Bright Star just called on the Dream

perditax

DIS Veteran
mostly just posting because it was announced to in-cabin speakers and it woke me up; Brighr Star is some kind of emergency code, and they listed a deck 8 cabin number. Hope it was nothing serious. We're en route back to PC.

Brightstar indicates the need for an emergency medical response. And yes, we've heard the announcement being made ship-wide at very late hours.

mostly just posting because it was announced to in-cabin speakers and it woke me up; Brighr Star is some kind of emergency code, and they listed a deck 8 cabin number. Hope it was nothing serious. We're en route back to PC.

I'm so anxious to hear about your cruise when you get back, can hardly wait to read another of your reviews. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

I'm so anxious to hear about your cruise when you get back, can hardly wait to read another of your reviews. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Thank you! Unfortunately my 'live report' style from the Getaway didn't translate to the Dream--I think it was a combo of our late dining seating and having a travel companion this time. By the end of the day I was all talked out. :) I will be writing everything up, and overall we definitely enjoyed ourselves.

what is brightstar?

It seems to be a cruise ship 'alert' code. The impression I got from google was that it's usually a fairly serious medical emergency, like a heart attack. Google also said that there is a code called 'rising star' that means someone has passed away.

I probably didn't need to make a thread about it, but the alert sounded in-room and woke me up, and since I'm a light sleeper I ended up on google to find out what the code meant, and since I had the internet open I figured I'd post. I'd never heard of that code before, only the more common ones like alpha/bravo.

We had one of those once on the Fantasy in the middle of the night. I could have sworn they said "North Star", though. Then again, I was half-asleep. We headed straight to Nassau (which wasn't even on the itinerary) instead of our scheduled CC stop. Once the passenger was off the ship, we headed to CC and got there around noon, IIRC.

Is it possible that "Bright Star" means they have to head straight to PC, and "North Star" means head straight to Nassau?

We had one of those once on the Fantasy in the middle of the night. I could have sworn they said "North Star", though. Then again, I was half-asleep. We headed straight to Nassau (which wasn't even on the itinerary) instead of our scheduled CC stop. Once the passenger was off the ship, we headed to CC and got there around noon, IIRC.

Is it possible that "Bright Star" means they have to head straight to PC, and "North Star" means head straight to Nassau?

No, Bright Star is a medical emergency, there is no North Star, only in the sky :)

We've heard two Brightstar announcements. Once was on an Alaskan cruise, the other we were near Cozumel. Neither involved a diversion to an unplanned port. As I understand it, the announcement simply signals the need for a medical response to a certain area of the ship. If that's the case, they probably wouldn't know yet whether a diversion is needed.

DMIL fell and hit her head on the way into the dining room on the Magic one night. (She was o.k. but had a major head ache for several days later.) Medical personnel seemed to come out of the woodwork. We had no idea how they got to the atrium so quickly. Later we found out about Brightstar.

Yes a Bright Star is code for any medical emergency. It basically let's all crew know that something is going on and for the crew who have to respond where it is. We have lots of different codes so as not to stress out the guests :)

DMIL fell and hit her head on the way into the dining room on the Magic one night. (She was o.k. but had a major head ache for several days later.) Medical personnel seemed to come out of the woodwork. We had no idea how they got to the atrium so quickly. Later we found out about Brightstar.

I'm so glad she was OK.

We had a Bright Star call on two of our cruises, the first time being the second Hawaii cruise on the Wonder. The cabin was just a few doors down from us and we chatted about it at dinner the next night with our table mates. I swore I heard "The sun is shining, the sun is shining" but I was quickly corrected.

Yes a Bright Star is code for any medical emergency. It basically let's all crew know that something is going on and for the crew who have to respond where it is. We have lots of different codes so as not to stress out the guests :)

Red and blue party's and Mr Mob too from what I've read?

Red and blue party's and Mr Mob too from what I've read?
We had "red party, red party" announced during a dinner and one of the servers stopped and looked worried. It was canceled a few mins. later. I found out what that meant...no wondered he looked worried. It means a fire on board.

on our cruise in January, there was a call for red party during lunch. Saw lots of cast members go running off. There was some kind of small fire near the spa. The also had some drills for Mr Mob (Man overboard)

The same thing happened to us on the Fantasy in 2013. I woke up early to go on deck to do some yoga and looked out and saw Atlantis approaching. 45 minutes later we were up in Cabanas eating after docking and low and behold the Dream came into port and parked next to us. It was really cool to hear the captains sound the horns back and forth while ported together. The CM's thought it was great too as they were able to talk from ship to ship through either the wave phones or walkie talkies, (can't remember which).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter