Breakfast for picky eaters at Royal Pacific

Donathius

Mouseketeer
FYI this is our first trip to Orlando/Universal so we have no idea what we're doing lol

We got a ridiculous deal on a 5 night (Sun-Fri) stay at the Royal Pacific coming up in October. We're going to celebrate my son turning 11 and it was a great excuse to go somewhere we've never been! The big downside is that my son is an EXTREMELY picky eater, but it's something he actually has a lot of anxiety about. He wants to try new foods, but will almost end up in tears when he's trying to put it in his mouth (he's seeing a therapist). That detail aside - I'm loathe to spend $20 on breakfast for him when he'll hardly eat anything.

At home most days he just eats cereal. Are there any basic inexpensive options in/around the hotel? Can we ship things or have some groceries delivered to us from Walmart/DoorDash/etc?

Yes you can have items delivered. Tuk Tuk Market has pastries, bagels etc. It is grab and go. Islands Dining Room has a Buffett that includes all the usual breakfast staples. I believe 11 would be adult price ($25) so that may not be worth it.

I would order breakfast foods you know he will eat for your room. I would ask the therapist how to handle vacation, but I would personally not want to stress him out about food on a special birthday trip. Especially with breakfast, I would just want him to have something in his stomach to start the day off right.

If the therapist says he should continue to try new foods while you’re there, mayeb aim for lunch or dinner where he could order a new side or try something from your plate?

I would order breakfast foods you know he will eat for your room. I would ask the therapist how to handle vacation, but I would personally not want to stress him out about food on a special birthday trip. Especially with breakfast, I would just want him to have something in his stomach to start the day off right.

If the therapist says he should continue to try new foods while you’re there, mayeb aim for lunch or dinner where he could order a new side or try something from your plate?

Fully agree with this response. I have a 15 year old autistic son with food aversion/texture/smell issues and vacation is NOT the time to work on it. Vacation is the time where he gets to literally eat whatever he wants, even if that means a burger and fries for lunch and chicken tenders or pizza for dinner every day.

Thanks for the replies everyone. He's generally not too hard to satisfy - there are enough things he likes that we can usually find something pretty much anywhere. Particularly since this is HIS birthday trip (and I just got a 20% raise at work!) we're going to let him have just about anything he wants food-wise. I just don't want to break the bank on breakfast if I can avoid it.

Yep, my kid is just a picky eater and not fond of any breakfast food. So I bring or order food I know she will eat for breakfast in our room. Can easily pack small boxes of cereal and buy milk at the quick service place in the hotel, or order milk and other food to be delivered to your hotel. There is a small refrigerator in the room.

I've got 2 picky eaters and am one myself. I'd pack or have shipped cereal (I wound up grabbing some on a wal-mart run on day 2 after paying hotel prices for a container of Frosted Flakes for DD). Milk is available in Tuk Tuk.

I found the breakfast sandwiches to be ok, the eggs are powdered. Not sure how that will go over in your house. They have bacon and sausage (patty) croissants and burritos. Also have hot options behind the counter so he can SEE what's available if that helps.

Of course, there's also voodoo donut and cinnabun in Citywalk if you want to pre-game.

Breakfast is my only complaint about universal. So few inexpensive options. I’d bring stuff for room and call it done.

The Tuk Tuk market has plenty of cereal & milk. We're not big breakfast eaters & that's what we grabbed every morning. There are some tables on the quiet side in the market (never saw sitting there but us); more pleasant than eating in your room.

Do a grocery order and get cereal and milk so he can eat breakfast in the room and not stress about it.
I got those packaged cereal bowls that you can eat out of for my daughter's gluten intolerant friend. The single serve shelf stable milks are great as well. The fridges are small so not needing to take up space with milk that is just going into cereal was nice.

My last trip with my nieces we did a quick uber ride to a nearby grocery store to pick up a jug of milk and a box of cereal. A bit of a pain, but a quick stop on the way from the airport works too. Way cheaper than dishing out the silly marked up prices at the resort stores.

Breakfast is my only complaint about universal. So few inexpensive options. I’d bring stuff for room and call it done.
Today Cafe ham and egg breakfast sandwich with a cup of fruit for $8.99. It’s decent sized, so we split one. They’re really good and there is indoor seating available. Starbucks is also good for breakfast, as well as the grab and go at Sapphire. Good breakfast sandwiches and potatoes. The potatoes were $4, I don’t remember the sandwich prices there.

If you have a car, go to the nearby Hash House a Go Go--with their portions you won't have to eat for a week! :-)

Pull up the menu for Island Dining Room at RP

I go there for breakfast but I like the regular eggs and pancake breakfast

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter