Brazilian tour groups - which resorts?

So I apologize that this question is a little off topic (but related)...but when is the best time for someone to go to a.) go in a slow season AND b.) avoid lots of large tour groups?

I used to like the end of January but when we went last year (2013) we ran into so, so, so many tour groups. I wasn't too upset by behavior other than they just traveled in large groups so that you couldn't get around them and the lines and FP's and even just sidewalks were so congested it made the parks miserable. Overall I'm sure crowd levels were low but we had to leave Epcot one night because we had to pass at least 4 tour groups that had at least 50 people in it each and you'd run into one after the other and you couldn't walk because if a group stopped the whole sidewalk was like a parking lot.

I think your best bet would be to go during the second week of September. I believe that is one of the slowest weeks of the year as schools are back in session. I would also suggest the first 2 weeks of November if you want better weather than September which is still extremely hot and humid.

We went to WDW the last week of July @ 5 years ago, and the tour groups were everywhere! It totally turned us off to ever touring in July again.

I, too, have had my run-ins with these tour groups, but I have to say that I've seen inexcusable behavior from ALL types of groups, regardless of whether or not they speak English. Luckily, the times I have gone and seen these groups in theparks, their behavior seemed much more in control than in years past. It's my understanding that Disney has been employing people who speak foreign languages to assist the chaperones in maintaing some semblance of order. From what I saw, it seemed to work well....

On the other thand, I've seen total buffoons stumbling back to their rooms bombed off their a**** and try to coach their teams the next morning. I had more trouble with them because in my sick twisted mind I assumed they had a basic level of decorum that would have regualted their behavior. Guess not...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that tour groups of all shapes and sizes come to WDW. Instead of getting upset, try going with the flow and quit blaming Disney for their presence. We all have something in common.....we all love WDW!

I, too, have had my run-ins with these tour groups, but I have to say that I've seen inexcusable behavior from ALL types of groups, regardless of whether or not they speak English. Luckily, the times I have gone and seen these groups in theparks, their behavior seemed much more in control than in years past. It's my understanding that Disney has been employing people who speak foreign languages to assist the chaperones in maintaing some semblance of order. From what I saw, it seemed to work well....

On the other thand, I've seen total buffoons stumbling back to their rooms bombed off their a**** and try to coach their teams the next morning. I had more trouble with them because in my sick twisted mind I assumed they had a basic level of decorum that would have regualted their behavior. Guess not...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that tour groups of all shapes and sizes come to WDW. Instead of getting upset, try going with the flow and quit blaming Disney for their presence. We all have something in common.....we all love WDW!

We were there last week and I saw a few groups in the parks. Even saw someone holding a flag as we boarded the plane. I did a double-take at that one. Fortunately, all the groups we saw were well-behaved kids. We were staying at AKL, so none at the resort. I think I'd go berzerk if I had to deal with that behavior at the resort.

And I agree with a PP who said there is lots of bad behavior on display at disney. I saw one drunk man at Epcot (holding a fresh beer), kicking a beach ball, which flew into the lap of a kid in a wheelchair. The child seemed fine and just laughed. But all I could think was how I'd react if that were my child (not well).

I think the pp who said Disney is marketing to Latin America hit the nail right on the head. I have been going to WDW for many years, and in the last 5 years or so, have noticed a major upsurge of people from other countries. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but even the first week of September is much more crowded than it used to be. We went the first week of February last year, and the BTGs were everywhere.

OMG! I'm in trouble! :scared1: My DH cannot, absolutely cannot, tolerate the Brazilians at WDW! We had so, so, so many bad experiences with their horribly rude behavior that he is scarred for life! When I planned this trip (not our usual time, just wanted to get away from the cold), he said, I don't care when we go, but not when "they" are there!

We are going 2/9-2/14/14 & staying at POFQ! From this thread, I think we are in trouble!

We go during Pop Warner week & never have the same problem. We go when many other large groups are there & never have the same problem. If it is a cultural difference, then I'm glad I don't live in that culture!

In the past, when we were walking thru the park & a line of them came towards us, we learned to just stop in our tracks so they had to go around us. Otherwise, there's no way they allowed anyone thru their lines. We had whole families squeeze in front of us when we were standing in lines for attractions, food, etc. No manners what so ever - how does that happen?

Oh well, if we are unlucky this time, I guess next year I'll escape to another part of Florida!

I think your best bet would be to go during the second week of September. I believe that is one of the slowest weeks of the year as schools are back in session. I would also suggest the first 2 weeks of November if you want better weather than September which is still extremely hot and humid.

We went to WDW the last week of July @ 5 years ago, and the tour groups were everywhere! It totally turned us off to ever touring in July again.

Thanks!! My DH and I are really flexible with travel and so figuring out the best time to go to avoid crowds as best we can while also avoiding BTG's these days seems really, really tricky! Suggestions are appreciated!

I've been wanting to try November but they always say September/January are the slowest times to go so the last three of my 4 trips I've done January and/or September. The September trip was so hot and humid and still had what I would consider a medium crowd level. The last trip in January, overall, had a medium crowd level on two days and the two days we ran into the BTGs it was miserable. FPs were out quickly, lines were well over an hour, sidewalks were congested where we couldn't even just walk without being knocked around, it was loud...it really was not fun!! If we went in January again and it was the same I think we wouldn't be going back for awhile and that makes me sad to think about but it just wouldn't be worth it for us. So maybe we'll try November next time!

I leave Saturday. Explained my horrible trip last year. Put in room request and that I am expecting there to be NO groups anywhere near me. I won't be waiting a few nights before they get my complaints. First night there is anything I will be walking up to the front desk and demanding a 100% stop of the behavior or being upgraded to a resort they are not staying.

:thumbsup2

I, too, have had my run-ins with these tour groups, but I have to say that I've seen inexcusable behavior from ALL types of groups, regardless of whether or not they speak English.

that may be true, but we are speaking about the BTGs in this thread.

Luckily, the times I have gone and seen these groups in theparks, their behavior seemed much more in control than in years past.
you are lucky
It's my understanding that Disney has been employing people who speak foreign languages to assist the chaperones in maintaing some semblance of order. From what I saw, it seemed to work well....
from your lips... by the way, they are not chaperones, they are tour guides. paid well to show the teens of affluent families a good time.
again, drunk people at the parks would be a totally different thread.:confused3

we are not blaming Disney for their "presence" we are blaming Disney for not hoding them to the same rules and standards of behavior the rest of us have to abide by. (becasue they are afraid of losing the megabucks from them

We were there last week and I saw a few groups in the parks. Even saw someone holding a flag as we boarded the plane. I did a double-take at that one. Fortunately, all the groups we saw were well-behaved kids. We were staying at AKL, so none at the resort. I think I'd go berzerk if I had to deal with that behavior at the resort.

And I agree with a PP who said there is lots of bad behavior on display at disney. I saw one drunk man at Epcot (holding a fresh beer), kicking a beach ball, which flew into the lap of a kid in a wheelchair. The child seemed fine and just laughed. But all I could think was how I'd react if that were my child (not well).

again, this may be true, but there are many threads about drunk, boorish behaviour at epcot. including this here is a red herring. this is a thread about the horrible, rude behaviour of the BTGs

The only time I have actually seen CMs do something about them was this past year and it was due to EXTREME circumstances. We stayed at POR in the middle of July and there were Brazilian teens "doing the dirty" by the pool and in the bushes basically. They kicked them out for their behavior but how about calling the cops for public indecency? That seemed to be the only major issue...talk about MAJOR. Luckily it was happening while we were checking in so we didn't have any issues the rest of the trip...talk about a shock walking into the resort!

The first week of December we came across two BTG's. They were behind us as we got off the Disney bus at Epcot and right away they start in with their chants and singing.

As another poster said, that loud chanting just ruins the Disney atmosphere. It's rude, it's annoying and it's disruptive. I've not seen any other tour groups behave this way. Disney needs to assign a CM to tag along with these groups and inform them that their loud, disruptive behavior needs to stop. I don't think their trip would be ruined just because they had to quiet down a bit.

In the past, when we were walking thru the park & a line of them came towards us, we learned to just stop in our tracks so they had to go around us. Otherwise, there's no way they allowed anyone thru their lines.

This is what I do as well. Whenever a line of people approaches and blocks my way, I stop and stand in place to allow them to proceed around me. It is a peaceful and efficient way to deal with the issue.

Checked into pop yesterday. We are in the food court now and the fifteens are here. This is the first I've seen them.

They were all over the Pop last year, we could never find a table in the food court because they would literally throw their bookbags on top of tables and then go and get their food. It was also really annoying with the buses as well. We found that the tour guides would "egg them on" instead of trying to keep some order with the group. You could really tell that the CM managers were getting annoyed with them as they were moving bookbags so that families could sit down and eat especially when they had small kids. I think that what they should do is rope off a section of the tables just for them so that they can be in their own area and not disturb the other guests.

I'm pretty sure it would be illegal to rope off an area and require people from a certain country to sit in it.

I don't think he meant to rope off an area for a certain country. I think he meant to have an area for their tour group.

OMG! I'm in trouble! :scared1: My DH cannot, absolutely cannot, tolerate the Brazilians at WDW! We had so, so, so many bad experiences with their horribly rude behavior that he is scarred for life! When I planned this trip (not our usual time, just wanted to get away from the cold), he said, I don't care when we go, but not when "they" are there!

We are going 2/9-2/14/14 & staying at POFQ! From this thread, I think we are in trouble!

We go during Pop Warner week & never have the same problem. We go when many other large groups are there & never have the same problem. If it is a cultural difference, then I'm glad I don't live in that culture!

In the past, when we were walking thru the park & a line of them came towards us, we learned to just stop in our tracks so they had to go around us. Otherwise, there's no way they allowed anyone thru their lines. We had whole families squeeze in front of us when we were standing in lines for attractions, food, etc. No manners what so ever - how does that happen?

Oh well, if we are unlucky this time, I guess next year I'll escape to another part of Florida!

I wouldn't worry too much about February because I think their schools are back in session. It's usually January that they come.

We went the first part of January this year, and there were not many tour groups, but there were lots of foreign families there. I felt like I was in a foreign country because the English-speaking people were few and far-between. But the only issue I had with them was their lack of personal space etiquette. I'm sure it was cultural and not intentional, but they do physically get up on you and think nothing of pushing and shoving. When you give out those hints that they're too close, they just don't get it. But at least there were not a lot of tour groups.

The only time I have actually seen CMs do something about them was this past year and it was due to EXTREME circumstances. We stayed at POR in the middle of July and there were Brazilian teens "doing the dirty" by the pool and in the bushes basically. They kicked them out for their behavior but how about calling the cops for public indecency? That seemed to be the only major issue...talk about MAJOR. Luckily it was happening while we were checking in so we didn't have any issues the rest of the trip...talk about a shock walking into the resort!

When you mean kicked out...do you mean out of por or out of wdw? Just curious...

I wouldn't worry too much about February because I think their schools are back in session. It's usually January that they come.

Thanks for the encouragement. We leave 1 week from tomorrow! :thumbsup2

My Thoughts - DH & I have traveled extensively outside the U.S. We have never been to any country where people "chanted" in public places (except for political demonstrations), crowded into our "space" (unless on public transport, which happens in U.S.), formed lines to prevent others from passing, formed large groups to block passageways, created disturbances at hotels, etc. I don't believe the BTGs' actions are cultural. I believe their actions are young tourists running amouk because of lack of supervision, & a group mentality fostered by lack of enforcement by Disney.

DH & I wintered in Disney area for 6-7 years between late 1990s & early 2000s. The BTGs were a problem then, & there were lots of complaints & lots of promises & excuses by Disney (we just didn't realize "they" had "seasons"!). Since Disney has not done anything about this problem that's existed for decades, Disney won't do anything about it now! Maybe if non-BTGs plan their trips accordingly & leave many of the Disney hotels empty during BTG time, Disney will do something????

Checked in at 6pm. Request for 50's and not near, not fulfilled. Put in 8 again and I said, no I won't have my week ruined again. Called "OPS" and said resort sold out could maybe move us tomorrow. I told her you shouldn't put families over there. She says "we can't treat them different". I think they already are because if I tore my room up I would get thrown out. I said not them, treat families better by not putting us in middle. Her response "We have to put families with them." Why??? The kids are everywhere outside and wouldn't let us pass to our room. Just stood there. So I stood there, said excuse me and waited. They moved. Went to MK for a few hours and they were ill-behaved. Blocking across Main Street chanting. Rethinking what was a nice yearly winter visit, def will look at offsite! EDIT: Went out to my car around midnight to get something and came face to face with a security guy on a bicycle riding on the walkway right up against rooms. He said "hello" and I said "You're going to keep it quiet tonight, right?" and he said "I'm going to try". Other than a few slammed doors and wandering and smoking outside our room (4th floor) ..... after 1 am has been quiet.

(7pm was still able to get FP+ for HM and Buzz, but really all else had short lines).

we are not blaming Disney for their "presence" we are blaming Disney for not hoding them to the same rules and standards of behavior the rest of us have to abide by. (becasue they are afraid of losing the megabucks from them

again, this may be true, but there are many threads about drunk, boorish behaviour at epcot. including this here is a red herring. this is a thread about the horrible, rude behaviour of the BTGs

And all I am trying to say is that not all BTG's behave badly. I can certainly understand (and by the way, kinda agree with) your sentiment that Disney (and society in general) demands a certain level of decorum, but to generalize that all BTG's behave badly isn't fair. I just returned from Marathon Weekend and saw several large BTG's, and I have to say they didn't exhibit any outlandish behavior. It would be wonderful if Disney could regulate this type of behavior, but let's face it, it's very difficult. Believe me, there have been times where I've wanted to pound some of these people into submission. But then I realize, I'm in Disney World, enjoy it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter