BREAKING: Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway Ride is Coming to Disneyland Park

dina444444

DIS Veteran
Mickey Mouse has never had his own theme park ride and now Disney is going full speed ahead on bringing an attraction featuring their beloved corporate icon into more Disney Parks around the world.

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway is already set to open in 2019 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios at the Walt Disney World Resort, but Disney is expected to announce soon that the ride will also be coming to Mickey’s Toontown at Disneyland Park in Anaheim, California. This will be the park’s next big addition following the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in the Summer of 2019.

Disney is expected to make the announcement around Mickey and Minnie’s 90th birthdays on November 18th, specifically at the D23 Destination D event in Florida. The event already has a scheduled presentation about the new ride featuring Disney Imagineers, and either that presentation or the opening keynote by Parks and Resorts Chairman Bob Chapek will be the venue for the reveal. Well, I guess we already revealed it, but at least officially it will happen during one of those events.

As for where in Disneyland Park the ride will sit, you can stop worrying if you were expecting a large amount of Toontown to be demolished. Luckily, Roger Rabbit’s Cartoon Spin and Gadget’s Go Coaster aren’t going anywhere. Disneyland cast members will probably be less enthused about this news as the ride is being built mostly backstage, behind Mickey’s Toontown. The building for “Marceline West” (the project name of Runaway Railway, simply called “Marceline” here in Florida) would take the place of “N19” (the main entertainment department building) and the park’s current fireworks launch point. It is unknown where the entertainment department will be moving, but we are already expecting more projection-heavy fireworks shows at Disneyland in 2019, with the newest show only having pyrotechnics on weekends and projections-only on weekdays starting early next year. More on that at a later date…

The only Toontown establishment leaving will be the Gag Factory shop, which will come the entrance to Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway. We don’t know when construction will begin or when this shop will close, but we expect early next year.

If you want to learn more about the upcoming Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, please check out our breakdown of every scene in the ride.

Of course, none of this has been confirmed by the Walt Disney Company as of yet and things can certainly change, but we don’t expect that to happen, with only a few weeks left until the formal announcement.

Source

This is indeed great news!:sunny: But are we going to lose the fireworks and the parades?:sad1:

Well, that's interesting. I am sad though that it seems we will be losing a lot of fireworks and going more projections which I don't particularly care for but I am also not surprised because I know that was one of the sticking points between the locals and DLR - they didn't want the fireworks going off all night.

Well, that's interesting. I am sad though that it seems we will be losing a lot of fireworks and going more projections which I don't particularly care for but I am also not surprised because I know that was one of the sticking points between the locals and DLR - they didn't want the fireworks going off all night.
Yeah. They’re probably doing it for a combo of cost and deals with Anaheim

Super interesting! I'm excited to think that Toontown is going to continue to be a staple, and that it will be getting some new life!

That part worries me a lot.

As for the reasoning, Disney is always happy to help fix a problem when it saves them money.

That part worries me a lot.

As for the reasoning, Disney is always happy to help fix a problem when it saves them money.
You are very right :scratchin, which sucks because I'm just not a huge fan of the projections - I know they cost quite a bit to do initially but it seems like a cheap way to go to me (I know - the whole point for Disney). But then again, I love fireworks and if they are truly going to limit the fireworks than my 1st and 2nd favorite firework shows are dust (RDCT and HS).

You are very right :scratchin, which sucks because I'm just not a huge fan of the projections - I know they cost quite a bit to do initially but it seems like a cheap way to go to me (I know - the whole point for Disney). But then again, I love fireworks and if they are truly going to limit the fireworks than my 1st and 2nd favorite firework shows are dust (RDCT and HS).
This little tidbit in the article is a far bigger story than the ride itself, IMHO. Very disappointing. And it's really going to stack crowds up at night. It will be a huge mess.

Doubt this will be going to Toontown since that area needs to close early for the fireworks.
Expect it more to be in Hollywood Land at California Adventure ;)

I'm excited about it, but I thought the original rumors were that it would go in Hollywood Land at DCA. It definitely works in Toontown, but I do hope that means they'll spruce up the rest of Toontown since it's looking a little dated.

I thought I read somewhere that the fireworks will be set off from SWL once it's open and ready, so it may not be a big deal. The fireworks will probably disappear for the off season and start again next summer with SWL's opening.

I know that was one of the sticking points between the locals and DLR - they didn't want the fireworks going off all night.

That has been a long standing argument with neighbors for decades. It was settled in court long ago. The residents lost because Disneyland was there long before they moved to the area. They knew what they were moving next too. I don't think the reason is resident complaints. Its a lot cheaper to do video shows than fireworks. Charge people more, give them less and increase profits.

Last edited:
I think it has more to do with guest satisfaction than either neighbor relations or cost control.

Imagine a nighttime show that works with or without fireworks. It can run every single night of the year, regardless of crowd size or wind conditions. It will be plussed on weekends and vacation weeks and summer days... but will still be a grest Disney nighttime spectacular on nights when the fireworks can’t run because of wind.

That’s my theory. I think Disney can come up with something pretty great that will exceed expectations. Projection mapping technology has come a long way in the last decade.

(ETA: How many times do we hear about someone whose vacation was “ruined” because the fireworks were canceled!?!)

(ETA: How many times do we hear about someone whose vacation was “ruined” because the fireworks were canceled!?!)

YES, so true. I do love Disneyland fireworks, they are the only fireworks I care to watch! But there is so much dry weather and Santa Ana winds they seem to get canceled a lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter