BREAKING: Walt Disney World Introduces Date-Based Variable Pricing for Genie+ Service

Sadly, the only way they can control the number that purchase it is to
a) Place an actual limit on the number of G+'s sold per day. First come, first serve
b) Raise the price :crazy2:

I'm not sold that G+ is broken right now. Sure, things run out, but we were there late July which is not a slow time and it worked just fine. Sure one, maybe two rides, will run out quickly but that wasn't any different when paper fastpass was around. We always could refresh and scoop up a spot even if a ride was sold out. It just took some effort, but still far less time than standing in the standby line

Dan
With Genie+ it rarely happens that a ride pops back up. Rides shouldn't sell out by park open and return times shouldn't jump to late in the day so quickly.

For as many that love Genie+ there is the same number that are constantly at the blue tents having issues with it.

Genie+ also isn't helping with crowding. Parks are made for people to be in queues not wandering around waiting for their return time.

Cause of all that they unfortunately need to price some people out. Make it $50 on busy days.

With Genie+ it rarely happens that a ride pops back up. Rides shouldn't sell out by park open and return times shouldn't jump to late in the day so quickly.

For as many that love Genie+ there is the same number that are constantly at the blue tents having issues with it.

Genie+ also isn't helping with crowding. Parks are made for people to be in queues not wandering around waiting for their return time.

Cause of all that they unfortunately need to price some people out. Make it $50 on busy days.
I would like to see the $50 per person per day test, in order to see if it makes a difference at all.

I have a suspicion that $50 is not the breaking point of the system. I suspect that it will still be an overly-popular option at $50. I feel like the price of Genie+ with have to equal or surpass a single day ticket for people to finally let it go. I am just basing this guess on the current demand and sold out dates for after hours events and holiday parties.

I would like to see the $50 per person per day test, in order to see if it makes a difference at all.

I have a suspicion that $50 is not the breaking point of the system. I suspect that it will still be an overly-popular option at $50. I feel like the price of Genie+ with have to equal or surpass a single day ticket for people to finally let it go. I am just basing this guess on the current demand and sold out dates for after hours events and holiday parties.
Maybe. At $50 I'm sure there will enough that don't buy it that it will make a difference.

For a family of 4, $50 a day is around the price of a character meal so I agree, some people might just shift funds. I do think at $50 a day more people are not buying it every day of the trip. I too would want to know I'm getting more then 2 to 3 rides at $50!

I do think at $50 a day more people are not buying it every day of the trip.
That's a good point. People who at least figure it out see that for them it may not be as good to purchase Genie+ for all 4 parks or all the days using a day here and there to knock out rides and other days to take it easier. I could see them being even more selective if the price is higher.

That said I don't think it would help with MK and DHS because those seem to be the parks that have the pain points. For DHS Fantasmic may be critical in easing up the later day Genie+ times if it can absorb those crowds. It def. helped us get on rides at MK with Enchantment pulling people. We watched the show once and that was enough for us so the other times we were back at MK at night we were able to go off and enjoy some rides with much lower waits.

We did ONE trip with no FP or G+, summer '21, and vowed we would never return unless a system was put back in place. We stood in lines practically all day in the park, (that's no exaggeration) and had little time to shop, grab a snack, enjoy the atmoshpere, etc... We had to get up super early just to get ONE, maybe two headliners completed before the lines stayed very long for the rest of the day. That whole experience just wasn't fun, and night and day versus having FP, FP+, or G+.
We did a trip after the pandemic started when it was without any type of FP/Genie system and we still talk about it fondly as being one of the best trips ever. No plans, no running, no making this time or that time, no purpose for the phones aside from photos. We just showed up and went to whatever we felt like!

We did a trip after the pandemic started when it was without any type of FP/Genie system and we still talk about it fondly as being one of the best trips ever. No plans, no running, no making this time or that time, no purpose for the phones aside from photos. We just showed up and went to whatever we felt like!
Unfortunately that's apples and oranges. When did you go? Crowds were way different then

Dan

Maybe. At $50 I'm sure there will enough that don't buy it that it will make a difference.
I am not so sure that $50 is a breaking point. Yes, it is very expensive. But there are lots of people that are buying park tickets plus holiday party tickets or after-hours tickets. That group is spending up to $150 dollars on top of the price of their park ticket.

To be clear, I am not comparing the Genie+ experience to an after-hours event experience. I am simply trying to look at what today's guests are willing to pay in addition to their park ticket.

Like another poster said, $50 per person is less than the cost of an adult going to a character meal. Plenty of people are adding those to their day.

So even at $50, guests can cut from dining to pay for LLs or it looks like a steal compared to other opportunities for lower wait times (like parties).

Unfortunately that's apples and oranges. When did you go? Crowds were way different then

Dan
Late 2020. Yes, crowds were lower but waits were still plenty long with disinfecting, spacing, limited hours and some attractions/shows being closed. What we found refreshing was the lack of a plan. Aside from knowing what park you were headed to it, you just walked, hopped on lines as they came, and didn't really worry anyone was doing it better or heading past you while you waited. Everyone was in the same exact boat.

My local to Orlando DISer friends have said the same and they went multiple times (one has lived in Orlando since spring 2019 the other couple has since fall 2020). Not having stopping and starting and stopping and starting with a fast lane really helped them with the SB line and they actually said they squeezed in some last minute trips to the parks before Genie+ started because they were enjoying the experience so much they were worried what would happen when Genie+ came around and they have said they were right to be worried.

Just yesterday one of them said about Genie+ "The difference in your vacation with vs without is pretty huge." and that's exactly why I resented MP at DL. Over at Universal I have been all my trips without EP save for 2 days back in May. We enjoyed EP, we'd def. consider again a split stay like we did with a night at one of the top 3. But not having it nor having it didn't mean the difference between feeling like we got a good trip or not. The same cannot be said for the products Disney puts out.

Late 2020. Yes, crowds were lower but waits were still plenty long with disinfecting, spacing, limited hours and some attractions/shows being closed. What we found refreshing was the lack of a plan. Aside from knowing what park you were headed to it, you just walked, hopped on lines as they came, and didn't really worry anyone was doing it better or heading past you while you waited. Everyone was in the same exact boat.
Yeah, if crowd levels were always 1-2's like they were then, we would hardly need something like FP or G+ and wouldn't be having these discussions.

I agree on the spontaneity. I'm jealous that you were able to go when you did, it had to be pretty magical. Reminds me of our first trip September 2010 when the nation was still battling the recession. The parks were amazing, like 2's and 3's. We didn't know any better, but now I look back at those days and dream about those low crowds.

We did late July '21 with no G+, when crowds were 5-7's. That was terrible. We had all the flexibility in the world (except for the stupid park reservation system) but it didn't matter, attraction lines were long for everything. It sucked the enjoyment out of the stay.

Dan

Yeah, if crowd levels were always 1-2's like they were then, we would hardly need something like FP or G+ and wouldn't be having these discussions.

I agree on the spontaneity. I'm jealous that you were able to go when you did, it had to be pretty magical. Reminds me of our first trip September 2010 when the nation was still battling the recession. The parks were amazing, like 2's and 3's. We didn't know any better, but now I look back at those days and dream about those low crowds.

We did late July '21 with no G+, when crowds were 5-7's. That was terrible. We had all the flexibility in the world (except for the stupid park reservation system) but it didn't matter, attraction lines were long for everything. It sucked the enjoyment out of the stay.

Dan
Yeah we went in Late September 21, and it was the lowest crowds I've ever seen by far. No need for FP or anything else. We were walking near Dinoland in AK one day and I noticed I could not see another guest any direction I looked. But I knew that would be the last time I ever saw crowds like that. Most of the Covid protocols were going away by then, just still had to wear masks indoors. It was a great trip, but definitely a unicorn.

We used G+ for 8 full days this summer, crowd levels 5-7's like it is now. The sold out rides popped back for us. I did daily reports about it. Exactly ONE ride in HS, MK and EP sell out before park open (SDD, PP, and Remy), and that's only because Disney allows G+ reservations to be made starting at 7am. If they waited until the parks opened to start making reservations that would change. There will always be that one most popular ride that is "the one" that guests deem as the must get.
There is no way to know this and I would argue that your statement is far from the truth. 1/3 or more guests are purchasing G+ everyday. That's an immense amount of guests each day. The folks at the blue umbrellas are a drop in the bucket compared to the number that actually purchased it. Many of them could be there for $ILL issue instead, or any number of things. By in large I've heard more positive than negative responses from those that have actually used G+.
Well, that's simply not how it works. Folks don't just wander aimlessly in the walkways when waiting for their next G+ time. They shop, get a snack, ride a different attraction standby, etc. Time is money at WDW and folks don't just stand around waiting for their timeslot. One of the original purposes of FP WAS to spread out the crowds and not having them doing nothing (and not spending more money) standing in a line queue.
Cause of all that they unfortunately need to price some people out. Make it $50 on busy days. I disagree but that's what discussion boards are for.

If that's what you want to believe, but it still makes no sense at all. Pushing the price higher deters people from buying, it just does. I'll buy it any day for $15. For $25, I'm going to pick and choose when I buy. For $50- I better see a vast increase in quality and quantity or I don't buy at all. I'm guessing along the way there will be a lot of people tapping out and at $50, the experience will be much, much better. But if you'd like to take everything Disney does and find a way to make them the evil corporation out to stick it to their guests, enjoy. I'm often critical of them but I don't see evil lurking behind every move they make.
I absolutely disagree with you. Disney's goal with G+ and ILL is to get as many people as possible to purchase it at the highest price. Maximize profits for the shareholders and get largest bonus possible. Take a look at park ticket pricing, it's gone up way over the cost of inflation, and yet nobody believes attendance is down. You might see a small drop in G+ purchase due to a price increase, but the nature of game dictates people buy it to maximize their time in the parts. Usage will go right back to normal.

I absolutely disagree with you. Disney's goal with G+ and ILL is to get as many people as possible to purchase it at the highest price. Maximize profits for the shareholders and get largest bonus possible. Take a look at park ticket pricing, it's gone up way over the cost of inflation, and yet nobody believes attendance is down. You might see a small drop in G+ purchase due to a price increase, but the nature of game dictates people buy it to maximize their time in the parts. Usage will go right back to normal.
While they do want most guests to buy G+ and ILL, they don't want the amount of people buying it that are buying it right now. They don't want it to be exclusive like Express Pass is at Universal but they also don't want everyone buying it.

What they want is that sweet spot for guests buying it and getting the same income from it. What they don't want is top attractions selling out as quickly as they do.

What they don't want is top attractions selling out as quickly as they do.
I can see this being one of the big complaints, especially for those that didn't research how best to use the system (which is probably most). "I bought this but my favorite G+ ride was gone so early". It's one of the problems of how the system is setup, like a digital version of the old paper fastpass system. At least with that old system you had to physically be in the park to scan your park ticket, and couldn't do it until the park opened. That at least provided some buffer in timing.

Dan

I can see this being one of the big complaints, especially for those that didn't research how best to use the system (which is probably most). "I bought this but my favorite G+ ride was gone so early". It's one of the problems of how the system is setup, like a digital version of the old paper fastpass system. At least with that old system you had to physically be in the park to scan your park ticket, and couldn't do it until the park opened. That at least provided some buffer in timing.

Dan
That's the thing. My guess is most people get Genie+ mostly for the top attractions.

So many people claiming to know what Disney wants….
I’m pretty sure profits is the highest on their list.

So many people claiming to know what Disney wants….
I’m pretty sure profits is the highest on their list.

Yes, and they adjust every lever available to achieve that. It would be completely fascinating to get an inside view into how they forecast and adjust park attendance limits, ride capacity, price points, cast member costs and staffing, complaints, trends, buying patterns, etc. Someone/Some people are tasked with crunching all the data and then forecasting. I think it's completely fascinating.

I've read a lot about how some people are dropping this or that, but given how difficult (like impossible) it was for me to get an ADR for my arrival day for 6 people, I don't think we're looking at empty tables just yet. It's just moving some people from QS to Table Service, etc. That's part of it too -- how many people are wanting __________ and can't get it because it's so sought after.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter