brightline update

Well-done video.

I personally don't think Brightline is going to be a great option for MCO-WDW connections.

I'm sure there are things they could do if the route ends up being the direct route to WDW, but if it goes to Universal and Sea World first I think that will kill it for WDW visitors. "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

But even in the best of circumstances, I don't see Brightline as the way to go to WDW.

The answer to the discontinuation of DME -- to me -- is to stay offsite and rent a car. We just drive up from Miami anyway, so this doesn't affect us, but offsite is what we've done exclusively in recent years. Staying offsite is less expensive, but to me the most important benefits are that it opens up an entire galaxy of attractions, dining, shopping, and other options. There is a ton of stuff to see and do in Orlando, and WDW is only one part of it.

So to me, the proper response to the end of DME is to pop the bubble.

We will probably not ever ride Brightline to WDW, but we really hope they have it finished by the time DD graduates from UCF (NE of Orlando) so we can ride it up to MCO to visit her.

Well-done video.

I personally don't think Brightline is going to be a great option for MCO-WDW connections.

I'm sure there are things they could do if the route ends up being the direct route to WDW, but if it goes to Universal and Sea World first I think that will kill it for WDW visitors. "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

But even in the best of circumstances, I don't see Brightline as the way to go to WDW.

The answer to the discontinuation of DME -- to me -- is to stay offsite and rent a car. We just drive up from Miami anyway, so this doesn't affect us, but offsite is what we've done exclusively in recent years. Staying offsite is less expensive, but to me the most important benefits are that it opens up an entire galaxy of attractions, dining, shopping, and other options. There is a ton of stuff to see and do in Orlando, and WDW is only one part of it.

So to me, the proper response to the end of DME is to pop the bubble.

We will probably not ever ride Brightline to WDW, but we really hope they have it finished by the time DD graduates from UCF (NE of Orlando) so we can ride it up to MCO to visit her.
I agree that from MCO to Disney + luggage is not ideal for most travelers. For us it's going to be Amazing, we live in Palm beach county ,South Florida. ( so not far from you) The brightline goes right behind my house.
It's a 3 hour drive to Disney currently , so we dont go much With a train that would change, if the price is not ridiculous.
Where I do see some more options is people taking flights. You now can fly into MIA or FLL catch a train.

Where I do see some more options is people taking flights. You now can fly into MIA or FLL catch a train.
Right. Orlando has good flight options, but Brightline will add PBI, FLL and MIA to the mix. The more choices, the more competition, the better.

There is also going to be a very short extension of the line to Port Miami, which is the busiest cruise port in the world. I think that will become a great option for people with longer vacations -- WDW + a nice Caribbean cruise!

Pick up your luggage. Schelp your luggage through MCO, take a tram to the S terminal, an $$$ train ride to DS then find your way to your resort.

JMO but it will only work if Disney wants it to work. You'll need buses from DS. You'll want DME luggage handling.

Rental car, car service or ride share is likely to be faster and cheaper.

Right. Orlando has good flight options, but Brightline will add PBI, FLL and MIA to the mix. The more choices, the more competition, the better.

There is also going to be a very short extension of the line to Port Miami, which is the busiest cruise port in the world. I think that will become a great option for people with longer vacations -- WDW + a nice Caribbean cruise!
I forgot about cruises, great point !

Speaking of Cruise Ports, will this train have a station at Port Canaveral? Would be very convenient to fly to MCO and train to the cruise. Didn't catch that in the video.

Speaking of Cruise Ports, will this train have a station at Port Canaveral? Would be very convenient to fly to MCO and train to the cruise. Didn't catch that in the video.
No, and no stops anywhere between MCO and West Palm Beach...so far. That could change of course, but an actual spur to Port Canaveral wouldn't make much sense.

Just FYI, DCL also sails from Miami.

From what I heard here is that untill some lawsuit between brightline and virgin, and brevard county will not give any money to the project
The people in that area are upset they wont have access to the train. I have family in Melborne and they want to use the train to come south but the closest stop is mco and that's an hour in the wrong direction.

From what I heard here is that untill some lawsuit between brightline and virgin, and brevard county will not give any money to the project
The people in that area are upset they wont have access to the train. I have family in Melborne and they want to use the train to come south but the closest stop is mco and that's an hour in the wrong direction.
If what happened in South Florida happens up there, there will eventually be additional stations.

Here in South Florida, there were originally only going to be stations in WPB, Ft. Laud, and Miami. Now, they're extending to Port Miami, and there are additional stations planned at Aventura in North Dade and Boca Raton in Southern Palm Beach county. I think the Aventura station is actually under construction.

The Port Miami station was a no-brainer. The track already exists and the trains will be creeping through the heart of downtown, so no upgrading is needed. Terminal construction would be a nominal expense. I don't know the details of the Boca or Aventura stations, but both communities are wealthy so they are probably contributing.

To me, stations at either Ft Pierce or Port St. Lucie and another in the Melbourne-Cocoa area make sense. They actually make more sense than Disney Springs because both of those areas are pretty populous now.

If what happened in South Florida happens up there, there will eventually be additional stations.

Here in South Florida, there were originally only going to be stations in WPB, Ft. Laud, and Miami. Now, they're extending to Port Miami, and there are additional stations planned at Aventura in North Dade and Boca Raton in Southern Palm Beach county. I think the Aventura station is actually under construction.

The Port Miami station was a no-brainer. The track already exists and the trains will be creeping through the heart of downtown, so no upgrading is needed. Terminal construction would be a nominal expense. I don't know the details of the Boca or Aventura stations, but both communities are wealthy so they are probably contributing.

To me, stations at either Ft Pierce or Port St. Lucie and another in the Melbourne-Cocoa area make sense. They actually make more sense than Disney Springs because both of those areas are pretty populous now.
I live near the boca station , they also bought the old museum on Old Dixie I guess some kinda a future project.

The problem comes in at too many stations too many stops then it will take forever. Similar to why it takes so long to take a tri rail ( I know it's also slower) . But you are right eventually Brevard county will see a demand and throw some money at it.

every station added decreases "high speed" ........

as does "and the trains will be creeping through the heart of downtown"

there's already a train that makes a bunch of stops in the greater Miami area and the advantage of BL was supposed to be speed ..... add stations and "creeping" and what's the advantage?

these folks have a BAD business model and it keeps getting worse which explains why major investors RUN AWAY .....

The problem comes in at too many stations too many stops then it will take forever.
Not necessarily as big a delay as you might think.

Don't forget that much of the route up the East Coast is right alongside US 1, right through the towns along the way, and with frequent crossings that slow the train to 25-30 mph. Much of that distance is going to be at low speed anyway. They're not going to be going 80-100+ mph along the east coast. So a couple of 5 minute stops won't add much time.

Tri-rail has 18 stops -- we're talking about two additional stops here, and the stops will be very brief.

Don't forget that much of the route up the East Coast is right alongside US 1, right through the towns along the way, and with frequent crossings that slow the train to 25-30 mph. Much of that distance is going to be at low speed anyway. They're not going to be going 80-100+ mph along the east coast.

TRUE ..... the route from West Palm to Cocoa for now appear to use EXISTING rail or at best parallel rail with road crossings which limits speed or support DEATH as I've mentioned. You can't achieve 'high speed' with road grade crossings! Ever ridden high speed trains in Europe or Japan? The train bed is either ABOVE or BELOW road crossings ...... no lil' crossing gates to provide 'safety' . . .

p.s. not MUCH .... ALL!!!!

Seems like this isn't very popular here, but I love trains, so I'm all in! This country needs more trains. They're so much fun and way more environmentally friendly than driving.

Imagine having a glass of wine as the scenery goes by, knowing you're on your way to Disney! No headache or hassle of getting a rental car, or parking. In my experience, they are way more comfortable than busses - and certainly cause me less motion sickness.

Pick up your luggage. Schelp your luggage through MCO, take a tram to the S terminal, an $$$ train ride to DS then find your way to your resort.

JMO but it will only work if Disney wants it to work. You'll need buses from DS. You'll want DME luggage handling.

Rental car, car service or ride share is likely to be faster and cheaper.
Once again: This is not being built to carry passengers between MCO & WDW. It's being built to carry passengers between So. FL & Orlando, and in the future between Orlando & Tampa. WDW is just an additional stop in Orlando.
No, and no stops anywhere between MCO and West Palm Beach...so far. That could change of course, but an actual spur to Port Canaveral wouldn't make much sense.

Just FYI, DCL also sails from Miami.
Brightline has already said that there will be 2 or 3 stations added on the way.
Not necessarily as big a delay as you might think.

Don't forget that much of the route up the East Coast is right alongside US 1, right through the towns along the way, and with frequent crossings that slow the train to 25-30 mph. Much of that distance is going to be at low speed anyway. They're not going to be going 80-100+ mph along the east coast. So a couple of 5 minute stops won't add much time.

Tri-rail has 18 stops -- we're talking about two additional stops here, and the stops will be very brief.
NO! The expected speed between W. Palm & Cocoa is 110mph. The trains did not slow down for grade crossings between W. Palm & Miami, nor will they do so between W. Palm & Cocoa. Crossings will be enhanced with gates that block the entire width of the roadway on both sides. They may also have intrusion detection that signals a train to stop (or may stop it automatically) if a vehicle is on the tracks when the gates drop.

NO! The expected speed between W. Palm & Cocoa is 110mph. The trains did not slow down for grade crossings between W. Palm & Miami, nor will they do so between W. Palm & Cocoa. Crossings will be enhanced with gates that block the entire width of the roadway on both sides. They may also have intrusion detection that signals a train to stop (or may stop it automatically) if a vehicle is on the tracks when the gates drop.
Yeah, lol. Wait until the first few deaths where some druggie walks onto the tracks. Cars are not the problem.

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/29/7999...iest After High Rate Of,up most of the deaths.

Once again: This is not being built to carry passengers between MCO & WDW. It's being built to carry passengers between So. FL & Orlando, and in the future between Orlando & Tampa. WDW is just an additional stop in Orlando.
The first few minutes of the promotional video talks about the end of DME. This is a Disney forum. People are questioning how train could replace DME transfers. The answer is probably not very well.

Grade level crossings may be a problem.

People are questioning how train could replace DME transfers. The answer is probably not very well.
Agree. A train that runs once an hour, or even every 30 minutes, to Disney Springs is NOT going to replace DME. When you get to DS...then what?

I honestly don't see the rationale for a Disney Springs stop unless the tracks are already there. Mears, Uber, etc from MCO would be easier and probably less expensive.

The first few minutes of the promotional video talks about the end of DME. This is a Disney forum. People are questioning how train could replace DME transfers. The answer is probably not very well.
OK, if people still think it's to replace DME, then I am doing my part to educate them that that is not the purpose! That has been stated over and over again by Brightline management.

It wasn't a promotional video, it was a fan video. And if the fan that made it thinks Brightline is intending to replace DME, then he clearly doesn't understand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter