Boy in ladies room

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never understood the big deal about boys in the ladies room. It’s not like we are walking around nude or anything. All of our business is done behind closed and locked doors. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Exactly! The only issue I ever had was with a little girl (maybe 3 or 4) that looked under my stall to say hello to me. It was mortifying at the moment -- for me and her Mom, who quickly told her "NO! We don't do that!!"

I’ve never understood the big deal about boys in the ladies room. It’s not like we are walking around nude or anything. All of our business is done behind closed and locked doors. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Me either. Men’s restrooms with urinals, on the other hand... I am hoping most places will move to enclosed urinals or privacy screens for walls with urinals. Dad’s sometimes need to take their little girls to the restrooms, too!!

At around age 7-8ish is when I think I'd probably start to wonder if there's something going on (maybe just an overly protective parent or developmentally delayed young person), but anywhere before or around that age I wouldn't think twice about and just do my business. As long as they're being supervised and not peering under or into stalls, there's no biggie.

Last edited:

People will start posting how they bring older and older kids into women's bathrooms (we already have an eight-year-old and a nine-year-old in this thread...soon it will hit the early teens.

I don’t really see a problem with bringing my nine year old into the ladies restroom when I’m a single mom attending the park alone with him. I don’t see the jump to teens there... Nine is quite different than thirteen in terms of maturity. You wouldn’t leave a nine year old home alone right? But a thirteen you would. But even so it’s rare we do it anymore, I stand by the entrance of the men’s room and he’s been instructed to let out a yell if there’s an issue so mom can come bring the rumble. 😂

The reason for my paranoia is the local Walmart in my town had an incident of a 60 year old man inappropriately touching a ten year old boy in the men’s room. The mom was standing right outside. It just shook me up.

It really is a safety precaution in 99% of cases. Not some weird thing.

I’d also add I’m more worried about us getting separated from each other when we both use different restrooms. At least when it’s crowded. Now that my kiddos older and more familiar with the park, it’s easier. But his first visit when we both didn’t know the park, it was more worrisome. So that’d be another reason I’d take him in with me then.

Me either. Men’s restrooms with urinals, on the other hand... I am hoping most places will move to enclosed urinals or privacy screens for walls with urinals. Dad’s sometimes need to take their little girls to the restrooms, too!!

Dude, Disney has 10000 family bathrooms

My boys are 9 and 11. I let them go in the men's room together without an adult. I feel like they look out for each other. I think my 11 year old can go in alone and handle himself fine. If it is just me and the 9 year old then I make him come with me. Usually at the Disney parks my husband and my father are there so the kids don't ever really go in without an adult. I have definitely heard first hand more than one story about kids being sexually assaulted in a bathroom (I'm a counselor), so I might be more leery than most.
.....and I agree with everyone who says if the kids aren't looking into the stalls then who cares anyway. I barely even notice who's in the bathroom with me, especially if it is crowded.

I think as old as a Mother feels is necessary. If your son in the restroom with you I would assume you felt he needs to be there and wouldn’t think anymore of it. As a previous poster said, it’s not like we’re running around nude. I guess I feel when it comes to keeping our kids safe we need to do whatever we feel is right. Most women in there are Mothers and understand. Isn’t it kind of funny the things we worry about 😆....hope you have a wonderful trip.

That is kind of a strange reply. At least the last sentence is.

Not strange.

My son would have gone all day without peeing etc if I’d made him go in with me after 7 or 8. He’s also quite tall so he’s always confused people as to his age. Remembering the time I brought him to Disneyland kids center at 3. He was too tall for the kid toilets there...

For the time that I could bring him in he would stand with his face to my stall door so he didn’t look around and so I could see his feet. He got very tired of that very fast. He *hated* being in the ladies room. Hated it passionately.

Disney bathrooms are so busy. The majority of the people on them are parents or uncles/aunts grands etc, and will look out for anything weird. I have gotten confirmation from many guys that while they don’t look around much while at urinals, they still pay attention. If something hinky was happening with a kid, they’d notice and step in.

As my son insisted on the men’s room, I insisted he use the stalls for awhile. This wasn’t a problem since despite his height the urinals were still a bit of a stretch lol.

He was also in martial arts and was very good at the “NO!!!” part of class. I once walked up behind him too quietly at home, startled him, he turned and he used an aikido move on me that took me to the floor. I think he was 7 at the time.

The whole combo got him into public bathrooms more on his independent timeline than on mine.

At around age 7-8ish is when I think I'd probably start to wonder if there's something going on (maybe just an overly protective parent or developmentally delayed young person), but anywhere before or around that age I wouldn't think twice about and just do my business. As long as they're being supervised and not peering under or into stalls, there's no biggie.

I guess I'd then ask you what you would think of a 7 or 8 year old walking or sitting around a store, mall, theme park, etc. unsupervised. Because if a mother out with her child needs to use a restroom, and her son is 7 or 8, where else will he go if she doesn't take him in the rest room with her? Most places of business (including Disney) do not want children that young left unattended.

In a perfect world, a convenient, clean, and available family rest room is nearby, but life doesn't always work that way, and even grown-ups can have emergency needs for bathrooms---for many different reasons. :) (Of course, not all moms and sons would be comfortable together in the family restroom, either, so there's that. Privacy needs and wants vary greatly from one family to another.)

Last edited:
The toilet convo made me think about what age can a boy go in the ladies room?
What age would you think was weird?

DH can take him or I can probably use a companion restroom at DLR. But if I can’t find one and there’s an immediate need...

my kid is 5 with mild delays. Can toilet at home but often very slow. May get distracted alone in the men’s room. 🤷‍♀️
There's no way I'd let my 5 year old use a public bathroom at a busy place alone. I took mine with me when they were 5. Honestly it wouldn't bother me at all to have boys really of almost any age in the female bathroom- there are stalls.

@smartlabelprint : As you posted, the Companion/Family Restrooms are always an option (and will give you more space and privacy anyway). If those are not available or close by, you can always go right to First Aid in either park. There are Companion Restrooms available there. Just tell the CMs that your son has an urgent need -- they'll be glad to help you.

I don't get the weirdness with different genders in a bathroom with stalls, no matter what their age. The only thing that makes me glad to have a women's restroom is that I know there will be a lot less urine on the seat and floor:rolleyes: Definitely bring your 5 year old in.

That is kind of a strange reply. At least the last sentence is. I agree with age 5 not being too old to use the women's restrooms. He's still so young.

I didn’t read all the replies, but she’s telling the OP to walk away from the thread because this question has started so much drama in the past! This question was asked several years ago on the WDW section and I still remember it! Mods had to lock it!!!!’ 😂😂😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter