Brightline on Hold Again

happycamper47

DIS Veteran
Anybody thinking of using Brightline to get to Miami from Orlando that route is on hold until at least September..
From WSVN Miami:

ORLANDO, FLA. (WSVN) - The launch date for Brightline’s new Orlando rail extension has been delayed.

The high-speed rail line has already sold tickets for rides on Sept. 1 over the Labor Day weekend from South Florida to its new station at Orlando International Airport

Customers who have booked trips were told that they have been put on hold and that refunds will be issued.

The company said they need more time to work on certifications and crew testing. Their schedule is now showing no trips until at least Sept. 15.

Last edited:

For sure, but it really messed up plans for some cruisers..especially if they have non refundable flights.
I read another article that said that those who had their trips cancelled were given vouchers for AVIS (and maybe some other compensation)? So it sounds like Brightline is at least trying to help those with nonrefundable flights.

I read another article that said that those who had their trips cancelled were given vouchers for AVIS (and maybe some other compensation)? So it sounds like Brightline is at least trying to help those with nonrefundable flights.
It’s a discount for Avis (I haven’t priced it out yet to compare the cost) and a credit for a future trip, if I understand the email correctly. Crossing the state in a rental car after disembarking isn’t exactly how I wanted to spend the day, but the gesture is appreciated.

It’s a discount for Avis (I haven’t priced it out yet to compare the cost) and a credit for a future trip, if I understand the email correctly. Crossing the state in a rental car after disembarking isn’t exactly how I wanted to spend the day, but the gesture is appreciated.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I knew I read something about Avis, but I couldn't remember the details and then couldn't find them.

I totally agree it's not ideal having to drive across the state, but I also get that Brightline's hands are tied here. They could have just cancelled, so it is nice they are recognizing the situation they might be putting people in and are trying to help (even if that solution isn't ideal).

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I knew I read something about Avis, but I couldn't remember the details and then couldn't find them.

I totally agree it's not ideal having to drive across the state, but I also get that Brightline's hands are tied here. They could have just cancelled, so it is nice they are recognizing the situation they might be putting people in and are trying to help (even if that solution isn't ideal).
Absolutely. We’re having to deal with an AirBNB host cancelling our house over a holiday and were offered zilch as compensation for the position they’ve put us in.

I wouldn't consider it until 3 months into whenever they get started. I would find an alternate way of getting to the port...trust me, a smooth day is better than one with bumps along the way! PS I live in FL and can't wait until it is up and running...it will keep me from running! Lol Have a great cruise! 🙂

They sent the cancellation email to many travelers (including some October travelers) in error and they sent out an email retraction today.
Interesting - I haven’t gotten one yet but will be on the lookout. I hope they honor the ticket price we paid a few months ago, it’s more expensive now.

Brightline said it won’t be able to start service to or from Orlando by Sept. 21.

Just announced another delay. I did not however hear the new start date.

I priced out tickets to ride the train from FTL to MCO for 4 of us round trip over thanksgiving instead of driving and at $480 it’s just not practical to spend that money when we can get up and back in our car for $100 in gas, as much as I’d like to sit back and relax instead of driving. Plus we’d have to add the transportation cost from MCO to WDW. I hope they will offer some specials later on once it’s open and running smoothly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter