• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Breakfast in room

Elaine Guidi

Elaine
In order to save some money and also for a change from going out for breakfast I thought we could have breakfast in the room on some mornings. (We are 2 adult and 2 children). Obviously I will be able to get cereal and milk at a supermarket and we have asked for a fridge in our room so this shouldn't be a problem. What I did wonder was what about plates etc and what cereals will I be able to get eg Frosties DH and DD's favourite. Would we be best to get disposable paper bowls and plastic spoons or what. I expect these are readily available at Walmart etc - where is the nearest Walmart in Kissimmee? What ideas have others had to economise with meals in their room. Thanks.

Hello Elaine,
We always take some DIY stuff. You can get plastic picnic bowls at the moment for 99p for 4 from places like Asda. Also spoons, plates etc. I usually buy cheap mugs(I don't like plastic ones) and leave them behind. I take a jar of instant coffee and some tea bags & buy cereal etc. when we get there. American cereal has less salt in than ours but is otherwise much the same, just lots more choice. You can get croissants, muffins, bagels etc. and some bakeries do bread similar to ours.
Because so much food is takeaway even in Supermarkets there is an ample supply of paper napkins, paper plates, plastic cutlery, condiments etc. Just help yourself whether you need them at the time or not & you will soon build up a supply for your room.
We tend to look on this as saving money but mostly saving time as there never seems enough time to do everything and so long as we can relax over 1 meal each day we don't mind if the others are a bit rushed or DIY in the room.
Regards,
Carol

Frosties are called Kelloggs Frosted Flakes in the US. Just look for the box with Tony the Tiger!! I think they are the same.

Elaine,

There is a big 24 hour Walmart on the 192, just past Medieval Nights marker 14, I think. Even the car park is pretty big as we temporarily lost our car!

Just one thought - don't the hotel staff get a bit suspicious when you walk up to your room laden down with supermarket bags?! Or is this the norm?

Don't worry! This is very much the norm.
The Americans as a whole are very easy going. They take "being a free Country "seriously, but are also as anxious as us to save a dollar or two where they can. They will eat in the room & take food into the Parks so you might as well join them.:)
Take a peek into some of the rooms if you can,before the maid has been in & you'll see what I mean!
Carol

I packed a couple of spoons but bought a HUGE pack of disposable plastic bowls from Walmart at some ridiculously low price, something like $2.99 for 100 bowls!! Saves washing up that way too!!

Take a look at the, what seem like, 1000's of cereals whilst you're buying your Frosted Flakes and wonder away at what some Americans like to have with their milk in the morning!! :)

Astrid

Froot Loops and fresh strawberries - yum!!

And the multi-coloured cheerios - we only get the boring multi-cheerios here, the US ones are red, yellow, blue....

I don't understand why Kellogs don't think we Brits will eat more "colourful" cereal!!

By the way, we've ordered pizzas to rooms that we've stayed in. You usually find some local Pizza take away places advertised in the hotel/motel rooms. Ring them up and they come to your door. Just keep the chain on and check who it is before opening up!

Because so few motels or hotels have in-house dining, it is standard practise to permit guests to eat in rooms.

The only problem with going to, say, Walmart for that solitary box of cereal and a carton of milk is that you will return with donuts, crisps, peanuts, Froot Loops (or something like that because the box looks nice), brownies, pretzels, cookies, cookies, cookies.....and some bananas (because they're healthy).

:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter