Boycotting the Oscars

I think my biggest complaint is the lack of making interracial relationships normal. The majority of the time, most interracial relationships have some "issue" or people are always commenting on their relationship.

That. Definitely that.

Their preferred color is green.

Ok, but assuming movies with white actors are more financially successful, why is that so? Even if whites go to the movies more, why aren't whites going to movies with lots of non-white actors? Is it an identification issue? Meaning whites have a hard time relating to non-white actors?

I think therein lies the problem. Why do we think people are "different" and unrelatable because their skin color or the texture of their hair or the shape of their eyes is different? Do we think it is a good idea to think that way? I, for one, do not.

We can point fingers at the studios and their economic drivers, but at the end of the day it comes back to all of us. I think we all have to look inside and examine our own beliefs, assumptions and biases. If we collectively act differently, the studios will respond.

Ok, but assuming movies with white actors are more financially successful, why is that so? Even if whites go to the movies more, why aren't whites going to movies with lots of non-white actors? Is it an identification issue? Meaning whites have a hard time relating to non-white actors?

I think therein lies the problem. Why do we think people are "different" and unrelatable because their skin color or the texture of their hair or the shape of their eyes is different? Do we think it is a good idea to think that way? I, for one, do not.

We can point fingers at the studios and their economic drivers, but at the end of the day it comes back to all of us. I think we all have to look inside and examine our own beliefs, assumptions and biases. If we collectively act differently, the studios will respond.

But aren't we allowed to have movies we like?

I don't think it is as simple as saying one is basing their movie choice on skin color.

I don't go to the movies much so when I do, I go when I feel it warrants the expense when I do. Same for my husband. For him, those movies are where the mega crazy huge sound system is important (usually the super hero/sci fi flicks).

For me, I like watching films based on history or spy/thriller type movies if I can make it to the movies.

Is it really an issue that I dont want to spend my ticket money on other films?

We otherwise use redbox and Netflix.

I did want to see Concussion in the theater. But with an infant and timing, I could not make it. I do plan to catch it on Redbox. The last movie I did see was the Christmas one with Marissa Tomei (it was meh). The last movie I wanted to see before that (but couldn't) was Bridge of Spies.

But -- take the Romantic Comedy. I love that type of film because it follows a typically predictable formula with (usually) a happy conclusion.

There are people that HATE this format.

So if a RomCom comes out and it is a mixed race or all minority cast, what are the odds that the person who hates RomComs will see it? What are the odds that it will be insinuated it is due to racism that they decided to not watch the movie?

I really don't like the super hero/marvel comic/sci fi type movies. Last one I saw was Captain America. I was so bored. Not my genre. No matter what they do, I don't relate to the film.

Another common complaint is lack of original movies. It seems they make a lot of remakes and sequels. That isn't Oscar worthy usually.

On a different note, I loved the Wiz. I certainly expect some Emmy nominations for the cast and hope the powers that be deliver.

Last edited:

I go to the movies to be entertained. I like, what I like. I don't want to examine my own beliefs over a movie.

Please do not assume that just because someone is Caucasian that the reason that they don't spend all of their movie dollars on seeing films with a lot of non-Caucasians in it is because they have a hard time relating to non-white actors.

I will use myself as an example. I am a Caucasian female. Like lots of people (REGARDLESS OF SKIN COLOR), our family lives on a budget and money doesn't grow on trees, so we don't go out to the movies every weekend. When we do, it's a treat. When we all see a movie together as a family (me, DH, 2 kids), we go to see family-oriented movies - LOTS of Disney and Pixar animated movies. You want to talk about skin color? Look at Inside Out. Lol. None of those characters are white. :rotfl2:

When it's just DH & I going to the movies, there are certain movies that we will tend to go see...action movies, sci fi, comedies, or romantic comedies. My DH really doesn't like any of the movies that clearly have a "message" or "purpose" or cause that the movie studio is trying to push. He's not into activism-type of films. And he really can't stand artsy films, either. The only foreign film that he's really enjoyed was "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." But you know what? That movie didn't have any African American actors in it.

WHY? Because it was made in China and it was marketed toward Chinese audiences. Then it was released in the US with English subtitles. The whole movie was spoken in Chinese...even the US release of it.

I choose which movies I go see purely based on the sneak previews/trailers. I don't go based on movie reviews at all. I want to make up my own mind...not go see it because some movie reporter somewhere thought it was good. I've seen plenty of big budget action movies, tons of sci fi movies (and if you want to talk about diversity in TV and movies - look at the original Star Trek & read up about what Martin Luther King, Jr told the actress who played Lieutenant Ohura when the TV show first got started), and many other types of movies. I don't base my movie-going decisions based on the movie having a certain % of black or brown-skinned actors/actresses. Race is not even a factor in our family's movie-going decisions. We don't CARE what the skin color of the actors are.

And you know what? IT'S JUST A MOVIE! IT'S A BUNCH OF PEOPLE PLAYING MAKE-BELIEVE!

Even if whites go to the movies more, why aren't whites going to movies with lots of non-white actors?

When we saw Straight Outta Compton, the theater was packed and there were maybe a handful of black people. People go see good movies that entertain. Period. Compton made a buttload of money and I'm willing to guess the majority of the dollars came from white movie-goers. White people like to go to the movies. It's that simple. Make a great movie, they will go see it. The conspiracy in that the movie-goers are the problem is not real.

I'll admit, I really can't relate to a typical Spike Lee film. Same for many other movies that seem to be marketed toward a black audience.

On the flip side, it honestly doesn't even register that a movie like "Ride Along" is going to feature primarily black actors, nor do I pay any attention to that fact during the movie.

So I would say in my case, it just depends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter