breakfast options in a studio

mhingher

DIS Veteran
We'll be staying 6 nights at Aulani in a few weeks. Since we're staying in a studio we won't have a full kitchen. We don't want to eat breakfast out every day to save money. Is there a food store close by to pick up English muffins/bagels, cereal, fruit, yogurt, etc? We'll have a rental car and we'll be staying in Waikiki the week before, so we can stop somewhere on the way if that's more convenient?

My husband likes coffee in the morning, I see on the website there's a coffee maker in the room. Do we need to bring pods or packets? Or are the provided?

Also, any suggestions on how we can "make" other meals during our stay? I was thinking of getting some cold cuts and rolls for some lunches?

There is a town about 5 minutes from Aulani called Kapolei.

It is on the way and is the exit off the highway before the one for Aulani. It is where most people stop before they check into Aulani or is even easy and close enough to head back out to once you get your room.

In Kapolei there is a Costco, Safeway, Walmart, Target with a small grocery section and other retail options and restaurants.

I bring my collapsible soft sided cooler bag from home to bring my perishable groceries back to the resort in.

If you search the word Kapolei in this thread you will see many, many posts with the different stuff there

Cold cuts and rolls are a great idea, I usually pick up muffins and bagels, yogurt, fruit, POG juice for quickie breakfasts

We spent 6 nights in a studio as well. Across the street from Aulani, walking distance, is a small grocery store that will have basic things. We opted to stop at Target in Kapolei, as PP mentions, and picked up things like Pop Tarts, bagels, muffins for breakfast. We did eat breakfast one day at Ama Ama which I recommend, and had leftover malasadas from Leonard's another morning. For quick and easy lunches, we picked up bread and cold cuts, chips, granola bars, and other pre-packaged things that were easy to eat. One night we ordered a pizza from Ulu Cafe for dinner and another night we got a pizza from Pizza Corner across the street - both times we had leftovers, so we were able to heat them up for lunch the next day.

I was in a studio for 2 weeks last summer (then a one bedroom for another 2) at the Marriott. I brought this along:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B2WOWE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and made eggs, grilled cheese, etc.... Brought a small nonstick pan but the housekeeping would have brought us pans I later found out!

Edit: this is a small single burner. I donated it when we left as it had served its purpose, and my luggage was brimming full! It's totally allowed; I left it out when housekeeping came.

I was in a studio for 2 weeks last summer (then a one bedroom for another 2) at the Marriott. I brought this along:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B2WOWE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and made eggs, grilled cheese, etc.... Brought a small nonstick pan but the housekeeping would have brought us pans I later found out!

Edit: this is a small single burner. I donated it when we left as it had served its purpose, and my luggage was brimming full! It's totally allowed; I left it out when housekeeping came.

I would definitely call Aulani before ordering a hot plate. Really doubt Disney would permit them as they are a fire hazard. For that matter, Marriott may not permit them either. The fact that a housekeeper said or did nothing doesn't mean the hotel allows them.

I would definitely call Aulani before ordering a hot plate. Really doubt Disney would permit them as they are a fire hazard. For that matter, Marriott may not permit them either. The fact that a housekeeper said or did nothing doesn't mean the hotel allows them.

I have to admit this was my immediate reaction to seeing the hot plate thing. I think one big concern would be that there really is no counter space to have as a safe surround for a hot plate. Not being a party pooper, but in a high rise hotel, the idea that our stay next year, that someone near us could be using a hot plate gives me the willies a bit. I mean, one would HOPE that anyone using such an appliance would use extraordinary care, but most of us on vacation tend to be more.... relaxed...

I have to admit this was my immediate reaction to seeing the hot plate thing. I think one big concern would be that there really is no counter space to have as a safe surround for a hot plate. Not being a party pooper, but in a high rise hotel, the idea that our stay next year, that someone near us could be using a hot plate gives me the willies a bit. I mean, one would HOPE that anyone using such an appliance would use extraordinary care, but most of us on vacation tend to be more.... relaxed...

Exactly. I'm sure happymommy was very careful but completely agree....the very idea is scary to me.

Well, even though housekeeping said it was perfectly fine, I contacted the resort directly through facebook. They said technically it wasn't allowed. Now I know; thanks! I was very careful of course, and odds are I won't do a studio again anyway.

There are still lots of breakfast options in a studio, with a microwave and toaster.

Coffee is always provided with a "starter pack" meaning one pot worth. I always like to bring our own good coffee. Housekeeping will always give you a few extra filters for free.

Well, even though housekeeping said it was perfectly fine, I contacted the resort directly through facebook. They said technically it wasn't allowed. Now I know; thanks! I was very careful of course, and odds are I won't do a studio again anyway.

There are still lots of breakfast options in a studio, with a microwave and toaster.

Coffee is always provided with a "starter pack" meaning one pot worth. I always like to bring our own good coffee. Housekeeping will always give you a few extra filters for free.

Very nice post, Happymommy! :flower3:

Hi! The filters for the coffee machine are the round ones with the wavy edges. They are easy to pack so I usually buy them at home and take them with me.

How about toast and peanut butter? Another option is to ask for a blender from housekeeping and make peanut butter and banana smoothies:)

If you enjoy grilling, we do brats, fish, burgers, etc... But for a short stay, you may not want to bother.

You can always make eggs in the microwave, scrambled or poached (just prick the yolk so it won't explode!). Also get precooked bacon, nuke for a few seconds, nice for BLT's or breakfast sandwiches.

I like to pick everything up at Target on the way.

We were in a studio last week and hit Costco and Target on our first day. (Went to both because some of the Costco package sizes are bigger than we needed for just two of us). We bought some bread, peanut butter, and jam, and had toast most mornings. Also bought some cereal and milk to have something different on a day or two. And some orange juice. The coffee they give you in your room at Aulani doesn't seem to make a strong enough pot for my liking, so I would usually take my refillable mug down to Ulu Cafe for something a little better. Our lunches on the days we were on-property (rather than site-seeing) were usually just something to tide us over until dinner and we ate more Costco items: packets of genoa salami and provolone cheese, baked green pea crisps (kind of like potato chips but baked snap-pea pods), and pork jerky. The pork jerky was so good that I went back and got 2 more bags to take home with me since I've never seen it at our Costco in PA.

On another note, the gas at Costco was by far the cheapest I saw anywhere on Oahu or Kauai, at $2.99/gallon. It was closer to $4.00/gallon (usually around $3.75, but saw over $4.00) other places.

On another note, the gas at Costco was by far the cheapest I saw anywhere on Oahu or Kauai, at $2.99/gallon. It was closer to $4.00/gallon (usually around $3.75, but saw over $4.00) other places.

Great suggestions for in-room eats to save money, glennbo123! And as for Costco gas? It is far and away the cheapest on any Hawaiian island that has a Costco! You should see the lines all day long at the Kahului, Maui Costco! Insane! But worth it! :cutie:

We stopped at both Walmart and Costco - we were staying in a 2-bedroom so we had more options for cooking. However, we also bought a lot of fruit at Costco. The pineapple was amazing!

The filters for the coffee machine are the round ones with the wavy edges

We bought a pound of coffee at Costco. They ground it for us so it was nice and fresh. Price was pretty good and it was nice coffee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter