Bringing coffee to breakfast?

My spouse drinks doppios (double espresso shot). It was so bitter it was unthinkable. My Americano was bitter, but the sugar and milk made ir palatable. We used to have an Illy machine, so I am a fan of them. Wondered about giving The Cove Cafe another try, but wasn't willing to waste another $7.

One thing I forgot to mention is we do back sandwich bags to dump our coffee groumds. I don't want the room stewards to have to deal with that mess on a daily basis!

I had thought about the baggies, thanks for confirming I wasn't just being picky! :-)

LOL I homeschool my two, so I totally get that!
That's cool that you homeschool. It's almost becoming routine. When it is, I'm going to put mine in school just to be different. Just kidding. We're in it for life.

I see that you're going on the Western Caribbean. We just got off the Magic WC. Our first of many cruises and we loved it. I can't imagine a Star Wars cruise. You should see the Star Wars earrings that I made from Shrinky Dinks. I'm even getting a Jango Fett tattoo as soon as I can work up the nerve and find a place to put it on my body that won't eventually sag. :tongue:

Is the coffee on board really that bad? Is it worse than what they serve at WDW?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I couldn't start a new one from my iPhone.

Love this post! Thank you for the tips on the Tea set-up. We brought on our last cruise about 16 Individual Starbucks Double shot Espresso cans and they worked out great. We also learned our lesson on buying redbull on board. We were able to get it at the bar but it was so expensive! We are bringing a case this time! We didn't think we would need it being on vacation, but it was kind of nice since we were doing a little bit more drinking than usual! (It is a vacation!)

Can you get sweetened iced tea?

If you are looking for true southern sweet tea, the answer is no. What I did was have them bring me a hot tea set up and a big glass of ice. I made my tea with sugar then poured it over ice. For those of us who love sweet tea, adding sugar to cold tea does nothing.

They have hot water at the drink stations so people can make tea & hot cocoa with the packets supplied, so I would assume you can use it for your coffee as well. They prefer you to use a new cup each time you fill up at the drink station, but if you need our own mug you could always pour it in there once you get it set up.

We brought our own french press on our last cruise. I brought sandwich bags - each with enough coffee for a french press "serving." We would fill the press with hot water at the drink station each morning. We preferred doing that to having room service bring hot water, but that works too. We really enjoyed having our own good coffee with us! I believe DCL has changed the coffee brand since we sailed last. Don't know if the new brand is any better than the old.

Jodie

Is the coffee on board really that bad? Is it worse than what they serve at WDW?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I couldn't start a new one from my iPhone.

So think Denny's coffee. Cabana's coffee was like Denny's. The coffee from the beverage station was like watered-down Denny's coffee. The coffee in the MDRs was better than Cabana's. Palo's coffee was good. The Cove coffee was passable and palatable. We ordered room service coffee and added Via to it and it was fine.

One of the areas that Disney could improve on, in my humble opinion. But my blood type is espresso, so I'm biased.

While on my last cruise my table mates where in the coffee business. Anyway they had these instant coffee packages and all you needed to do was add water. Anyway they gave me a bunch that I used for breakfast and dinner while on the ship.

A suggestion to avoid having to wash your cup or bring an open coffee cup with you to the MDR is to grab a few of the disposables up at the drink station (w/lids) and leave in your room for when you make your coffee... then when you are done, you can toss it... the cup could also be used for the grinds if you don't bring baggies.

If you are looking for true southern sweet tea, the answer is no. What I did was have them bring me a hot tea set up and a big glass of ice. I made my tea with sugar then poured it over ice. For those of us who love sweet tea, adding sugar to cold tea does nothing.

Thank you for this idea! Sweet tea must be brewed with sugar. I always tell people, you wouldn't add sugar AFTER you baked brownies. You can't add sugar after you brew tea.

Thank you for this idea! Sweet tea must be brewed with sugar. I always tell people, you wouldn't add sugar AFTER you baked brownies. You can't add sugar after you brew tea.

Sweet tea is a bit overpowering for me but could you make and bring a simple syrup to sweeten your tea while brewing for sweet tea? Would a simple syrup liquid be easier to incorporate into the tea? Just curious as I never made sweet tea.

MJ

I bring my own tea bags everywhere I travel, and sometimes have to order tea, and say that I really only need the hot water. I'm really picky about my tea, and my brand is rarely offered anywhere. I used to feel weird about it, but it's never seemed to bother anyone.o_O I'd bring your own coffee if it adds to your enjoyment of your cruise!

Sweet tea is a bit overpowering for me but could you make and bring a simple syrup to sweeten your tea while brewing for sweet tea? Would a simple syrup liquid be easier to incorporate into the tea? Just curious as I never made sweet tea.

MJ

Yes, you could and that's how some people brew their tea. I'm not that picky as long as it's sweet. I'd be fine with a bottle of gold peak to be honest. I anticipate, I'll just stick to sprite or the specialty drinks (since it is vacation after all)

All you need is a Melitta single cup brewer (pour over), your favorite ground coffee and some #2 cone filters. That and some good hot water and your favorite travel mug....easy peasy.
This is exactly what we did this past December. I need a good cup of coffee, and the drink station coffee is far from good! I don't know how many people stopped when we were brewing our cup at breakfast asking us where we got the Melitta cones. They said the smell of fresh brewed coffee made them look around to find where it was coming from. Many crew members said that they looked for them in stores but couldn't find them. We would go to the drink station, fill a styrofoam cup of hot water then take another cup to brew the coffee into, no guessing if the cup would overflow. The drink station also has real cream, but in the dining rooms we only found coffemate creamers...Yuck!

MJ
You could do this but still not the same. Cold water doesn't mix as well even with simple syrup.

Also, I bring as little as possible sin pace we fly to our destination.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter