Branson discounts? Things to do?

missnic

DIS Veteran
So I grew up spending most of my summers in Branson with my grandparents, and they and my parents live there now. I'm going to visit for the first time in many, many years.. lol and my parents don't really do the 'touristy' stuff. Any suggestions on things to do? And any discounts?
I think we already have Silver Dollar City tickets taken care of, and I got tickets to the toy museum on Groupon. Any other suggestions? There seems to be a lot of stuff to do, but it's expensive! Disney/Orlando seems a bargain comparatively! lol

My folks live there. Your parents should be able to get local ticket prices for many shows with their driver's licence--it may help you out.

I highly recommend "Six" an accapella group for a show. They do a little of every type of music. The toy museum is neat, albeit a bit claustrophobic.

A little bit north, in Saddlebrooke is the National Tiger Sanctuary. We loved it. They protect all the confiscated and rescued big cats, not just tigers.

Free or cheap Branson stuff:

Visit Branson Landing in the evening for the fire/water show.
Visit School of the Ozarks (Hard Work U), even if you don't do the museum, they have a beautiful overlook.
Drive 15 minutes south to Big Cedar Lodge--gorgeous!
Visit Table Rock State Park. They have lots to do and evening amphitheater events with park naturalists.
Make sure to visit Marvel Cave which is included in your Silver Dollar City ticket. (It's a lot of stairs!)

Day trips: Laura Ingalls Wilder home in Mansfield, Mo. or the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville, Ark. (it's free!)

Have fun!

Thanks guys. I'll have to ask my parents if they can get local discounts on anything.
We have lodging taken care of, and definitely want to see a cave. I've done Marvel many times, and we ate breakfast at the School almost every day when we were there lol. We might do a timeshare tour if the reward is high enough. Any idea if any of them have sister properties in orlando?

just google branson coupons and you will find ton of things you can print out or pretty much any restaurant/gas station/etc there has pamphlets loaded with coupons for discounts on food, shows, games, etc.
branson is one of those places with so many choices on things to do it's hard to suggest without knowing more about someone's interest.
I would recommend the museum out at the college if you have never done that, the fish hatchery for little kids and some free down time. And depending on how you bought your SDC tickets you might be able to get a discount on White Water or the Showboat Belle.

Check out 1branson.com . The message board/forum there is a really good one.

Springfield MO about an hour north has the Wonders of Wildlife Museum and aquarium (Bass Pro Shops original store) . The Aquarium side is truly spectacular.
What time of year are you going? There are always lots of festivals going on in Branson and Springfield. Springfield Cardinals games in summer too.

I went with my daughter in May this year.

Some of our favorite things were ...
The Promiseland Zoo. Totally loved the VIP tour. It was so fun!

We got to hold a little kangaroo & an screaming armadillo plus others. ( these animals change according to what little ones they have at the time I think). We also did the Sloths which was so neat!

Loved the Samson play at the Sight & Sound theatre. The plays they put on there are wonderful.

We enjoyed the Butterfly Palace also.

Eat at Billy Gail’s. Wow! The blueberry pancakes are awesome as well as everything else there.

Springfield MO about an hour north has the Wonders of Wildlife Museum and aquarium (Bass Pro Shops original store) . The Aquarium side is truly spectacular.
What time of year are you going? There are always lots of festivals going on in Branson and Springfield. Springfield Cardinals games in summer too.

Ooh, thank you for this! I grew up with the original store and didn't realize they put in an aquarium. I LOVE aquariums! I might be able to talk my parents and even grandparents into doing that one lol. The Promiseland zoo looks cool too.

We're going Aug 28-Sept 3, so it's going to be mostly indoor stuff.

Ooh, thank you for this! I grew up with the original store and didn't realize they put in an aquarium. I LOVE aquariums! I might be able to talk my parents and even grandparents into doing that one lol. The Promiseland zoo looks cool too.

We're going Aug 28-Sept 3, so it's going to be mostly indoor stuff.
Don't forget Dolly Pardon Staaaaammmmppeeeeede!

The aquarium will take 3-4 hours to get through-lots and lots of interactive elements including a sting ray petting area.
And if you haven't been back in years you are gonna be shocked at size of the original Bass Pro store.

We might do a timeshare tour if the reward is high enough. Any idea if any of them have sister properties in orlando?
Westgate and Marriott both have timeshares in Branson and orlando but I do NOT ever recommend a timeshare tour! Just no and run far away LOL! TUG (timeshare users group) has tons of posts literally begging for someone to take their timeshare for free-in a few cases will even pay MF and transfer fees for the year. Why spend 3 hours of your life in agony (yes it WILL be 3 hours no matter what) and spend thousands when you can get the same thing for free if you truly want a timeshare?

We were gifted a timeshare many years ago at Lake Ozark-lowest maintenance fees I've ever found, high trade power. We love our timeshare (just got our week traded for France next year in fact!) but it takes due diligence to see what works and good deals.

Westgate and Marriott both have timeshares in Branson and orlando but I do NOT ever recommend a timeshare tour! Just no and run far away LOL! TUG (timeshare users group) has tons of posts literally begging for someone to take their timeshare for free-in a few cases will even pay MF and transfer fees for the year. Why spend 3 hours of your life in agony (yes it WILL be 3 hours no matter what) and spend thousands when you can get the same thing for free if you truly want a timeshare?

We were gifted a timeshare many years ago at Lake Ozark-lowest maintenance fees I've ever found, high trade power. We love our timeshare (just got our week traded for France next year in fact!) but it takes due diligence to see what works and good deals.

Oh, yeah. I have zero inclination to actually purchase, but we might have some down time to fill. lol If I can make some decent cash or get a free hotel stay in Orlando, maaaaaybe.

One of our favorite things was Dogwood Canyon Nature Park. We rented bikes there and also did the tram tour. Very pretty, "enhanced" nature. Easy bike paths.

Also as mentioned above, enjoyed Tiger Sanctuary, Dolly's Stampede, Laura Ingalls home. Also Titanic Museum.

Don't do timeshare tours no matter what.

The Titanic museum is great! I’ve found a Groupon for it before. Wonders of Wildlife in Springfield is good, but often very busy. If you have kids with you, the Discovery Center in Springfield is a great place to go and very affordable. The Springfield zoo is bad...avoid that.

The Landing and the Grand Village Shops are always must do’s for us in Branson. My son loves Grand Country. It’s a little trashy, but good enough. 😂

I was also like Aurora79 going to say that the Titanic museum is really well done and interesting. It is a favorite of ours.

We like Dogwood Canyon (previously recommended too), especially if we are traveling with relatives who rarely go to places like national parks. There is a lovely little shuttle bus tour (about two hours) of the property - chance to get a little history, see animals (they feed wildlife just across the Arkansas border, so wildlife is guaranteed), and great choice for our party last time as some of our relatives had more limited mobility and could really enjoy the place despite that with this. With admission to the park (cost is per person - I think $15), plus the shuttle bus tour (cost is per person - $30), this is pricey, though. It was worth it to me last time, though, as I really wanted to show my New Jersey relatives the beauty of the area, and they loved this. They don't get out in nature very often and were super impressed. http://www.dogwoodcanyon.org/default.aspx

If you want to do some shows, here is a link to a legit place with great discounts (no timeshare tours or anything like that): http://branson2for1tickets.net/ You have to go in person and it's a little out of the way. On our last trip, though, we were able to stop here on our way into town (arrived day time hours and it was on our way) and saved me some dollars. Some super popular shows don't discount, but tons do and with the size of our group, it was well worth the stop. We had bought Oak Ridge boys tickets in advance (bucket list thing for brother-in-law and they just play limited dates). I could have saved money on those too last minute, but didn't take that chance. We stopped here though for tickets to an ABBA tribute show that my sister-in-law picked out that we all really enjoyed and saved a bunch, getting tickets for 1/2 price.

Other shows my son has enjoyed in Branson also are the Haygoods (previous winners of America's Got Talent - quite a few years back) and SIX (also recommended by another poster).

There seems to be a lot of stuff to do, but it's expensive! Disney/Orlando seems a bargain comparatively! lol
I totally get what you are saying here, and although I like Branson I wholeheartedly agree -- two or three $30 things pp in one day makes the world class Orlando theme parks look like a bargain in comparison. With my extended family group when I was paying for everyone, I made sure to make it a relatively short trip last time -- two night stay - show and dinner the first night, Dogwood Canyon and show the second night, and Titanic museum next morning prior to heading back to St. Louis where I live and can entertain at home, take them to the zoo where I have a season pass and the arch where I have a national parks pass for some discounts, have everyone stay at my house, and get by less expensively.

Although not cheap Branson shows are a good value for quality/price if you like that sort of thing. My relatives absolutely loved our mini stay there.

I was also like Aurora79 going to say that the Titanic museum is really well done and interesting. It is a favorite of ours.

We like Dogwood Canyon (previously recommended too), especially if we are traveling with relatives who rarely go to places like national parks. There is a lovely little shuttle bus tour (about two hours) of the property - chance to get a little history, see animals (they feed wildlife just across the Arkansas border, so wildlife is guaranteed), and great choice for our party last time as some of our relatives had more limited mobility and could really enjoy the place despite that with this. With admission to the park (cost is per person - I think $15), plus the shuttle bus tour (cost is per person - $30), this is pricey, though. It was worth it to me last time, though, as I really wanted to show my New Jersey relatives the beauty of the area, and they loved this. They don't get out in nature very often and were super impressed. http://www.dogwoodcanyon.org/default.aspx

If you want to do some shows, here is a link to a legit place with great discounts (no timeshare tours or anything like that): http://branson2for1tickets.net/ You have to go in person and it's a little out of the way. On our last trip, though, we were able to stop here on our way into town (arrived day time hours and it was on our way) and saved me some dollars. Some super popular shows don't discount, but tons do and with the size of our group, it was well worth the stop. We had bought Oak Ridge boys tickets in advance (bucket list thing for brother-in-law and they just play limited dates). I could have saved money on those too last minute, but didn't take that chance. We stopped here though for tickets to an ABBA tribute show that my sister-in-law picked out that we all really enjoyed and saved a bunch, getting tickets for 1/2 price.

Other shows my son has enjoyed in Branson also are the Haygoods (previous winners of America's Got Talent - quite a few years back) and SIX (also recommended by another poster).

I totally get what you are saying here, and although I like Branson I wholeheartedly agree -- two or three $30 things pp in one day makes the world class Orlando theme parks look like a bargain in comparison. With my extended family group when I was paying for everyone, I made sure to make it a relatively short trip last time -- two night stay - show and dinner the first night, Dogwood Canyon and show the second night, and Titanic museum next morning prior to heading back to St. Louis where I live and can entertain at home, take them to the zoo where I have a season pass and the arch where I have a national parks pass for some discounts, have everyone stay at my house, and get by less expensively.

Although not cheap Branson shows are a good value for quality/price if you like that sort of thing. My relatives absolutely loved our mini stay there.

I believe that I actually saw the Haygoods at Silver Dollar City quite a few years ago. Unfortunately, DH and I aren't into country music AT ALL, and don't have much interest in tribute bands. lol That makes it a little harder to find something to do. No kids to keep entertained, so thats a plus.

I've got tickets to the toy museum, we're going to do the aquarium in Springfield, probably the Titanic museum, and SDC if my grandfather can find his complimentary passholder tickets. I visited my folks a couple of years ago and went to SDC and it was kind of a let down from what I remembered. Lots of stuff gone - blacksmith, etc. and of course I compared it to WDW. So, no biggie if we don't go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter