to Disney at the beginning of the year.

Hey,

It's correct, the same thing happened to me. I bought @ Riviera last March. 2021 points were included (which is amazing btw). I had to pay pro-rated dues unexpectedly. Dues are paid in January for the calendar year. I'm sure it's worded a certain way to make you think what we both did. You won't pay 2022 dues retroactively but you'll be expected to pay 2023 dues using prorated math for this calendar year. Normal dues start in January 2024 regardless of use year.

It is nice getting essentially double points though! We bought in March of 22 staying at Yacht club on a cash payment. Then went back in May, July, December, March 23 and will be back in June. The double points the first year is awesome and a great way to hook you into not feeling like you have enough points!

It's correct, the same thing happened to me. I bought @ Riviera last March. 2021 points were included (which is amazing btw). I had to pay pro-rated dues unexpectedly. Dues are paid in January for the calendar year. I'm sure it's worded a certain way to make you think what we both did. You won't pay 2022 dues retroactively but you'll be expected to pay 2023 dues using prorated math for this calendar year. Normal dues start in January 2024 regardless of use year.

It is nice getting essentially double points though! We bought in March of 22 staying at Yacht club on a cash payment. Then went back in May, July, December, March 23 and will be back in June. The double points the first year is awesome and a great way to hook you into not feeling like you have enough points!
Oh! BTW, I have the Disney VISA card and charge EVERYTHING to it and pay it off each month. I'm sure there are better options for cash back but I can tell you I love having it for my annual dues. Last year I covered 80% of my dues with just the Disney cash on my card. It's like having a savings account for annual dues.

Check the bill but sounds like it’s a typo in the email that someone didn’t do a good job in updating.

By the way, if it's your first time paying dues, consider paying with a Disney gift card from Target or Sam's Club. Target offers 5% cash back through their red card even on the Disney gift card. Best Buy also occasionally sells 10% off gift cards. We just kinda stockpile them as the year progresses since we know we're going to be paying a couple thousand to Disney at the beginning of the year.

And if you are in an area where there is a Kroger, on their rewards program. Once a month (varies by month), they have a 4x fuel points on gift cards. Purchase a $250 gift card, get 1000 points or $1.00 off your next gas purchase (up to 35 gal). I take a couple of 5 gal cans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter