Bring back more guest experiences please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are returning to Disney for the first time in 6 years in early June. With the recent CDC updates and the new mask optional policy when walking around outdoors, I also noticed that park avail has increased as well. Whereas before, the only avail park was Epcot, I'm now seeing more avail on the June calendar.

Anyone know if Disney is preparing to open up more guest experiences? Typically, many of us spend quite a bit of time not only on rides, but on line for meet & greets, enjoying shows, parades, etc. If they simply increase capacity but don't bring back more experiences, the lines are going to be disastrous.

Thoughts???
Unfortunately, we're in the same boat as you. With the CDC announcement Disney was very quick to increase the capacity levels to who knows what levels. I think that they are opening the flood gates and then doing damage control. I think that there will be a transition period where the crowds will overwhelm the infrastructure and in my opinion that will be around early June. When we were there in February, the supposed 35% levels seemed busier than previous June visits due to the lack of "crowd eaters". I have contemplated cancelling our June trip, but my wife wants to still go at this point, so I guess we will just hope for the best. Good Luck

I'm looking on the app at wait times today and I don't think it's my imagination that they appear to be increasing significantly from what they have been. I understand that's to be expected due to the increasing capacity, but if they don't bring back more guest experiences quickly to spread people out then I completely agree that stand by lines are going to be dreadful very, very soon. I have a trip scheduled for August, so I will be watching all this carefully. They are going to need to do something...I just priced my same dates at Universal in a deluxe hotel with included Express Passes and the cost wasn't too far off (and my stay at Disney is at Pop Century).

Last edited:
You are correct, and it's not like they haven't been investing in the parks. Maybe they're not investing where certian people want them to be, but the number of new rides being added has been pretty high, if a bit slow moving. A lot of this stuff is very subjective.

This is me. I feel like they are investing a ton of money in the parks, I just don't love where the money is going. The new lands are beautiful, immersive and well executed. However, the things that got us hooked on WDW are receiving less attention. I'm not complaining. Some people seem to love the changes. We've made many memories there, and there are still more to be made. But I do still wish that we could relive the same WDW from our first family trip. I wouldn't have changed a thing about that WDW.

This is me. I feel like they are investing a ton of money in the parks, I just don't love where the money is going. The new lands are beautiful, immersive and well executed. However, the things that got us hooked on WDW are receiving less attention. I'm not complaining. Some people seem to love the changes. We've made many memories there, and there are still more to be made. But I do still wish that we could relive the same WDW from our first family trip. I wouldn't have changed a thing about that WDW.

See, and that's perfectly understandable. Some people are more reactionary about it though. On the plus side, they are going to reach a point where this "build phase" is pretty much done, then they will start with those other kinds of experiences again.

That’s unlikely to be the case. An 80% recall rate is a lot higher than I would have expected it to be.
I agree, it could also be that 20% of the CM can make more money on UEC + Covid relief than working full time. Add to this that many could also be saving in child care expenses and it is a no brainer to not come back--until the Covid relief funds run out.

See, and that's perfectly understandable. Some people are more reactionary about it though. On the plus side, they are going to reach a point where this "build phase" is pretty much done, then they will start with those other kinds of experiences again.

I hope it does get back to that. Memories used to be made for us. We didn't have to do anything but show up and something amazing would happen. It usually wasn't the big things either. A lot of our memories are from the little unexpected moments. For me, I was a repeat visitor for the atmosphere.

Yes money talks, but they don't want bad PR or parks full of hot, unhappy, bored guests.
If they are going to increase park capacity then they need to have the staffing, restaurants, hotels, and shows/attractions operating to handle it. Reducing distancing may help cram more people into lines, but even at 35% the lines for many attractions were getting insanely long. Imagine what those lines are going to look like at 50-60+% in summer months, and the overflow having no place to go except other lines.
There is so pent up travel demand right now that Disney doesn't need to offer more to draw tourists.
If customers are willing to pay with fewer offerings, why should executives think any differently? Customers are voting with their dollars.
With the CDC announcement Disney was very quick to increase the capacity levels to who knows what levels. I think that they are opening the flood gates and then doing damage control. I think that there will be a transition period where the crowds will overwhelm the infrastructure
A lot of wisdom in this thread, in my humble opinion. We are booked for July, and are quite nervous about what to expect. I think the bean counters are pushing to increase capacity as quickly as possible to make up for lost profits. You can certainly understand why. And customers who have been trapped at home for a year are gobbling up the park passes as soon as they are released.

But it takes a lot longer to staff back up, and to reopen enough rides, shows, restaurants, entertainment, shopping, and infrastructure to successfully absorb the increased crowds. I think the risk of a miserable summer where the crowds overwhelm the available experiences is very real.

I wish Disney would keep the crowds artificially low -- even as the CDC authorizes more -- until they can guarantee a good experience for everyone. In the short run, it is hard to turn down customers who are willing to pump money into your depleted coffers. But in the long run, Disney could be shooting itself in the foot if it isn't careful.

A lot of wisdom in this thread, in my humble opinion. We are booked for July, and are quite nervous about what to expect. I think the bean counters are pushing to increase capacity as quickly as possible to make up for lost profits. You can certainly understand why. And customers who have been trapped at home for a year are gobbling up the park passes as soon as they are released.

But it takes a lot longer to staff back up, and to reopen enough rides, shows, restaurants, entertainment, shopping, and infrastructure to successfully absorb the increased crowds. I think the risk of a miserable summer where the crowds overwhelm the available experiences is very real.

I wish Disney would keep the crowds artificially low -- even as the CDC authorizes more -- until they can guarantee a good experience for everyone. In the short run, it is hard to turn down customers who are willing to pump money into your depleted coffers. But in the long run, Disney could be shooting itself in the foot if it isn't careful.

I’m not worried about Disney shooting itself in the foot since there aren’t a lot of alternatives.

Correct they will have collected their bonuses and floated off on their Golden parachutes (which ought to be illegal) leaving others to deal with the wreckage of the legacy which took decades to builld but is well on its way to destruction.

wow. Dude. I sit here and scroll through to get excited and be happy and find out what’s a-happening in Disney world.I never look at who is writing what beforehand. That said, without fail-every time I read a horribly angry and pessimistic post - I scroll up and it’s you. I feel bad. Why are so angry? I’m really asking. Everyone has their own story and path, but geez Louise - it can’t be fun to be so negative all the time -especially about something fun like Disney! Why not just put it in your past? I hope things get better for you and you get some enjoyment out of Disney. Or that you find something else that fills that’s for you. Peace.

If customers are willing to pay with fewer offerings, why should executives think any differently? Customers are voting with their dollars.

Unfortunately 100% correct and the danger is since people are willing to pay more money for a reduced experience what is the incentive to bring things back to pre-Covid levels.

I watch all the things i enjoyed at Disney slowly becoming part of Yesterland and all for the sake of showing Wall Street that Disney is a ‘growth’ company. That’s what really makes me despise the current generation of Disney management.

At one time Disney meant entertainment for the whole family. Now its just a ‘Brand’ to be milked of value. And that makes me really sad.

wow. Dude. I sit here and scroll through to get excited and be happy and find out what’s a-happening in Disney world.I never look at who is writing what beforehand. That said, without fail-every time I read a horribly angry and pessimistic post - I scroll up and it’s you. I feel bad. Why are so angry? I’m really asking. Everyone has their own story and path, but geez Louise - it can’t be fun to be so negative all the time -especially about something fun like Disney! Why not just put it in your past? I hope things get better for you and you get some enjoyment out of Disney. Or that you find something else that fills that’s for you. Peace.

My ideals are Walt Disney’s ideals, I am trying to make people realize the current Disney management is sacrificing everything that made Disney great all for the sake of short term profits for Wall Street.

When the best thing about Disney is not a new attraction or experience but the stock price something is seriously wrong. We are going on 20 years now since the last real E ticket ride was built (Expedition Everest)

We are talking about the company that Walt Disney bet his house and savings on because he believed in what he was doing would bring joy to millions across generations and he was correct in his vision.

Contrast that outlook with a management team whose greed makes Flintheart Glomgold look like Mother Theresa.

My ideals are Walt Disney’s ideals, I am trying to make people realize the current Disney management is sacrificing everything that made Disney great all for the sake of short term profits for Wall Street.

When the best thing about Disney is not a new attraction or experience but the stock price something is seriously wrong. We are going on 20 years now since the last real E ticket ride was built (Expedition Everest)

We are talking about the company that Walt Disney bet his house and savings on because he believed in what he was doing would bring joy to millions across generations and he was correct in his vision.

Contrast that outlook with a management team whose greed makes Flintheart Glomgold look like Mother Theresa.
What the heck is your definition of E ticket ride if SDMT, FOP, ROTR, SDD, MMRR aren't? The amount they have built in the last 10 years even is insane. With even more coming. The last 5-ish years have been by far the best years of WDW for me. Also cool that you seem to know Walt so well to know what he would want right now.

I don't know how anybody could not consider RotR an E-ticket attraction. That debuted on December 5, 2019 so less than two years ago.

You don't have to like the direction Disney is going in. I'm certainly not one to shy away from criticizing Disney management but bashing them in every post for literally every decision they make seems excessive and unproductive. People just start to tune it out. Perhaps just vote with your wallet and move on?

Unfortunately 100% correct and the danger is since people are willing to pay more money for a reduced experience what is the incentive to bring things back to pre-Covid levels.

I watch all the things i enjoyed at Disney slowly becoming part of Yesterland and all for the sake of showing Wall Street that Disney is a ‘growth’ company. That’s what really makes me despise the current generation of Disney management.

At one time Disney meant entertainment for the whole family. Now its just a ‘Brand’ to be milked of value. And that makes me really sad.

WDW peaked for me in the 90s while Disney animation had a second revival. Since then it's become a planning paradise. I'm not into planning that much.

Here's a site to bring back the memories:

https://yesterland.com/
And here's why its a better investment than vacation:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/02/how-much-a-disney-world-ticket-cost-the-year-you-were-born.html

Last edited:
What the heck is your definition of E ticket ride if SDMT, FOP, ROTR, SDD, MMRR aren't? The amount they have built in the last 10 years even is insane. With even more coming. The last 5-ish years have been by far the best years of WDW for me. Also cool that you seem to know Walt so well to know what he would want right now.
Just guessing but I'm assuming they don't count anything based on an IP instead of being something created just for the parks. IP saturation has gotten very high in the past few years, and some like that but some really do not.

Flintheart Glomgold reference...here take your obligatory like! (I see your point though!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter