Breastfeeding at the parks

disneypolybride2008

DIS Veteran
Hi, i am reading up on breastfeeding in the parks. I read about carriers that baby can breast feed in. Are there good option for carriers for a 21 lb baby? How do they breast feed in the carrier? How useful were the baby care centers when baby needs to nurse often.. you'd be running back and forth all day. At home we are quiet when baby is nursing. If there is any distraction DD pops off to see what is going on. -that would leave me exposed in Disney World! We don't use a cover. We always use her nursing pillow. I have an inflatable one for travel that i figured i can 1/2 inflate each time. Any tips or sharing your experience would be awesome, thanks!

I nursed my 4 month old in a Babyhawk mei tai. I wore a nursing tank, and just took one side down and wiggled her around a little bit, and it seemed to work fine. The cool thing about a mei tai is that it can back carry, too, which is much more comfortable for a larger baby. I put her in the front when I wanted to nurse, but most of the rest of the time she was on my back.

http://www.babyhawk.com

I never got the hang of nursing in a baby carrier, but I nursed my son all around WDW. (I loved my Babyhawk mei tai as well, though I would try any carrier at home before starting on vacation).

I think we went to the baby care center once (and just because it was convenient).

I nursed on rides, during shows, in restaurants, if I could find out of the way benches, etc. WDW, I found, was very nursing friendly. I agree with the above poster that I wore nursing tanks so everything was pretty covered at all times. My son was 10 months at the time of his first trip so we'd been doing it long enough that I was able to get by without a pillow (even though I used one at home). I always found that sitting with one leg up (for him to lean on) helped.

Good luck!

I never got the hang of nursing in a baby carrier, but I nursed my son all around WDW. (I loved my Babyhawk mei tai as well, though I would try any carrier at home before starting on vacation).

I think we went to the baby care center once (and just because it was convenient).

I nursed on rides, during shows, in restaurants, if I could find out of the way benches, etc. WDW, I found, was very nursing friendly. I agree with the above poster that I wore nursing tanks so everything was pretty covered at all times. My son was 10 months at the time of his first trip so we'd been doing it long enough that I was able to get by without a pillow (even though I used one at home). I always found that sitting with one leg up (for him to lean on) helped.

Good luck!

i was looking for nursing tanks, but finding only Maternity ones. Where did you get yours? I remembered today that i can put the stroller in front of us to help feel more covered/blocked.

I breastfed all around WDW. I do like using the baby care centers when I'm nearby. It's a nice calm place for my older kids to play while I nurse, and for the husband to be able to sit down and relax with us. Otherwise, I just find a bench or whatever.

I nurse my 20 pound 1 year old in an ergo. I switch her around to the front (obviously lol), scooch her down a little bit, and let her eat.

I don't wear nursing tanks. After 3 kids, I've perfected getting her on without showing anything. I then use a receiving blanket to kind of cover my side fat lmao. If I do opt for a tank, I just wear a regular camisole. I'm cheap and see no reason to spend extra money on a tank just because it says nursing. I lift up my shirt, pull down the cami and the bra cup, and shove the baby on.

I've nursed just about everywhere in WDW and on most of the dark rides--oh, and standing in the flying carpets ride. You can make it work! There are lots of quiet, out of the way places for nursing a distractable little one. The baby care center is also nice, but be prepared for some chaos there, too. You can hear everything going on outside the nursing room and sometimes it's loud.

And just to let you know, exposing your breast during breastfeeding (say, if baby pops off or for any other reason) is protected under Florida law as specifically NOT indecent exposure. I realize you most likely just don't want to show the world your boob, but I wanted to let you know the law was on your side. I'm nursing a 17-month-old. I know what it's like to have sudden exposure! ;)

Edited to add: I've had nothing but positive experiences with breastfeeding at WDW. We are locals and I've nursed there dozens of times (and pumped once, too) and the only time anyone ever said anything to me was to tell me what a great thing I was doing for my baby. Nurse on!

I never had any luck nursing in a carrier. My best advice would be to work on getting dd, and you, used to nursing with more commotion, if you can. It's a serious pain in the butt when you have one that pops of all the time. Honestly, I found fighting with the cover to be more problem than it was worth. I'd sit down, hold dd in the cradle hold and then pull my shirt and bra cup up. I'd pull my shirt back down to basically her face, so to see my breast at all, you'd literally have to be standing over top of me, purposely looking down. Dd covered the exposed part of my breast and my very white and stretch marked tummy. When I was done, I'd hand dd off to dh and he'd stand in front of us while I put the gun back in the holster. ;) I'd often use the blanket then to cover myself while I was getting decent. Honestly, I nursed my kiddos like that everywhere. It was easy, it wasn't hot, no one saw ANYTHING (I had this confirmed by my single male friend who would get all flustered and say "I didn't realize you were even doing that!" when I'd had dd off to put everything back ;)) And if they did see something, they had to be like in my business looking to see it.

Covering up while nursing at WDW would be torture for me and baby--it's too hot here! I agree with 3Gs--most likely no one will ever even notice you're nursing. And if they do, so what? You're doing what's best for your family :)

I got them at Target, but my son is 7 now so your milage may vary. Good luck!!

I got mine at Target, too, but once again it was many years ago. That being said, I was just bra-shopping in Target the other day (who would've guessed that Target bras would fit better than Victoria's Secret?), and noticed a whole nursing and maternity section. You might still be in luck.

I'm an avid baby wearer, and think that ring slings and wraps are the easiest to nurse in. With a wrap you'd want an adjustable carry like front cross carry or rebozo. I'll be bringing an almost 9 m/o in January, and we'll be using any bench we can snag - I don't believe in hiding out of sight, although I also don't intentionally flash the world. Do what makes you the most comfortable, and enjoy your trip!

I've nursed just about everywhere in WDW and on most of the dark rides--oh, and standing in the flying carpets ride. You can make it work! There are lots of quiet, out of the way places for nursing a distractable little one. The baby care center is also nice, but be prepared for some chaos there, too. You can hear everything going on outside the nursing room and sometimes it's loud.

And just to let you know, exposing your breast during breastfeeding (say, if baby pops off or for any other reason) is protected under Florida law as specifically NOT indecent exposure. I realize you most likely just don't want to show the world your boob, but I wanted to let you know the law was on your side. I'm nursing a 17-month-old. I know what it's like to have sudden exposure! ;)

Edited to add: I've had nothing but positive experiences with breastfeeding at WDW. We are locals and I've nursed there dozens of times (and pumped once, too) and the only time anyone ever said anything to me was to tell me what a great thing I was doing for my baby. Nurse on!
17months! you are awesome. Made it 18 with my last and will have a 10mth old on our trip in dec. first time nursing in disney. so happy to hear positive comments.

Lots of good tips above. Just wanted to add that I did it, too. Found plenty of out of the way places. But when more in public, there is kind of a white noise about the hubbub in some places. Maybe you'll find that helpful in easing distractions?

What a magical place to breastfeed, huh? :)

Nursing tanks are still available at Target, but if you want those, be sure to try them on before you commit (either buying in store or washing if you order online). I ordered online and washed and then tried them out and I found them hideously uncomfortable.

My personal preference is to wear a nursing bra with a regular cami tank top on top, and then another shirt layered on top of that. I can pull the outermost shirt up, the nursing bra and cami down, and very little of me is exposed and it's easy as pie. Cheaper too! :goodvibes

A few years ago our 18 month old loved nursing in ride lines, it was often dimly lit and sounds were more muffled then I thought they'd be. More of a constant din then a distraction. It was awkward holding her while standing, legs dangling and Mom's arms more then full, but was a good use of time once i got the hang of it. We're taking our newborn this week and I'm practising/refreshing my skill of nursing in my carriers. I like a ring sling for small babies and a soft structure carrier slid down to nurse for bigger babies. Tula is my favourite in that category but many brands are close to equal.

Our 3 year old was 4 months old for his 1st trip and I just nursed wherever. I've never been in the baby centers and wouldn't bother wasting my time trying to find one. I have a beco and learned the 1st day how to nurse in it. His next trip, he was 18 months old and it was too hot so I didn't wear him, so at that time we sat on a random bench or nursed while on a ride. It all can be done....there's plenty of spots to sit if need be. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter