• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Braces :X

I go to the orthodonist on Monday, and my mom is requesting my braces be taken off. This wouldn't be such a big deal, but i've had them for 6 years, and had them taken off and put back on.(for NO reason!) :sad2: my teeth are perfectly straight and have been for the last year I've had them. My denist won't tell me exactly why I still have them on. Do u think it's right to request them to be taken off? Thanks!!
-Hannah

I too have braces
...funnily enough they have been on a year today :]

when i first got them, i was ready to get a pair of pliers and tug them out, they we're causing me a fair bit of pain, to be honest, i think most of it was in my mind,
but i kept ontop of the paracetamol and whatnot to keep the pain away

you'll find that for the first couple of days you can't eat solids as its a bit sore, but i had soup :] but i couldnt stand eating that with a metal spoon so i sucked it through a metre long straw :L

i havent really had any trouble with mine

you have to keep them clean so plaque doesnt build up, otherwise if your orthodontist notices you dont take care of your brace, he/she will take them out

i found my teeth straightened up nicely after the first few months, a big improvement, and over the year they have got better and better, in actual fact, they are near enough straight now, ive got to wait for my gap to close, and my overbite to go back to normal as i had an overbite of 7mm and had to have them elastics from top to bottom jaw (i only have to wear them at night times now (y))

Most say dont have fizzy drinks, i have fizzy drinks, and i really clean my teeth afterwards as all i really drink is diet lemonade, so if you drink fizzy, make sure you clean them properly so they dont rot,
also, about chewing gum/bubble gum.
I had my first piece of chewing gum in a year about 3 weeks ago, my mum finally gave in as i wouldnt shut up and told me it was my fault if anything happened to them which i fully understood etc. and i had more than one piece and it was absolutely fine, however some at my school have chewed bubble gum and you can see the colours all stuck in their brace, so some it affects others more

at the end of the day, there really is no pain apart from the beginning, the ulcers and occasionally when the wire is changed, you'll be pleased with the outcome :]

I got my braces about a year ago, and lucky for me, my teeth move pretty fast.

At first, they do hurt, but you'll get used to it. I got rubberbands about 2 months ago, and my dentist said I didn't have to wear them anymore about a week or two ago. Funny enough, my dentist said I could chew sugar-free gum to speed up the process of the rubber bands.

I was kinda bad, I had Hot Tamalies (because I couldn't put them down, I love those things:)) and gum to this day. At first, I was sticking to the rules, no sticky anything, but then I gave up. I eat popcorn, and everything you weren't supposed to have.

All in all, you'll be ok. It's really not all that bad.:goodvibes

I loved having braces. I looked good with them... now my teeth look awkward and too clean D: haha. is that possible? they're not bad. and life is not limited. the sticky stuff will be a pain to get out, don't like rip food off of something, like corn on the cob, the knife will be your best friend.

otherthanthat... <3

How do they feel?
Fine, unless you just got them tightened. Try to avoid using wax. That way your lips will get used to the friction.

How long do they have to stay on?
Mine were on for two years

Are there foods you can't eat?
The orthodontist told me not to eat apples or chew gum, but I did anyway :)

Any other limitations or things in life you have to stop because of the braces?
Not really, they are just kind of there. If you get rubber bands be sure to wear them, or else the braces will need to stay in longer

I have braces at the moment,I hate them.

The first 2 weeks you feel like you have something in your mouth that you want to swallow. Then you start to grow to them.I had them for 2 years,and hopefully I'm getting them off next year. It's hard to close your mouth with them,and you have to be careful you don't break any of the wires and stuff,or you would have to get them fixed,and trust me it's no fun. I broke like 3 things,and I had them fixed the same day,my mouth hurt like forever ):. You probably would have to get your braces fixed every "so" months,it's no fun cause your mouth hurts like crazy. They tell you to brush your teeth 3 times a day,but how can you when you have school? My suggestion is buy these things called "Wisp",I use them in school when I'm at lunch,no toothpaste required :-)

There's some items you can't eat:
- Gum
- Lollipops (Hard Candy)
- Apples,Pears
- Chewy Food or Candy (Airheads)
- Crunchy Chips (Doritos)

I still chew gum and eat chips,ha ha I'm bad.

They also make you wear rubber bands in your mouth,I haven't recently since I've ran out,and I only wear them at night.

Haha I'm bad... I eat all of that stuff.
I eat hard candy and chewy candy all the time.
I never even considered giving up corn chips, never.
Gum is fine if it's sugar free because it won't stick, it actually helps clean your teeth.

I loved having braces. I looked good with them... now my teeth look awkward and too clean D: haha. is that possible? they're not bad. and life is not limited. the sticky stuff will be a pain to get out, don't like rip food off of something, like corn on the cob, the knife will be your best friend.

otherthanthat... <3

Totally off topic but..... I love your signature. :lovestruc

I have had them before I had them on for about 9 months I was really lucky my sister has had them for about 5 years so the amount of time you can have the on varies. Depending on who you talk to your going to get different ideas of pain for me they hurt really bad but they dont bother my sister. as for what you can and can't eat stay away from gum or anything really sticky like that you can eat apples and pears but it's sometimes easier to peal the skin off. I was told I couldn't eat popcorn but ate it like everyday of the week. Here are 2 very important tips. DON'T BREAK THEM!!! The more they break the longer they take to come off I broke mine I think only once but my friends break them to get out of class and go home and they have been stuck with them since 4th grade and they are now in 10th grade. Secondly when they come off where that retainer cause if you don't they go back to where they were and you get braces again. Hope I helped.

My braces were so awkward when I first got them, plus they were painful! I couldn't chew without that pain! After 3 days, I got used to them. I don't even feel them anymore. My orthodontist says to avoid chewy foods like taffy or starburst, but I think popcorn is a pain as they always get stuck in my braces.

Blegh, braces for me are the worst. The wax did nothing for me, but you will get used to it. It felt so uncomfortable at first but then it was all fine. Now they are making me wear these rubber bands I have to attach to my teeth. I haven't been wearing them as much as I should but than they yelled at me for not wearing them often. So now I HAVE TO. >.< haha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter