Bringing 6 y.o. nephew...need tips

skuttle

DIS Veteran
DH and I don't have any kids, but we are planning on bringing his sister and her 6 y.o. son to WDW in August. My SIL went to WDW a bunch of times as a child. But this will be my nephew's first trip to WDW...actually, it'll be his first real vacation. :)

Any tips, must-do's, etc would be greatly appreciated! THANKS! :D

What a wonderful thing to do. A few suggestions I have would be: Make up a bag of surprises for him - You can really get some neat "Disney themed" things and give them to him on the trip to Orlando or possibly something each day. Kids love the little things you can find at the dollar stores etc.... and it helps to make the trip time pass by more quickly. If he has a birthday coming up before the trip you could get him some Disney dollars. They can be used at all of the parks just like regular money. You could by him a disposable camera, autograph book, fat pens for characters to sign book with, Guest of Honor badge, or any type of things he will need for the trip so he can build up some anticipation for the trip. Another idea would be to buy him a WDW guide book (such as the WDW for kids by kids). That way he could pick out some of the things he would like to see and do while he is there. Also, you could order the free planning video from Disney so he could watch it and get an idea of what it will be like there. Whatever you do I'm sure he will enjoy since he is obviously loved by you and your husband. Happy planning!

Thanks so much! His 6th birthday is actually in July so I'll have to start thinking about some Disney stuff to get him! I'll probably do Disney Dollars and one of the planning videos. Maybe a guide book, too!!

I already planned on making him a basket w/ camera, pen, and autograph book. But I completely forgot about that 12 hour car ride! LOL !! I'll have to find some stuff to keep him busy on that!

Thanks again!

Here's some old fashioned advice - from a car trip with my 2 boys last summer.....
I found a crayola lap desk for each boy that slid open and came with paper, kid-friendly scissors and colored pencils (I took the markers out - I like my car seats taupe). Those things kep each of them (4 & 6) busy for longer than I'd every imagined. They drew me 'gifts' and presented them to me - flowers, etc. - and played games.

Also, I don't know about your nephew, but my 6 yo is an avid reader. I picked up a bunch of new books and put them in a special trip bag that he couldn't see - and that way he had a bunch of new books to keep him occupied. There's always gameboys and such, but I found that the tried and true did a better job of entertaining him. One other thing I did was get one of the plastic "bags" (like rubbermaid, with a flat bottom) that fit in between the boys seats in the van. It held all their stuff and they could dig through it without it falling over. I won't take another long car trip without it.

Another great thing about the lap desk - it became a great 'tray' to eat those fast food drive thru meals on!

Have a wonderful time:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter