• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Breast Pump

Eeyore1928

<font color=FF99FF>Believer of Faith, Trust and Pi
Have any of you Moms out there traveled with a breast pump lately? Did the airlines let you carry it on the plane? I have the Medela pump in style and wanted to use it as a carry on...just not sure if it will pass security now!

I had the same one, but did not take it with me on our last trip. I can't imagine airlines saying no. No sharp objects, no real parts in it. You might get some strange looks, questions and have to explain yourself a few times. Try to get females to inspect it you have a better chance of them understanding. Also if they have any real questions bring an add that explains it (right start ect...) just in case they never heard of one before.

If you are concerned, call the airline first. That way if needed you can explain you called and asked ahead of time and they said yes.

Are you traveling with or with out the baby?

Good luck.

I have never known of any lady ever being denied carrying on a breast pump-- I've taken one and know of a few friends who have also taken one. Be prepared to resterilize your pump b/c in my experience airport sercurity will finger every part of a pump. Also in my experience the female sercurity staff is not any more discreet or understanding than the male staff.
Gina

I would assume that if they let lap tops, portable DVDs, etc, then a breast pump would be categorized in the same. You probably will not be able to operate it during certain times but they will tell you when you can operate electronic devices.

Watch out for the turbulence...I can only imagine how much that may hurt!

I would suggest packing the clear parts (tubing, flanges, bottles) in ziplocs so that they can be easily examined without being handled.

Just curious as to why you want to carry it on...are you planning on pumping on the plane, or are you just afraid it will get damaged if you check it? I am a big fan of the Medela PIS. (I've worked full time since DS was 6mo old and he's almost 14mo old now and has never had a drop of formula!) However, I've also had great luck with the Avent Isis pump. This is a manual pump that works great...obviously not as fast as the double electric, but pretty darned quick and easy to use. If I were you, I'd consider getting one of these to take on the trip and save yourself from carrying on the PIS with all the other stuff you'll want to carry on the plane.

Feel free to email me privately at tarawhittle@aol.com if you have any questions!

Although I've never tried the Isis, it does look like a good one.

However, of the many manual pumps I ever tried over the years of nursing 4 kids (to 1-year or beyond) the best and most effective was the Ameda one-handed manual pump. It's super easy to use and really works, as good as the PIS, but slower since you are only single pumping. I often got more milk from this manual than from the PIS because I switched sides at least twice when single-pumping, impossible when double-pumping.

The Ameda is compact, discreet and quiet. I loved mine to use when the PIS was inconvenient.

The female agent who happened to be on duty knew what it was and only gave it a cursory inspection, but her male supervisor was insisting that he wasn't letting that suspicious machine on board unless she operated it in his presence first. My colleague said, "Well, if you really want to insist, OK ..." Apparently, at this point the female agent whispered to the supervisor exactly what the pump was for and how it was used, because the supervisor turned beet red and told my friend to go ahead and board!

Some people are still REALLY squeamish about BF, especially men.
BTW, when I was nursing there is no way I ever went to an airport without my pump if I didn't have the baby with me. A flight delay could get really painful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter