• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Break Even Point with Out of State annual pass?

Nana2Callie

DIS Veteran
Considering the new prices - how many Disney Days would be needed for a break even point on the annual pass (out of state price). Also, are the discounts and perks still in effect with the pass - I've seen conflicting information on this. Thank you.

Considering the new prices - how many Disney Days would be needed for a break even point on the annual pass (out of state price). Also, are the discounts and perks still in effect with the pass - I've seen conflicting information on this. Thank you.
There is no real easy way to answer your question because of the date based pricing.

If you go during a holiday week like Christmas or Easter, it will take less days on your ap to break even vs going in early September when day tickets are cheaper.

There are a few discounts/perks on an ap.

Included parking at the parks if you plan on parking there. (You would get this included if you are staying on property)

20% off at most gift shops

10% off at most table service restaurants.

Agree - no easy answer. Would probably be different for different families. If you like the flexibility of the AP for park entries (we have APs and will go into EP just for the festival food booths at lunch - might not do that with a regular day pass). If you do dawn to closing, then you might get more out of day passes instead of APs. But if you plan on a week or more at WDW, probably worth checking seriously.

On-site vs on-site plays a role too.

If you’re staying offsite, annual pass holders are offered free parking at the parks.

Obviously, if you’re onsite, it’s a wash.

For us, it's the flexibility the AP offers. We are DVC, so we qualify for the Sorcerer Pass and this likely doesn't answer the question directly, but we also take shorter trips more often so it might balance out. Unlike many other owners, we tend not to over-plan and only make maybe one or two park reservations and an equal number of dinner reservations on a 5-day trip. Having the AP lets us pop into a park just about any time even if it's just for a beer at Rose & Crown.

I'd base the calculation on trips rather than days. Figure three trips will make it worthwhile.

The only "perk" that's been removed from the annual passes is PhotoPass, and that was removed about three years ago.

The average price during the non-peak times for a Park Hopper ticket is $75 (rounded). I used the 10 day park hopper option.
The AP is $1,595 so that's 21 days to break even. You can do the math on ticket prices for peak times. Maybe 18 days?

Also, are the discounts and perks still in effect with the pass - I've seen conflicting information on this.
Depending on which class of resort you choose you can save $25 to $75 per night per room.
You save between $3 and $6 per meal with the AP discount.
If you typically buy a lot of merch the AP will save you a couple of dollars per item.

I looked at it for myself with the potential of 2 trips with 7 day hoppers and decided for me the AP was not worth it. It does depend on some other factors - time of year, I don't eat many TS meals for the discounts, don't buy much merchandise, will be onsite at least one of the trips, etc.

We typically go twice a year for 8-10 days each. We usually go to the parks about 6 days each trip. I took the days that we go and looked at the price of a six day park hopper for each time. By the slimmest of margins the cost of an AP was cheaper. So then add in the 10% on food and 20% on shopping (minimal but still a few things) and the AP becomes a better choice. We so want to do a last minute spur of the moment trip but just haven't found the right combo of AP discounted room and flight sale but we will some day.

Rough guess the dates you would go for the year. Lookup current pricing for those dates as your ticket estimate. Unfortunately you'll have to guess for anything in 2024 right now. Do the estimated ticket costs meet or exceed an AP? If it's close consider getting 1 AP. Only the AP holder will be allowed special events like Previews but discounts will apply to the traveling party. As long as one person in a family has an AP you can get merch and TS discounts which should be enough to turn a borderline AP into a money saving choice. Hotel savings is hard to calc. It might be available, it might not. If you have an upcoming onsite trip and an AP rate is available consider that savings as well- again it's like TS and merch discounts, you only need 1 AP to get the discount.

Also consider will an AP encourage you to take more Disney trips? The savings from a pass disappear instantly if you plan another trip just because you have an AP. So keep that in mind as you look at your total travel budget for the year.

I'd base the calculation on trips rather than days. Figure three trips will make it worthwhile.

The only "perk" that's been removed from the annual passes is PhotoPass, and that was removed about three years ago.
I agree with the calculation and the answer. Three 4 day trips or Two 10 day trips I think would be comparable costs for base tickets. Then you'd start to get ahead by park hopping, resort/meal/merch discounts, photo pass etc etc.

Thank you for all the info. So the food discount is only on TS? Seems like when we had AP in past - it was all food.
Looking at 5-6 days in October and then 9 days in May 2024.
When does the AP become active? Purchase date or actual first day you enter park? If I buy now for October visit - then would I lose 5 months?

Thank you for all the info. So the food discount is only on TS? Seems like when we had AP in past - it was all food.
Looking at 5-6 days in October and then 9 days in May 2024.
When does the AP become active? Purchase date or actual first day you enter park? If I buy now for October visit - then would I lose 5 months?
The AP is active the first day you tap into a park. They do only have a year now that you can activate them, used to you could buy one and activate it longer than a year from when you bought it. The food discount is only for Disney owned TS restaurants, Disney owned is important. The merch. discount is the same way, only for Disney owned stores. For example: I buy the masks in the Italy pavilion, there is not discount on those as that part of the shop is not owned by Disney. There are a few restaurants in the parks that aren't owned by Disney as well.

We still plan our trips around the school calendar/holidays, so when pricing tickets, we have to look at certain dates. I just priced 6 days park hoppers the first week of June, plus 6 day PH Columbus day week, and they would cost 1517.43, so that is just over the cost of the Incredipass. So 12 days for us. However, we are DVC,, and can get the Sorceror's Pass
Also, AP will give more flexibility, easy to add extra half days, etc. or maybe even get in another trip!! plus some discounts!

The food discount is only for Disney owned TS restaurants, Disney owned is important.

Actually there are a lot of restaurants not Disney owned that give the AP discounts in the parks & at Disney Springs. We’ve gotten the discount at Space 220, both restaurants in Italy, the Edison, (all owned by the Patina group) & the Boathouse, and both restaurants in France (not owned by Disney) just off the top of my head.

For us it's two 7-day stays, based on what we would buy without an AP. We do three trips each year, so the DVC Sorcerer's pass (in our case) is worth it.

I talked to an Annual Pass Florida resident this last trip and he said they were doing a summer offer of 20% off food. So I guess that pops up occasionally. We are also in the same consideration boat. Since we are out of state it will be $1500 even through military. We are considering maybe doing a longgggggggg RV trip in 2025 summer. So we might buy in 2024 before the prices go up again before 2025 if it looks pretty certain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter